Clippard to Houston for PTBNL or cash

Superstar Lamar

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 22, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)
Please tell Rick and KW to explore all options trading him immediately, if there's no interest (as there shouldn't be), DFA this joke immediately

Why? He needs to pitch. He'll either regain some value and bring back a prospect in August or he will help the Sox by blowing games. It's really a win-win.

QUOTE (Superstar Lamar @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 06:10 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox were able to move him for something, even salary relief over the next few weeks.

The eye test the last 2 games in Kansas City suggest otherwise. My gosh he's a bad pitcher.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
I'd say he's worth his contract if he gets us from the #3/4 pick to the #1 pick.

Why are these kind of troll posts acceptable when mine aren't? A post like this is worth nothing except to make me so mad that I want to respond. But I won't take the bait this time. We get it. You want us to lose every game. I want to win every game, so there's a difference of opinion. That's all.

p.s. You didn't need Clippard's contract to lose. There are plenty of stiffs in the minors you could bring up to accomplish the same thing as Clippard BTW. Plenty of bodies who will lose you games on the cheap.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 01:53 PM)
Why are these kind of troll posts acceptable when mine aren't? A post like this is worth nothing except to make me so mad that I want to respond. But I won't take the bait this time. We get it. You want us to lose every game. I want to win every game, so there's a difference of opinion. That's all.

p.s. You didn't need Clippard's contract to lose. There are plenty of stiffs in the minors you could bring up to accomplish the same thing as Clippard BTW. Plenty of bodies who will lose you games on the cheap.

But you did by responding...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 01:53 PM)

Time to accept reality, Greg. Winning games at this point does no good. The White Sox are not making the 2017 playoffs.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 07:05 PM)
Time to accept reality, Greg. Winning games at this point does no good. The White Sox are not making the 2017 playoffs.

I love the thrill of victory, though, and watching the walk off celebrations and seeing guys like TA or Davidson win games via the walk off or stellar overall play. Also I don't like some of the opponents much such as the Royals, Twins, Cubs.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 02:09 PM)
I love the thrill of victory, though, and watching the walk off celebrations and seeing guys like TA or Davidson win games via the walk off or stellar overall play. Also I don't like some of the opponents much such as the Royals, Twins, Cubs.

Sure. Wins here and there are inevitiable. But the Sox are much better off losing that extra 5-8 games that gets them the #1 or #2 pick instead of the #5 or #6.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 02:09 PM)

In the Sox current position, looking towards today is the wrong mentality. Be happy if they win, but be happy if they lose too. Losing can actually be a really good thing. You really see the mental capacity and the character of players during losing seasons like this. If guys can't get past it and can't improve, then they aren't good enough to be on the team moving forward. If they can look beyond the losing and continue to improve and play as well as they can, they're worthwhile in the long run.

They are going to be bad for at least the next 8 months, and it is not unreasonable to think that they'll be bad in 2019 too. It will be OK.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:00 PM)
In the Sox current position, looking towards today is the wrong mentality. Be happy if they win, but be happy if they lose too. Losing can actually be a really good thing. You really see the mental capacity and the character of players during losing seasons like this. If guys can't get past it and can't improve, then they aren't good enough to be on the team moving forward. If they can look beyond the losing and continue to improve and play as well as they can, they're worthwhile in the long run.

They are going to be bad for at least the next 8 months, and it is not unreasonable to think that they'll be bad in 2019 too. It will be OK.

I'm not trying to argue, just thinking out loud. I wonder if incessant losing affects some young guys negatively, like perhaps TA or even a Moncada. Let's say you are a bulldog so to speak and really love competing and getting hits for the greater good of the ol team. The fact your at bats in theory in August and September mean nothing ... could that affect 'some' prospects negatively. In other words, s*** try to hit it out every time since really each at bat means nothing.

Probably doesn't matter at all. Each hitter probably wants to get a hit just cause he wants to personally succeed, but when a team is this bad I know it'd be easy to just go take ones hacks rather than maybe work the count, etc., like u might do if the games meant something.

Don't take this as a negative post. It's just a thought that occurred to me in reading your post. You were making a good point in that you can see what a player is made of during a losing season. I was just wondering if my scenario could occur as well. A hitter saying, "s*** i might get lucky and hit 3-4 homers tonight if i go up there hacking.' Rather than trying to do the little things like whack a single with a two strike count and nobody on base trying to get a rally going when down 8-0.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:02 PM)
I'm not trying to argue, just thinking out loud. I wonder if incessant losing affects some young guys negatively, like perhaps TA or even a Moncada. Let's say you are a bulldog so to speak and really love competing and getting hits for the greater good of the ol team. The fact your at bats in theory in August and September mean nothing ... could that affect 'some' prospects negatively. In other words, s*** try to hit it out every time since really each at bat means nothing.

Probably doesn't matter at all. Each hitter probably wants to get a hit just cause he wants to personally succeed, but when a team is this bad I know it'd be easy to just go take ones hacks rather than maybe work the count, etc., like u might do if the games meant something.

Don't take this as a negative post. It's just a thought that occurred to me in reading your post. You were making a good point in that you can see what a player is made of during a losing season. I was just wondering if my scenario could occur as well. A hitter saying, "s*** i might get lucky and hit 3-4 homers tonight if i go up there hacking.' Rather than trying to do the little things like whack a single with a two strike count and nobody on base trying to get a rally going when down 8-0.

There will be some guys who really struggle with it, which is why having a guy like Renteria who, full well knowing how bad his team is, comes out every day fired up and ready kick some ass. That kind of guy is really important for a young team, which is why I think the Cubs were OK with him. Heck, they didn't relieve him of his duties until Maddon became a free agent, so they were more than willing to go with him as the manager heading into 2015 before the opportunity arose.

• 3 weeks later...

It appears that he has rebuilt some value with the help of Cooper. I assume he cleared waivers while things were not going well and that he is currently free to move. I expect to see him on another team before the deadline for being eligible for the playoffs. There are still teams out there who need bullpen help, like the Diamondbacks.

If he cleared waivers already, I'd have him be the closer the rest of the way and see if he can actually net something decent back. Most of the quality relievers won't make it to the good teams, so it could be slim pickings for them and a rejuvenated Clippard might be of some interest.

Edited by Chicago White Sox