The Avengers/Marvel Comics thread

caulfield12

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118053403?refCatId=13

By the way, I've already seen this movie twice but I'll wait until this weekend to make any more comments about it when everyone in the US has a chance to start watching it. It's the best movie by far I've seen this year.

"The main idea is to make a movie that appeals to both the fanboys and fangirls who have known these characters for years and to those who are hearing about them for the first time in the trailer," (studio president Kevin) Feige said. "It's a bit of a fine line."

Despite all the planning for "The Avengers," Feige was still surprised at "how quickly people embraced the notion of the superhero team-up," he said.

"I thought it would be a slower burn and that it would just be fans wanting that," he said. "Then the Monday after 'Iron Man' opened, and Sam Jackson was in the eyepatch, everyone started talking about 'The Avengers.'"

Six years later, Marvel is now planning "Avengers" sequels. It's also developing films around Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, the Inhumans and Guardians of the Galaxy as potential new franchises, while the Johansson, Renner and Jackson characters could be spun off into their own standalone actioners. It already has sequels for "Iron Man," "Captain America" and "Thor" dated through 2014.

Disney will market and distribute all of those films. "Avengers" was its first after buying out the rights for the pic from Paramount, which released the "Iron Man," "Thor" and "Captain America" films.

The next "Captain America" will be set in the modern world -- not WWII -- and put the star-spangled hero in "a wholly different genre than we've done before," Feige said. "It's all about surprising the audience" with Marvel's films to keep audiences interested and coming back.

He's the ultimate fanboy he wants to keep happy.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.salon.com/2012/05/02/the_avenge...vies_never_end/

This is a very long but well thought-out criticism of the comic book movie trend...kind of the intellectual film critic's response, which will get some predictable fanboy responses.

Agree with about 25% of what he has to say...everytime there's a popular "mainstream" movie like this which is also receiving a lot of critical praise, there's always going to be a handful to buck the trend and try to make themselves famous or controversial.

To be honest, I hate superheroes. I like the anti-heroes.

Instead of seeing super good babyfaced boy scouts like Superman, Batman, and Captain America, I rather see flawed and gritty anti-heroes like the Punisher, Ghost Rider, Deadpool, etc.

I do lik Iron Man, though, as well as War Machine.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ May 2, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
To be honest, I hate superheroes. I like the anti-heroes.

Instead of seeing super good babyfaced boy scouts like Superman, Batman, and Captain America, I rather see flawed and gritty anti-heroes like the Punisher, Ghost Rider, Deadpool, etc.

I do lik Iron Man, though, as well as War Machine.

Deadpool and Punisher are great.

This is why I love Spider-Man most of all heroes though. He's a complicated character, he tries to do good but s*** haunts him.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3433&p=.htm

For those of you looking forward to all the summer movies, this is a pretty comprehensive ranking of how they're currently predicted to do.

#1 Batman at $500 million domestically, #2 Avengers at $420 million and #3 The Spiderman reboot with Garfield/Stone. The Avengers originally profiled closer to the two Iron Man movies but has now bounced up by at least $100 million in most predictions, I've seen estimates of around $160-190 million for this weekend.

BTW, starting to look forward to the Bourne movie more because Renner's done a good job in MI and Avengers convincing us that he can pull it off. I would actually argue that changing Tobey Maguire out will end up hurting that movie more than losing Damon, but we'll see. IMO, Mark Ruffalo, though, had the most standout performance of all in Avengers.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2012 -> 08:05 AM)
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118053548

Avengers makes $65-70 million box office on Thurs/Fri, putting it right in line with Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.

Already close to $300 million and rising overseas.

According to boxofficemojo.com it made $80.5 Million on Friday counting the midnight showings.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
Oh, in case you read this first...this is non-spoiler but useful. There is a scene during the credits, then there is another short bit of footage after the credits.

God, that was funny.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 5, 2012 -> 09:42 PM)
It was awesome, and pretty damn funny.

Sucks to see Coulson go, but it was cool that it was such a big part of the movie

. It did NOT seem like almost 2 1/2 hours though. I didn't see the second extra scene. What did I miss?

The 6 Avengers sitting around in the Schwarma shop, eating, saying nothing, while someone sweeps up debris behind them. You can find images and maybe a youtube version if it hasn't been pulled down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulrCWIzDNqo

Yeah I quite liked the Avengers. I hadn't really been planning on seeing it but it just ended up happening, but it was solid. RDJ was pretty funny as Iron Man.

Also, the bit where Hulk punched Thor after they finished kicking ass was hilarious.

http://www.reelz.com/movie-news/13805/the-...n-the-avengers/

Explanation of the "shawarma" scene.

Wonder how much of a kick in sales they'll get from the prominent mention? Wonder what executives with the studio or which of the actors have an investment in the company?

They're super popular in the Philippines, many people start the stands in local neighborhoods as a secondary income source for their family.

http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/bo_num...mate/2012-05-05

Avengers will set new all-time opening weekend record, close to $180 million give or take (already around $300 million and climbing overseas)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 6, 2012 -> 12:25 AM)
Saw it today in IMAX 3D. Came in with high expectations and it blew them out of the water. Awesome, awesome movie. And it was actually pretty hilarious.

I laughed more during the Avengers than I do during most comedies. Absolutely terrific movie.

Some of my favorite lines:

Cap giving orders: Hulk...smash.

Nick Fury:It's a stupid ass decision.

Stark: He'll go somewhere and write his name in the sky...son of a b****.

Loki: I will NOT be defeated by a giant lumbering *SMASH*

Stark: Ok, we're done with all these reindeer games.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 6, 2012 -> 03:20 AM)

Some of my favorite lines:

Cap giving orders: Hulk...smash.

Nick Fury:It's a stupid ass decision.

Stark: He'll go somewhere and write his name in the sky...son of a b****.

Loki: I will NOT be defeated by a giant lumbering *SMASH*

Stark: Ok, we're done with all these reindeer games.

"His first name is agent".

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2012 -> 05:51 AM)
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/avengers-scor...-154806723.html (#2 Opening Day to Harry Potter:DH, #1 overall Opening Weekend)

And the line about a certain favorite poet/bard in residence at Stratford-on-Avon (in reference to Thor)

Think Kenneth Branagh as director!

$200.3 million through yesterday, blows away the $170 million of HP7-2. Projecting the biggest Sunday haul ever today also (hoping for $50 million, previous best Sunday was $43 for Dark Knight).

f***ing awesome. Loved every bit of it.

The fight scenes between all of the characters, Loki(Hiddleston really plays that part magnificently), Hulk smashing,

f***ING THANOS

, the humor, the tie-ins. Joss Whedon really nailed it.