Tyler Danish

Heads22

I'd be surprised if Danish started more than five games Winston before being called up to Birmingham. I'm very tempted to say he starts the year at Birmingham but I'm guessing the Sox may want to see how Tyler starts the year at Winston first.

Then again, the Sox are aggressive when it comes to young pitching talent...

He was pretty dominant in A+ last year after the first couple starts. I'm not opposed to him starting in AA, but he's likely there soon even if not on Opening Day. As for AAA... not before late in the season if at all, and then only if he dominates AA like he has the other levels.

No matter the level, I want him to build up more innings over last year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 08:16 AM)
He was pretty dominant in A+ last year after the first couple starts. I'm not opposed to him starting in AA, but he's likely there soon even if not on Opening Day. As for AAA... not before late in the season if at all, and then only if he dominates AA like he has the other levels.

This is exactly what I was going to say. The kid threw just under 130 innings last year, and is still really young. There is no reason to rush him. Get him up to 160 this year, and see what happens next year.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 08:29 AM)
I wouldn't be surprised if Danish and Montas are both in the Birmingham rotation in AA. Tim Anderson and Courtney Hawkins will most likely both be there as well.

Montas has even more room to go than Danish does. Because of the injury he only hit 81IP this season, plus whatever he gets in Fall Ball. 2013 was only 111.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 08:16 AM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
This is exactly what I was going to say. The kid threw just under 130 innings last year, and is still really young. There is no reason to rush him. Get him up to 160 this year, and see what happens next year.

Well said gents, could not agree more.

One thing I find fun about watching Montas and Danish mature together is they are really different pitchers with very different offerings and yet they are almost side by side (Montas slightly ahead) moving up through the system. One can throw it by the batter while the other makes the batter beat the ball into the ground over and over again.

A quick thought. Anderson will likely start at AA next season so once Danish gets to AA, Anderson is going to get all kinds of work on his fielding when Danish pitches. Danish is a ground ball god.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 07:29 AM)
I wouldn't be surprised if Danish and Montas are both in the Birmingham rotation in AA. Tim Anderson and Courtney Hawkins will most likely both be there as well.

I believe that CH is the only ? in the group for starting in B'ham. He's the toughest call, imo.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
I believe that CH is the only ? in the group for starting in B'ham. He's the toughest call, imo.

Buddy Bell already said Hawkins will be in Birmingham to start the season. The real question is how many seasons will he be there.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 01:17 PM)
Buddy Bell already said Hawkins will be in Birmingham to start the season. The real question is how many seasons will he be there.

Thanks, had not read. Typical Sox aggressiveness I guess. He may be overmatched like 2013 at WS. Hope not.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)

:lol:

And how many Sox fans will write him off if he struggles?

IMO, its too aggressive. Given his .249 average and 143K's in 515 PA in A+, that's really where he should start 2015.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)
:lol:

And how many Sox fans will write him off if he struggles?

IMO, its too aggressive. Given his .249 average and 143K's in 515 PA in A+, that's really where he should start 2015.

It's a tough call. He did improve, a lot, repeating A+. And was still young for the level. I wouldn't be as opposed to him in AA next year as I was to him starting 2013 in A+... but starting in A+ before AA next year would probably be a good idea.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 03:45 PM)
It's a tough call. He did improve, a lot, repeating A+. And was still young for the level. I wouldn't be as opposed to him in AA next year as I was to him starting 2013 in A+... but starting in A+ before AA next year would probably be a good idea.

Yeah, I think psychologically speaking if Hawkins starts 2015 at A+ then he's just picking up where he left off but if he starts at AA and struggles, it could have an adverse psychological effect.

I know its a different player but look what a demotion did to Walker last year after batting .155 at AA. Started whining about how nobody had his back and blah blah blah. Walker showed he was a soft little marshmalloww. I think Hawkins is mentally tougher than that but would rather not take the chance since there's no rush.

Plus,IMO, it might be easier on him if he's promoted during the season after hes in the groove. Not sure there's anything to that, just a thought.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 04:17 PM)
Yeah, I think psychologically speaking if Hawkins starts 2015 at A+ then he's just picking up where he left off but if he starts at AA and struggles, it could have an adverse psychological effect.

I know its a different player but look what a demotion did to Walker last year after batting .155 at AA. Started whining about how nobody had his back and blah blah blah. Walker showed he was a soft little marshmalloww. I think Hawkins is mentally tougher than that but would rather not take the chance since there's no rush.

Plus,IMO, it might be easier on him if he's promoted during the season after hes in the groove. Not sure there's anything to that, just a thought.

As to being told to do something for the 3rd time in a row? I think you almost need to start him at AA if the spot is there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
As to being told to do something for the 3rd time in a row? I think you almost need to start him at AA if the spot is there.

Well let's think about that - outfield candidates for AA other than Hawkins...

Jared Mitchell, Trayce Thompson and Josh Richmond should be the AAA OF, almost assuredly, so I don't think they're in the BHAM picture. Jordan Danks could be there if he's still in the org, or could be MLB, hard to tell. But he won't be in AA either. So that leaves...

>>Jason Coats: He's in AA for sure I'd think. Did very well in A+, was promoted to AA late in the season. So that's one that's solid.

>>Jacob May: Legit prospect, though he wasn't that good in A+ last year. But he did do much better in the 2nd half - I'd put him as 70/30 likely to go to AA.

>>Keenyn Walker: I can't see him leaving A+ until he gets it right, which he hasn't yet.

>>Michael Earley: Org guy with very good defense but the stick didn't play in AA, he could return there in 2015.

>>Adam Heisler: Played only 40 or so games due to PED suspension and he's a non-prospect, same category as Earley - could be there, could be a bench guy there.

>>Christian Marrero was brought in as a ringer, can play 1B and OF, but I guarantee he won't be in anyone's way. He's also MiLB FA eligible, and likely gone anyway.

So I'm gonna say your BHAM OF will be Coats and May, and then who knows. But none of those possible 3rd/4th OF's will be in Hawkins way - which makes me think he's there.

Coats/May/Hawkins going left to right, Earley or Heisler as the 4th OF, that's my guess. Marrero gone, Walker in A+, and the other of Earley/Heisler might be in AA as a DH or could be back in A+ again.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)

Does a 20 year old batting .249 with 143 strikeouts at A+ scream promotion to you?

I'm not saying Hawkins is bad but a little more time at A+ to work on those K's and BA certainly won't hurt.

He's plenty young enough, there's no rush.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 06:22 PM)
Does a 20 year old batting .249 with 143 strikeouts at A+ scream promotion to you?

I'm not saying Hawkins is bad but a little more time at A+ to work on those K's and BA certainly won't hurt.

He's plenty young enough, there's no rush.

2 years at one level isn't rushing him.