7/23 Games

flavum

I hope that didn't sound like sour grapes. I love the trades and also believe in our future. It's just that it struck me as though it seemed surprising to some how good Moncada and Jimenez might become. To the contrary, I think that the front office is counting on that.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 23, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)
I hope that didn't sound like sour grapes. I love the trades and also believe in our future. It's just that it struck me as though it seemed surprising to some how good Moncada and Jimenez might become. To the contrary, I think that the front office is counting on that.

The rebuild counts on some of these guys becoming what they are projected to be, we get it

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 23, 2017 -> 03:37 PM)
They better be. They cost the Sox one Super Star pitcher and another, pretty close to that.

FWIW, I don't think they have to be superstars for the Sox to get what they needed out of those trades. Sox want not just good play (which is what the players they lost will give any team) but they need it at a particular time and a particular price. If the Sox weren't going to be good until 2019, then you'd be starting to get good right as your superstars are about to depart in free agency. With how things are shaping up now, Sox may have the players they got back hitting their stride and under control for many years at that point. Likewise, by 2019 or 2020 we could plausibly sign Sale or Quintana if that's what we needed to put us over the top.

And of course there's the other players to consider as well. While I think having ten 1 WAR is not the equivalent of having one 10 WAR player, there's something to be said for having a glut of average to above average players rather than a couple of really good ones.

Edited by Jake