Eaton tears ACL, Out for Year

Heads22

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2017 -> 07:05 PM)
Dang, that really sucks for the guy. Hopefully he heals up well.

Ditto. He had his issues, but he always ran stuff out. I really don't like how it happened while he was hustling. I wanted success for him.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)
Also has a torn meniscus and high ankle sprain. 6-9 month recovery after surgery, which hasn't been scheduled yet.

Very sad. Shouldn't all teams meet soon and discuss what they tell players all the time? Do not slide into first base. Do not lunge into first base. Run through the base is all you need to do. Doing it incorrectly may have cost a ballplayer his career here.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 10:17 AM)
Also has a torn meniscus and high ankle sprain. 6-9 month recovery after surgery, which hasn't been scheduled yet.

I tore my ACL and meniscus and was playing sports with a brace at six months, fully recovered at nine.

The ACL/meniscus combo is really s***ty though, as it doesn't let you be aggressive at all to begin rehab.

That is a whole of stability in the guys knee that is getting repaired. I really hope for Eaton's sake he can get past the mental aspects of this.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 02:12 PM)
I tore my ACL and meniscus and was playing sports with a brace at six months, fully recovered at nine.

The ACL/meniscus combo is really s***ty though, as it doesn't let you be aggressive at all to begin rehab.

I've been dealing with a knee injury for a few months. Whenever I sit, stand still, or lay down too long (even sleeping), my knee and thigh hurt. I think I hyper-extended it. When I walk, occasionally, there is a pop in my knee. My buddy has had a torn ACL in his life and thinks that it could be that. What do you think? Also really want to know since I'm playing in a baseball league this summer and I catch (yeah, it's awful for the week leading up to the next game).

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 1, 2017 -> 10:15 AM)
I've been dealing with a knee injury for a few months. Whenever I sit, stand still, or lay down too long (even sleeping), my knee and thigh hurt. I think I hyper-extended it. When I walk, occasionally, there is a pop in my knee. My buddy has had a torn ACL in his life and thinks that it could be that. What do you think? Also really want to know since I'm playing in a baseball league this summer and I catch (yeah, it's awful for the week leading up to the next game).

I hyperextended my knee in highschool and had the popping until I actually tore my ACL. It didn't cause me any pain though.

I'm also a bad example because I played sports for eight months after tearing my ACL/meniscus. We're not quite sure how. I then also had an absurdly fast recovery.

They will wait until the edema goes down and he regains nearly full ROM.

It will depend on where the meniscal tear was if they decide to repair it or resect it.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 1, 2017 -> 04:15 PM)

You are gonna have to get it checked out. Go to your regular doctor first, then he'll probably send you to an ortho. Or I guess you could call the ortho first and see if they recommend just coming straight to them. Obviously you'll have to get it checked out if it hurts.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 1, 2017 -> 10:15 AM)

You would know if you tore your ACL. It immediately swells up and you can't move your knee. Is it by your kneecap? Sounds more like a patella-femoral pain syndrome?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 1, 2017 -> 03:39 PM)
I hyperextended my knee in highschool and had the popping until I actually tore my ACL. It didn't cause me any pain though.

I'm also a bad example because I played sports for eight months after tearing my ACL/meniscus. We're not quite sure how. I then also had an absurdly fast recovery.

Not that uncommon. There are athletes who get into the NFL with ACL tears they didn't know about.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 02:12 PM)

Not really advisable. The graft only fully regenerates at 3. 6 months is really pushing it. It's usually closer to 9.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 1, 2017 -> 04:58 PM)
Not really advisable. The graft only fully regenerates at 3. 6 months is really pushing it. It's usually closer to 9.

It was super light, like jogging and some mild drills with the brace. Seven I was allowed to around eight I was allowed to go back to practice full with few restrictions, nine I was cleared.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 1, 2017 -> 05:01 PM)
It was super light, like jogging and some mild drills with the brace. Seven I was allowed to around eight I was allowed to go back to practice full with few restrictions, nine I was cleared.

sorry. I thought you meant you returned to sports at 6. Sports activity at 6 and return to sport at 9 is about right.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 01:28 PM)
Very sad. Shouldn't all teams meet soon and discuss what they tell players all the time? Do not slide into first base. Do not lunge into first base. Run through the base is all you need to do. Doing it incorrectly may have cost a ballplayer his career here.

He didn't really do anything wrong. It just looks like his foot slipped off the base a little when he stepped on it.

Link