MLB Pipeline Midseason Rankings

iamshack

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 08:53 PM)
So it's just pretty much out there now Kopech is the best pitching prospect in the game at this point?

I didn't even catch that...I suppose from Callis/Mayo's perspective, yes.

Really hoping that for all our faults in regards to developing positional prospects, that we can maximize our pitching development juju with Kopech.

Probably one of 2-3 guys in professional ball that might be able to help us forget Chris.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 09:06 PM)
What did burger do to justify going from a 55 to 50 overall grade since getting drafted? .980 OPS not good enough?

The rest of the grades I agree with, is have burger above Fulmer though.

Yeah, I didn't realize that. All indications are though that he is on the fast track. I think he beats that 2020 ETA they have on him and gets up here in 2019.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 11:19 PM)
I have a feeling Hansen and Collins just missed the Top 100

To make the top 100 you must be a 55 overall grade or better prospect. They clearly see Hansen and Collins outside the top 100, but I'd say either could very well be back in the top 100 next season.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 11:31 PM)
To make the top 100 you must be a 55 overall grade or better prospect. They clearly see Hansen and Collins outside the top 100, but I'd say either could very well be back in the top 100 next season.

Typically the last 25 or so top100 prospects are 50 future value prospects.

Here is a former list of longenhagen with grades

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2017-top-100-prospects/

Edited by GermanSock

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 11:06 PM)
What did burger do to justify going from a 55 to 50 overall grade since getting drafted? .980 OPS not good enough?

The rest of the grades I agree with, is have burger above Fulmer though.

MLB.com always do that. IIRC I think Robert was either a 65 or 60 FV prospect on the international list. Right after he signs with Sox and placed in the Org top 30, he was bumped down to 55 FV. Kevin Maitan or ATL also had the same treatment. It's like they want to hype of these prospects in the International 100 or Draft 200 list, but then bump them down when they are measured with minor league prospects who already have some seasoning.

8 in the top 70 is great, but would be nice to see a White Sox drafted & developed guy make the list. I still think Hansen will be on most of these lists by the end of the season though. Maybe Burger can crack the bottom 10 if he gets promoted to Winston-Salem before the end of the season and continues to do well. Right or wrong, I think Collins' poor batting average will keep him off all the main year-end lists.

I know TINSTAAPP, but we have so much pitching right now and a propensity for developing it!

I really think we're betting a ton on Kopech, but wow, I think we are going to have a lot of midrange options in a few years.

Factor in a payroll low enough to sign an additional #2 if we really have to...I can't wait to watch these kids.

my take away was this

The Atlanta Braves and Chicago White Sox lead all organizations, each with 527 Prospect Points. The Braves have nine Top 100 players, more than any other team, while the White Sox have eight. The Rays (296) come in behind the leaders, with seven prospects in the Top 100. The Padres (276), Astros (268) and Dodgers (268) round out the top six. The Padres are also next with six representatives in the Top 100, tied with the Dodgers, Phillies and Yankees. The Astros, Reds and Brewers have five prospects each. There are three teams (the Royals, Angels and Marlins) who don't have a prospect in the Top 100.
link

not that it matters per se but it'll be an interesting debate through the next three years as too how the Sox, Braves etc stack up as "best farm". I still find it funny that Hansen who was once a consideration for #1 overall isn't getting any love by pipeline esp when you consider how he has performed compared to the rest of the top arms from the '16 draft class, It'll come in time but whatever. As for Collins I understand why he isn't on the top 100, I highly doubt he starts the year at A+ and maybe next year the challenge faced at AA will force him to change his approach as pitchers there don't nibble as much as A+ and he won't be able to parlay his discipline with out focusing on contact in deeper counts.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:28 AM)
my take away was this

link

not that it matters per se but it'll be an interesting debate through the next three years as too how the Sox, Braves etc stack up as "best farm". I still find it funny that Hansen who was once a consideration for #1 overall isn't getting any love by pipeline esp when you consider how he has performed compared to the rest of the top arms from the '16 draft class, It'll come in time but whatever. As for Collins I understand why he isn't on the top 100, I highly doubt he starts the year at A+ and maybe next year the challenge faced at AA will force him to change his approach as pitchers there don't nibble as much as A+ and he won't be able to parlay his discipline with out focusing on contact in deeper counts.

They have raised their grade on Hansen from a "45" FV to a "50" FV, which I feel is fair at this point. A college arm with his stuff should dominate low A ball hitters, but he needs to prove it against significantly better competition at A+ and AA ball before you will see him on top 100 lists regularly. The potential is certainly there.

I can point out at least 5 or 6 statements in the scouting reports from that T30 list that are just factually incorrect. Stale data in most cases. The T100 list is interesting, but I find the MLB Pipeline top thirty Sox lists to be lacking in research, and I don't put much stock in them.

Does any of this discussion change anyone's expectations for the 2020 starting rotation and bullpen?

What is your best guess for the pitching staff, based upon the current talent in the organization?

My guess would be Rodon (unless he's traded), Kopeck, Lopez, Hansen and Cease. I don't know what to think of Giolito. Do you guys think that he'll make it?

Fulmer, Burdi and the rest of the top guys would battle for bullpen spots.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 10:52 AM)
Does any of this discussion change anyone's expectations for the 2020 starting rotation and bullpen?

What is your best guess for the pitching staff, based upon the current talent in the organization?

My guess would be Rodon (unless he's traded), Kopeck, Lopez, Hansen and Cease. I don't know what to think of Giolito. Do you guys think that he'll make it?

Giolito will be fine and I think will be a mid rotation starter.

I think players like Adams, Guerrero and Dunning are more likely to stick as starters than Hansen or Cease.

Giolito is the sort of player that has the ability, but really just needs everything to click at some point. I would not give up on him becoming a solid starter yet, but we need to see progress at some point.

Not really I see the '19-'20 rotation like this

Kopech

Rodon

Giolito

Guerrero

Hansen

Burdi

Lopez

Fulmer

I think Giolito makes it even if its less than was initially anticipated.

Jim Callis‏ Verified account

@jimcallisMLB

More Jim Callis Retweeted game of crones

Hansen is near #Top100Prospects, could easily make case based on stuff, still some concerns w/command & delivery. @WhiteSox

link

Edited by beautox

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
Not really I see the '19-'20 rotation like this

Kopech

Rodon

Giolito

Guerrero

Hansen

Burdi

Lopez

Fulmer

I think Giolito makes it even if its less than was initially anticipated.

I think Lopez will absolutely get the chance to remain a starter, he seems to have turned the corner as of late.

MLB.com's rankings seems very lazy to me. How do many players increase or drop in scouting reports since the draft for no apparent reason?

How is Jeren Kendall a top 100 prospect and FV "55" after being rated a "50" in the draft? 4 good games in rookie ball? Makes little sense given his high strikeout rate.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)
I think Lopez will absolutely get the chance to remain a starter, he seems to have turned the corner as of late.

MLB.com's rankings seems very lazy to me. How do many players increase or drop in scouting reports since the draft for no apparent reason?

How is Jeren Kendall a top 100 prospect and FV "55" after being rated a "50" in the draft? 4 good games in rookie ball? Makes little sense given his high strikeout rate.

dodger hype ;)