Surkamp on trading block, roster moves coming

caulfield12

Related to adding spots for Kottaras/Soto, Brad Penny, Micah Johnson and Matt Albers.

One is going to be Nate Jones transferring to the 60-day DL.

So, along with trading Surkamp, they'll need to make at least two more roster moves...theoretically.

What are those moves going to be?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 10:36 AM)
Related to adding spots for Kottaras/Soto, Brad Penny, Micah Johnson and Matt Albers.

One is going to be Nate Jones transferring to the 60-day DL.

So, along with trading Surkamp, they'll need to make at least two more roster moves...theoretically.

What are those moves going to be?

We have too many random relievers on the 40 man, so I would expect Maikel "No Control" Cleto and possibly Onelki Garcia (too many Garcia's on the roster) to be candidates along with possibly Raul Fernandez.

Of the hitters, possibly Beckham, Kevan Smith, Leury Garcia, Tyler Saladino or Andy Wilkins.

If I ws to bet my house on it, I would say Cleto, Garcia and Saladino.

Cleto due to his control issues, Garcia due to the number of relievers we have on the 40 man and Saladino due to the number of middle infielders that we have. Smith may be sacrificed due to the number of catchers that we have (but I think they want to keep him on the 25 man (he could be a trade candidate)

Anyone not making the 25 man or seen as a hot prospect is fair game as far as I'm concerned.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 08:31 AM)
Call me crazy, but I'd rather have Surkamp at what he's making than Zach Duke with his contract. I still don't understand that contract.

Not too excited about Zach Duke, either. A career NL pitcher who was almost run out of the league? Sounds like a multi-year deal. :angry:

Saladino's not going anywhere.

They really envision him as a key piece going forward...whether as starter, platoon bat or Joe McEwing/Oquendo "jack of all trades" type.

Leury Garcia is more likely to be on the way out. He doesn't have a role anymore.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (glangon @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 06:52 AM)
We have too many random relievers on the 40 man, so I would expect Maikel "No Control" Cleto and possibly Onelki Garcia (too many Garcia's on the roster) to be candidates along with possibly Raul Fernandez.

Of the hitters, possibly Beckham, Kevan Smith, Leury Garcia, Tyler Saladino or Andy Wilkins.

Cleto due to his control issues, Garcia due to the number of relievers we have on the 40 man and Saladino due to the number of middle infielders that we have. Smith may be sacrificed due to the number of catchers that we have (but I think they want to keep him on the 25 man (he could be a trade candidate)

Anyone not making the 25 man or seen as a hot prospect is fair game as far as I'm concerned.

If they have to add 4 guys, my guess would be that it's Jones to 60 day DL, Surkamp traded. I would imagine that Cleto will be one of the subtractions as well. If Albers does indeed make the team, I would assume that Guerra wouldn't then. He's out of options, correct? He would need to be DFA creating the other spot.

QUOTE (glangon @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 06:52 AM)

I disagree about Saladino and Smith. I think Smith and Brantly will be the catchers at Charlotte. Saladino will be the starting SS at Charlotte with Leury as the Utility guy down there.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 09:00 AM)
If they have to add 4 guys, my guess would be that it's Jones to 60 day DL, Surkamp traded. I would imagine that Cleto will be one of the subtractions as well. If Albers does indeed make the team, I would assume that Guerra wouldn't then. He's out of options, correct? He would need to be DFA creating the other spot.

Stone said on the broadcast Saturday that Cooper "loved" Guerra. It would be shocking to see him let go for nothing.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 08:00 AM)

Robertson

Duke

Petricka

Putnam

Guerra

Albers

Dan Jennings

LONG MAN? (Carroll/Penny)

Webb, Cleto, Sanburn to the minors....Crain starts the year on the DL as well?

Between Putnam, Guerra and Albers, one is probably superfluous since all RH set-up guys.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 09:02 AM)
I disagree about Saladino and Smith. I think Smith and Brantly will be the catchers at Charlotte. Saladino will be the starting SS at Charlotte with Leury as the Utility guy down there.

Didn't Nieto get sent to Charlotte? I do agree, I think Brantly goes to AAA with the loser of the Kottaras/Soto competion with another organization or with Jake from State Farm.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)
Stone said on the broadcast Saturday that Cooper "loved" Guerra. It would be shocking to see him let go for nothing.

That's fine but Guerra and Albers won't both make the team. Unless they send Webb down. They can only keep so many relievers.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)
That's fine but Guerra and Albers won't both make the team. Unless they send Webb down. They can only keep so many relievers.

I think Webb is going to Charlotte. I think he'll be back when he shows he can go a couple of outings without walking people and throwing wild pitches.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 09:10 AM)
I think Webb is going to Charlotte. I think he'll be back when he shows he can go a couple of outings without walking people and throwing wild pitches.

Maybe they'll make him the closer at Charlotte? He has closer upside. Maybe he can dow ell down there and they can use him in a deal for someone. He's not going to close for the White Sox any time soon.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 09:31 AM)
I don't really see us busting our ass to make room for Matt Albers. Brantly and Cleto are obvious candidates to get chopped if they aren't making the team, which it seems they won't.

Brantly has options left though.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 08:31 AM)
Call me crazy, but I'd rather have Surkamp at what he's making than Zach Duke with his contract. I still don't understand that contract.

Surkamp's all right, I think I like him more than most. He can do some things. And he's really no more of a question mark than Dan Jennings. I'd be hesitant to move him before some other guys on the 40.

As for Duke, I'm not too interested in going down that rabbit hole with you, but here's my attempt to explain. You often cite his poor second half - I'm assuming as a reason not to believe in the effects of the well-documented changes he made to his throwing mechanics - but I'd encourage you to take a closer look at the peripherals, because a poor ERA does not mean he pitched poorly. He still only allowed a .655 OPS after the break, for example. Out of the 477 guys who pitched at least 20 innings - I picked that cutoff because that's Duke's second half - that would be 167th. I think you'd agree that doesn't mesh with a 4.79 ERA, which would be 381st. Other than his walk rate, nothing changed in the second half, and when you combine it with an elite first half you still get a pitcher worth $5 million. He's a lefty who dominantly handled both sides of the plate, struck guys out, and got ground balls. That is literally everything you want out of a reliever. The drawback is that he hasn't developed a long track record of success. It's a slight gamble but it's not some mystifying deal. You can argue with the validity of trusting in one season but these are the reasons they signed him.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 09:41 AM)
Surkamp's all right, I think I like him more than most. He can do some things. And he's really no more of a question mark than Dan Jennings. I'd be hesitant to move him before some other guys on the 40.

As for Duke, I'm not too interested in going down that rabbit hole with you, but here's my attempt to explain. You often cite his poor second half - I'm assuming as a reason not to believe in the effects of the well-documented changes he made to his throwing mechanics - but I'd encourage you to take a closer look at the peripherals, because a poor ERA does not mean he pitched poorly. He still only allowed a .655 OPS after the break, for example. Out of the 477 guys who pitched at least 20 innings - I picked that cutoff because that's Duke's second half - that would be 167th. I think you'd agree that doesn't mesh with a 4.79 ERA, which would be 381st. Other than his walk rate, nothing changed in the second half, and when you combine it with an elite first half you still get a pitcher worth $5 million. He's a lefty who dominantly handled both sides of the plate, struck guys out, and got ground balls. That is literally everything you want out of a reliever. The drawback is that he hasn't developed a long track record of success. It's a slight gamble but it's not some mystifying deal. You can argue with the validity of trusting in one season but these are the reasons they signed him.

The guy tripled his k-rate. I don't put much in spring training stats, especially pitchers who have no chance of not making the team, but his next strikeout will be his first. I think there is little chance he ever has stats that match his 2014, which is the basis of what they are paying him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)
The guy tripled his k-rate. I don't put much in spring training stats, especially pitchers who have no chance of not making the team, but his next strikeout will be his first. I think there is little chance he ever has stats that match his 2014, which is the basis of what they are paying him.

Because of a mechanical change. Guys don't triple their K-rates at age 31 for literally no reason. If you've already read this column and are still pushing this argument, then I've got nothing.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 09:58 AM)
Because of a mechanical change. Guys don't triple their K-rates at age 31 for literally no reason. If you've already read this column and are still pushing this argument, then I've got nothing.

I don't think it is that simple or sustainable. If it was, he would have struck someone out this spring I would think. You are paying him for 2015, 2016, and 2017, not 2014. I think Hahn got ahead of himself on this one.

I think the most obvious names for removal from the 40 man roster are.... (in order)

Nate Jones going to the 60 day DL

Surkamp getting traded

Cleto getting waived/released

Brantley getting waived/released

Andy Wilkins (he has literally no place to play in Chicago between Abreu and LaRoche) getting waived or traded

First, Cleto might get claimed but honestly the guy can't maintain control for more than a couple appearances anyway. So put him through waivers.

Then there's Brantly who has options left, so I think he can come off without waivers. Kottaras probably has an out. One of the two will be out of the org.

Then there's Leury Garcia, who I think they'll trade or release soon.

I think they want to keep both Smith and Nieto around, and I bet Nieto goes to AA, though technically right now he's in AAA.

Jones to 60-day opens a slot too.

Finally, I think Surkamp likely gets next to nothing in trade, but that's OK. I don't see him as being a particularly good lefty reliever anyway, and as a starter he'd be behind a good 4 or 5 guys in Charlotte.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 10:07 AM)
I think the most obvious names for removal from the 40 man roster are.... (in order)

Nate Jones going to the 60 day DL

Surkamp getting traded

Cleto getting waived/released

Brantley getting waived/released

Andy Wilkins (he has literally no place to play in Chicago between Abreu and LaRoche) getting waived or traded

I'd doubt they get rid of Wilkins. He's actually exactly a guy you want, specifically because of Abreu and LaRoche. You need a slugging 1B type available for call-up as needed, but since they don't have a serious prospect there, you need a Wilkins type for insurance. If you lose Wilkins, then Dan Black becomes that insurance and that makes me far more nervous than Wilkins. I think Wilkins stays.