Should Giolito pitch in Chicago this year?

KnightsOnMintSt

AAA season ends in September, while MLB plays through the beginning of October. Would you guys like to see Giolito in Chicago for a month, or should he start the offseason when the AAA season ends?

Giolito has mentioned himself that he had some confidence issues. The only red flag I could see with him getting called up his him getting hit around and that destroying his confidence. Ultimately, I would like to see him called up to work with Coop.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:20 AM)
Right now. Him and Lopez should be taking their lumps and looking to finish this season with some sustained success against ML competition.

I tend to agree with you. But I don't think it would be the worst if he could gain more confidence for a couple more starts and hopefully build on the success that he had in his most recent start.

Trade Gonzalez for whatever in next couple days, call up Lopez to replace him. Try to trade Holland or Pelfrey and if that fails, stick one in the pen or go with 6-man rotation in September (or sooner) when rosters expand and call up Giolito.

I know he wasn't in the question, but I wouldn't even bother with Fulmer this year.

Edited by soxfan2014

I don't know if it's true, but I like the idea of staying down there so they feel more free to work on pitches like his new cutter without worrying about the consequences of runs as much.

No matter how much we say the majors is low pressure for the sox right now, nobody wants to get shelled on tv in front of at least double the audience of Charlotte.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 09:23 AM)
I don't know if it's true, but I like the idea of staying down there so they feel more free to work on pitches like his new cutter without worrying about the consequences of runs as much.

No matter how much we say the majors is low pressure for the sox right now, nobody wants to get shelled on tv in front of at least double the audience of Charlotte.

My vote would be to keep Giolito in AAA for the time being. He needs to be consistent from start to start. Right now he flashes great potential and dominates one start, only to get shelled in his next outing.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
My vote would be to keep Giolito in AAA for the time being. He needs to be consistent from start to start. Right now he flashes great potential and dominates one start, only to get shelled in his next outing.

Yeah I kinda want to keep in AAA but I kinda want Coop to work with him for at least a month, whether that means having him work out of the bullpen for a month and start a few games or strictly pitch in relief.

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 09:33 AM)
We just have to remember, come September, the AAA season is over. So does it hurt to pitch him in Chicago? I would lean towards no as of right now.

The only downside of a september call-up would be additional service time. Meaning if they tried to save an additional year, he wouldnt be up until mid June next season.

I think service time is worried about too much so I'd just bring him up for a sept call-up to pitch out of the pen. Maybe make one start if we have a double header or something.

I'd call him up when the AAA season is over if just so he can work bullpen sessions with Coop. I really wouldn't even worry about getting him into games. And for service time, unless he lights the world on fire for the next month or in spring training, he was probably going to still have to prove himself in the minors next year, so not being able to call him up until June wouldn't be that bad.

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 09:19 AM)
AAA season ends in September, while MLB plays through the beginning of October. Would you guys like to see Giolito in Chicago for a month, or should he start the offseason when the AAA season ends?

Giolito has mentioned himself that he had some confidence issues. The only red flag I could see with him getting called up his him getting hit around and that destroying his confidence. Ultimately, I would like to see him called up to work with Coop.

Assuming he keeps on his upward trajectory I have no problem giving him a September call up. Getting him a month around Chicago coaches is A OK with me.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)
I'm hoping He is similar to Gavin Floyd and Coop can unlock him. I do want to see him in the majors this year

In my eyes he needs repetitions to lock in his mechanics, so I would much rather see him pitch the extra month versus being done September 1 (again assuming he doesn't fall apart in the next month)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 05:46 AM)
Why do posters want Lopez and Giolitto to pitch in Chicago in games they want them to lose?

They can pitch well and still lose for one. This is a bad team that will lose a ton of games the remainder the season but still get a few random wins. This is baseball. Two, work with Don Cooper. Three, gain a little more experience at the MLB level. It's not really as black and white as your comment suggests.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
Rookie pitchers sometimes struggle?

So we should be hoping they get called up and cheering for them to struggle so they won't kill the draft order? Lopez, maybe. Giolitto will be way beyond his career high in IP by the time the minor league season ends. And next year is wide open for development. Send him home.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 11:08 AM)
Typical SS2k5 response.

Doesn't add a thing to the discussion just a jab at a poster who has a legitimate point.

I wouldn't really call it legitimate, just more of the same. This isn't an either/or. I think even you know that. The coaching/experience are more important than the actual results of the games at this point. They are going to take their lumps, whether it is now or 2020.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 11:10 AM)
I wouldn't really call it legitimate, just more of the same. This isn't an either/or. I think even you know that. The coaching/experience are more important than the actual results of the games at this point. They are going to take their lumps, whether it is now or 2020.

Really? Most here want the Sox to lose every game they play.

As I stated, Giolitto will be way beyond his career high in IP by the end of the minor league season. It isn't like these guys have to get MLB time in September to prepare for next year. The team is going to be horrible behind them and a horrible bullpen to relieve them. It's a no win situation. I don't know why anyone would want to throw their prized possessions into a situation like that when it isn't necessary. They can do that next season, when the roster is wide open and winning games isn't expected. As we have seen in the past, September games don't exactly project future success or failure.

There are legitimate reasons not to call them up, although I think Gonzalez will get traded and Lopez will get the call shortly.

Edited by Dick Allen