Rockies Trade Dickerson to Rays

Sockin

Ken Rosenthal

‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Sources: #Rays on verge of trade with #Rockies.

EDIT: For Dickerson

@KenRosenthal: Sources: #Rays getting Dickerson. Expected to send multiple pitchers to #Rockies. Others possibly involved.

Edited by Sockin

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 08:37 PM)
If it involves Dickerson then you can pretty much call off the potential Soler to Rays trade that fathom posted about, meaning Fowler to the Cubs would look far less likely.

EDIT: There it is.

Yep, only other possibility could be Soler possibly to Indians, but that doesn't seem nearly as likely

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 09:42 PM)
As things continue to happen around the league it gets more and more likely Garcia is the Whitesox starting RF for next year.

This move makes it way more likely the Sox get Fowler, IMO. No doubt in my mind he ends up with either the Cubs, Sox or Angels.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
This move makes it way more likely the Sox get Fowler, IMO. No doubt in my mind he ends up with either the Cubs, Sox or Angels.

That's my thinking. It would seem his going to the Cubs is not likely now.

So I don't get it. You trade a quality young outfielder for a good reliever. Makes no sense to me. Is a highly thought of prospect also part of this trade with the Rockies? If not, I'm extremely dissapointed the Sox weren't interested in Dickerson. He is young, cost controlled, and when healthy has been a much much better ballplayer than Avi Garcia.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
So much for Dickerson to the Sox. Unless the Rox plan on flipping McGee for more, I don't understand this move at all for them.

Alot of people are saying Mcgee will probably be trade bait down the line

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 10:06 PM)
So I don't get it. You trade a quality young outfielder for a good reliever. Makes no sense to me. Is a highly thought of prospect also part of this trade with the Rockies? If not, I'm extremely dissapointed the Sox weren't interested in Dickerson. He is young, cost controlled, and when healthy has been a much much better ballplayer than Avi Garcia.

Who do the Sox have to trade that's as valuable as McGee? No one that is easily replaceable.

Okay...so you give Parra that money. Dickerson is a better player than Parra and you could have found another reliever for a lot less. This juts totally baffles me (unless they are getting a pretty darn good prospect as well). Over past 2 years, Parra has put up a collective WAR of

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
Who do the Sox have to trade that's as valuable as McGee? No one that is easily replaceable.

He's a 28 year old reliever, who is not a proven closer (and yes, that matters). Yes, he's been good (he's also had some down years too) but it isn't like he's under team control for cheap for 5 years either (he's already in his arb years and is a FA in 2018). So in isolation, Rockies paid Parra roughly 10M/yr (who is worse than Dickerson) and than got a reliever. I'd have argued if they wanted the reliever, they'd have been able to spend Parra's money on something more valuable than McGee (while keeping the better player in Dickerson).

I see no logic in where that combination of moves was a good use of Rockies resources. None. Unless they know something none of us do about Dickerson's injury history.