Tim Anderson's Defense

I know this has been remarked before, but I am very pleased with how good Tim Anderson plays defensively. Some of the rangy plays that he makes are quite impressive. It also is gratifying when a player starts out in the minors with some question marks attached to his name defensively; but then, he elevates his game. Some may remember that when Gold Glover Robin Ventura was first drafted, he was considered to be a mediocre defensive third baseman.

I like those player stories where a guy really improves his defense in the minors and then in their initial stay in the majors. Avi Garcia seems like he has improved his defense in right field. Hopefully, he will become another player who joins the list of guys who did improve their defense through listening to the coaches and hard work.

Agreed. He still makes some mistakes, but that is to be expected. He has all the tools to be great and seemingly the head and work ethic to match.

One pleasant surprise is his arm. scouting reports seemed mixed on it, and seeing a dart to first from the left side of the infield makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

We know he is capable of being good, he has just gotten back to some bad habits, one handed plays, throwing off one foot when it isn't necessary...he will put in the time to correct it.

This is what young players, u less they are superstars do. Eventually, they all struggle, and his defense was so much better than advertised, he may have either slacked a bit with it, or wanted everything to always look spectacular He has been overall awful defensively, but has made many spectacular plays. IMO, he just needs to get back to basics, and not try to do too much. Make simple plays look simple.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 09:03 PM)
We know he is capable of being good, he has just gotten back to some bad habits, one handed plays, throwing off one foot when it isn't necessary...he will put in the time to correct it.

This is what young players, u less they are superstars do. Eventually, they all struggle, and his defense was so much better than advertised, he may have either slacked a bit with it, or wanted everything to always look spectacular He has been overall awful defensively, but has made many spectacular plays. IMO, he just needs to get back to basics, and not try to do too much. Make simple plays look simple.

agree. hopefully some vets will deliver the word to him.

It appeared when Renteria went to the mound after the second screwup, it was as much to talk to Anderson as it was to Gonzalez.

Long term, I think Anderson is a real solid player that has some better years than others. Kinda like Alexei. When the Sox get good, it would be a good sign if he's batting 7th.

As far as defense, make the routine plays and know when to not throw. He'll get there.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 03:29 PM)
Long term, I think Anderson is a real solid player that has some better years than others. Kinda like Alexei. When the Sox get good, it would be a good sign if he's batting 7th.

As far as defense, make the routine plays and know when to not throw. He'll get there.

I'm of the same mindset, there are going to be some ups and downs with all aspects of his game but when the sox compete he should be batting in the lower third of the order. As for defense love his range but its going to take some time for him to get adjusted to the speed and pace of play at the major league level while developing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 03:03 PM)

He is a guy who severely lacks reps. The perfect example is that Gordon Beckham had more PAs his Junior year of college than Anderson did in all of his college career. On top of that he didn't play baseball until his junior year of high school.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 01:03 PM)

Statcast had Ttim running 50 yards at 10 yards per second on that pop up. That's 10.0 seconds in a 100 yd dash while looking up tracking a pop up.

Tim has made some exceptional plays on pop-ups/short flyballs that he really should have no business getting to. This is why the Sox should not shy away from grabbing more middle infielders in any upcoming trades. Tim can always move to CF if a top tier SS is acquired. And I'm not saying Tim's future is in CF - I love watching him play SS and do the things he does, but it is always an option. He can be a plus defender at either spot most likely.

Yesterday's game was rather awful from Tim but it actually might be a good thing - remind himself to get back to the basics and not get ahead of himself. It's often said that once a player makes some plays in the field, his bat heats up as well.

Fangraphs has Anderson a plus defender again this year, even with the adventures yesterday. You guys need patience. SS is probably the position you judge the least by errors. His range makes up for a lot of his footwork and hands issues, and frankly until yesterday those had rarely, if ever shown up so much in a MLB game.

The "move this stud middle infielder to CF" cries are going to get really old in the next few years.

It's not about patience, because we have all the time in the world with this rebuild at the beginning stages.

My question is - is he letting his struggles at the plate affect him on the field now? That's one of the dangers of promoting a player too fast. We all see his potential and think he can be a very good player in the future. I'm just wondering if him not playing at the proper level right now will be detrimental to his future. I hope not.

Positional flexibility is so important in today's game it would be wrong not to bring up the conversation. The fact that Trea Turner can play both SS and CF competently opens up alot of options now for the Nats with the unfortunate Eaton injury. They can look for either a SS or CF to replace him.

Definitely not a "move a stud middle infielder to CF" point I was trying to make. If the Sox had the option to trade for top SS prospect that is also a great defender (Bregman. Rosario, Albies off the top of my head) you do not pass that up just because we already have a good young SS.

QUOTE (pablo @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
Positional flexibility is so important in today's game it would be wrong not to bring up the conversation. The fact that Trea Turner can play both SS and CF competently opens up alot of options now for the Nats with the unfortunate Eaton injury. They can look for either a SS or CF to replace him.

Definitely not a "move a stud middle infielder to CF" point I was trying to make. If the Sox had the option to trade for top SS prospect that is also a great defender (Bregman. Rosario, Albies off the top of my head) you do not pass that up just because we already have a good young SS.

By the advanced metrics TA has been already worth about 11 runs better than average, including .7 this year, as a MLB shortstop.

TA is a SS. Full stop. "Positional Flexibility" is great, but so is an above average defense MLB SS.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
By the advanced metrics TA has been already worth about 11 runs better than average, including .7 this year, as a MLB shortstop.

TA is a SS. Full stop. "Positional Flexibility" is great, but so is an above average defense MLB SS.

Not sure where you are getting that I don't believe Tim is a SS, but I guess you can spin it how you like. He's a very good SS who is already premium at the position.

In case you missed it, Sox are in a rebuild and should be acquiring the best talent possible and if that means you duplicate a few positions and figure out where everyone plays later then that is what you do. Only point I am trying to make. Tim's athleticism is an asset to the organization in this regard.

Trea Turner was a SS "Full Stop" until June last year, played about a week of games in CF, and then transformed a struggling Nats team and took them to the playoffs. I'm guessing you would have kept him in the minors all last year at SS though.

QUOTE (pablo @ May 1, 2017 -> 12:33 PM)
Not sure where you are getting that I don't believe Tim is a SS, but I guess you can spin it how you like. He's a very good SS who is already premium at the position.

In case you missed it, Sox are in a rebuild and should be acquiring the best talent possible and if that means you duplicate a few positions and figure out where everyone plays later then that is what you do. Only point I am trying to make. Tim's athleticism is an asset to the organization in this regard.

Trea Turner was a SS "Full Stop" until June last year, played about a week of games in CF, and then transformed a struggling Nats team and took them to the playoffs. I'm guessing you would have kept him in the minors all last year at SS though.

Turner was a butcher in CF. It was his wRC+ of 147 that "took them to the playoffs", if anything.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...;position=2B/OF

His defense is so much better than I expected. His floor is already above average which is huge- ceiling is greatness. Defensively that is. Worrying about a young person making some mistakes and jumping to conclusions from it is in the manual of What Not To Do As An Adult Human.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)

You don't take a young kid you is really good at one of the most important defensive positions and move him around. That is for the marginal defensive guys at the corner positions.