Will Eloy Jimenez get to AA this year?

KnightsOnMintSt

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
I hope that we see him in Birmingham, even if its just for a month or so. He has absolutely crushed the ball since joining Winston-Salem. Would love to see what he can do against AA pitching.

Maybe, but there's not really much need to rush him. Either way he should start the 2018 season in AA.

His mlb ETA should be some point during the 2019 season if all goes well.

If Jimenez gets called up, who moves up from Kannapolis to replace him? I would guess Call given he started the year there, but wouldn't be surprised if it was Rutherford.

Also wonder if Dedelow would get the bump to full season ball or if they would use the opportunity to give Schnurbusch some more playing time.

Wait a second, you actually think Jimenez is ready because he's done well in High A?

He's massacring the same high A pitching that has confounded other legit hitting prospects. Easy power to all fields with a K-rate that would be outstanding for a player of his profile 3 years older at that level.

I say he gets up to AA this year, crushes his way to AAA to start next season then grabs an OF spot for (what I think will be) surprisingly competitive 2018 MLB squad. The Cubs thought his bat was MLB ready this spring.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 06:12 PM)
Wait a second, you actually think Jimenez is ready because he's done well in High A?

His overall game is definitely not ready, but personally, I think he'd hold his own and not completely embarrass himself at the MLB level, 70 wRC+ or something along those lines.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 10:09 PM)
Forget about him until AT LEAST 2019.

No way.

If he gets sent for a cup of coffee in AA this year (which I think he will) and then to the AFL and performs, he'll begin next year in Birmingham. If he is cruising along in June/July there is no reason he can't be called straight up from AA.

True, it doesn't happen as often with hitters, but it does sometimes happen. I'm not saying it's the more likely outcome, but it is not at all unreasonable to think he's in Chicago mid-year next year or as a September call-up

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 09:09 PM)
Forget about him until AT LEAST 2019.

I agree with this^

Jimenez mlb ETA is some point in 2019. He's a 20 year old kid and has only played 54 games at A+ level. He arguably should stay in A+ for the rest of this season and just start fresh in AA in 2018.

Why call him up anytime before that? Let the kid develop.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 08:18 AM)
No way.

If he gets sent for a cup of coffee in AA this year (which I think he will) and then to the AFL and performs, he'll begin next year in Birmingham. If he is cruising along in June/July there is no reason he can't be called straight up from AA.

True, it doesn't happen as often with hitters, but it does sometimes happen. I'm not saying it's the more likely outcome, but it is not at all unreasonable to think he's in Chicago mid-year next year or as a September call-up

If he gets to Birmingham in a few weeks, he would definitely be on track for (at least) a cup of coffee in the bigs a year from now, and I would say it is the most likely outcome. It would actually be a disappointment if he didn't, because it would mean something went wrong or he got hurt.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 08:40 AM)
If he gets to Birmingham in a few weeks, he would definitely be on track for (at least) a cup of coffee in the bigs a year from now, and I would say it is the most likely outcome. It would actually be a disappointment if he didn't, because it would mean something went wrong or he got hurt.

I don't really agree with any of this.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)
Not if it is in September, I believe

That doesn't really matter. If they called him up in September and he opened the following season on the MLB team, we would still have him for 6 years. It would still count towards his service time. They could send him down to the minors to open the year, but in order to gain the extra season of control, it would take longer (example: Moncada).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 08:56 AM)
Bringing him up sometime would start his clock would it not? IF we are not planning to compete til 2020 what is the point of bringing him up sometime next year?

When he gets called up next year we'll hear the same things we just heard with Moncada. "Sure he may not be ready all the way but he'll learn more at the big league level. Better to get him with our best coaches. Get him into the big league routine. Let's see what he can do".

I hope that he goes to AA this year, but I wouldn't be upset if he stays with the Dash for the remainder of 2017. Regardless, he will start 2018 in AA next year, and hopefully make the jump to Charlotte around June, or beginning of July. Then I think the hope is that he crushes the ball while in Charlotte, has a really good Spring Training in 2019 and makes the Opening Day roster with the White Sox. I would imagine that this is how it will go.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 08:42 AM)
I don't really agree with any of this.

A lot will change in a year's time. If Jimenez dominates AA to end this year and start next year, he'll get to AAA sometime next summer. I'll be surprised if he's not a Sept. call up next year.