Baseball Injury Information Thread

Soxfest

Gavin Floyd left Thursday's start against the Nationals with a possible elbow injury.

The Braves' trainer came out to check on Floyd after he threw his first pitch of the seventh inning. The righty was having his elbow looked at before walking off the field. Obviously, it's a bad sign given that Floyd was making his ninth start since returning from Tommy John surgery. He had spun six scoreless frames before exiting. We probably won't know much about his status until after the game.

Per Rotoworld

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 09:48 PM)
Hawk just its a broken elbow.

Ah.. did he get hit on it. It's usually either that or a fall on it. Thats an odd look for a fracture, right on the tip of the olecranon.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 10:05 PM)
Ah.. did he get hit on it. It's usually either that or a fall on it. Thats an odd look for a fracture, right on the tip of the olecranon.

Just heard that he fractured it throwing a pitch. That is one really strong reconstruction when the bone fails before the replaced ligament does.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
Just heard that he fractured it throwing a pitch. That is one really strong reconstruction when the bone fails before the replaced ligament does.

Interesting. Is it possible a reconstruction can be too strong, causing something like this?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
Interesting. Is it possible a reconstruction can be too strong, causing something like this?

No it wouldn't be the cause. It would be that he would have torn the ligament again with whatever he did. However, because the bone was for whatever reason weaker than the ligament the force went to the bone.

I have never seen or heard of anything like this. The only fractures from throwing I've heard of are humerus fractures where there is a tremendous amount of rotation torque.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
No it wouldn't be the cause. It would be that he would have torn the ligament again with whatever he did. However, because the bone was for whatever reason weaker than the ligament the force went to the bone.

I have never seen or heard of anything like this. The only fractures from throwing I've heard of are humerus fractures where there is a tremendous amount of rotation torque.

Gavin Floyd needs to drink some milk.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)

Dave Dravecky is the only thing that comes to mind.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 10:17 AM)
Dave Dravecky is the only thing that comes to mind.

He had a tumor in his humerus that needed to be frozen and removed. So his arm was weakened to begin with.

The other one that comes to mind is a pitcher for the Marlins and Angels, I think. Was it Joe Saunders or Tony Saunders. Something like that.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
He had a tumor in his humerus that needed to be frozen and removed. So his arm was weakened to begin with.

The other one that comes to mind is a pitcher for the Marlins and Angels, I think. Was it Joe Saunders or Tony Saunders. Something like that.

Others have had stress fractures like Bobby Jenks and had screws inserted to strengthen them but not true displaced fractures like this one.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)

Tom Browning as well, but pretty rare.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
Supposedly Zumaya had the same injury. He never pitched in the major leagues again. Of course he had several issues, so who really knows what Floyd's ultimate fate is here.

Joel Zumaya's most significant injury was a separated shoulder resulting in AC Arthrosis (which I have and it SUCKS). Was never able to throw a ball again. As highly doucherous as he was, I will always "respect" him for how he injured it.... evacuating his parents from their home that was under threat of wildfire.

Zumaya sustained another injury, this time to his shoulder, during the 2007 offseason. While helping his father move some boxes in the attic at his father's home in advance of a fire approaching the area, a 50 to 60 pounds (23 to 27 kg) box fell on his right (pitching) shoulder, separating it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Zumaya

Edited by Charlie Haeger's Knuckles

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
Joel Zumaya's most significant injury was a separated shoulder resulting in AC Arthrosis (which I have and it SUCKS). Was never able to throw a ball again. As highly doucherous as he was, I will always "respect" him for how he injured it.... evacuating his parents from their home that was under threat of wildfire.

After looking it up, his career was ended by a non-displaced fracture to his olecranon that needed a screw for stability. They decided to replace the screw which means that healing did not occur properly and may have been misaligned, which could explain why he never recovered properly.

That really is more of the stress fracture that I was referring to unlike Floyd's that is obviously displaced.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
After looking it up, his career was ended by a non-displaced fracture to his olecranon that needed a screw for stability. They decided to replace the screw which means that healing did not occur properly and may have been misaligned, which could explain why he never recovered properly.

That really is more of the stress fracture that I was referring to unlike Floyd's that is obviously displaced.

I was watching the game last night and he was cruising until that pitch... after you could see how swollen his arm was, and it wouldn't surprise me if there was something going on in there that caused it to break when he threw the pitch.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
I was watching the game last night and he was cruising until that pitch... after you could see how swollen his arm was, and it wouldn't surprise me if there was something going on in there that caused it to break when he threw the pitch.

I've just seen pictures and written description but it looks nasty.

I've only seen the humerus break. An old pal got TJS and his first competitive pitch went flying straight into the ground as we all heard an audible crack. He had a gruesome displaced fracture of the humerus

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)
I've only seen the humerus break. An old pal got TJS and his first competitive pitch went flying straight into the ground as we all heard an audible crack. He had a gruesome displaced fracture of the humerus

Pics or it didnt happen