Astros acquire Verlander

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 06:59 AM)
I absolutely love that this is how the Astros choose to trade their prospects and blow their money on. Hardly the END of the world for them or anything, but man they had many other easier options out there. I hope they lose so bad.

They also would have had to given away a lot more.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 08:49 AM)
And a Texas team bails the Tigers out of another albatross contract. This sucks. They're supposed to have to suffer for the win-now moves, but they keep finding someone to overpay for the back ends of these contracts.

What's next, a legit prospect for Jordan Zimmermann?

With that prospect return my guess is that Tigers are paying a nice chunk of money.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 06:49 AM)
And a Texas team bails the Tigers out of another albatross contract. This sucks. They're supposed to have to suffer for the win-now moves, but they keep finding someone to overpay for the back ends of these contracts.

What's next, a legit prospect for Jordan Zimmermann?

Is that really an albatross contract? He's been worth every bit of it, even last year and this year.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 09:18 AM)
Verlander at this year verlander is worth 20 mill.

Can't believe how much Tigers got back for him, honestly.

It is odd how much the Tigers value prospects over cash. It wouldn't have taken that much more to get a guy without nearly as much of a contract around his neck, much younger, and probably with a better future in front of him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 09:20 AM)
It is odd how much the Tigers value prospects over cash. It wouldn't have taken that much more to get a guy without nearly as much of a contract around his neck, much younger, and probably with a better future in front of him.

I don't think that's quite accurate. I think the tigers are just over that threshold of where you need to be Dodgers level wealthy to have as much dead cash as that. Once they hit a certain level I think they operate closer.

They also were bat heavy in a time of pitcher demand. Castellanos would be ideal in a certain market.

But for Verlander and Wilson I think they did well. Missed the boat with Fulmer though. Most of the big horses have cashed out.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 07:18 AM)
Verlander at this year verlander is worth 20 mill.

Can't believe how much Tigers got back for him, honestly.

I think he's worth more than that...he's on pace for nearly 4 fwar.

Now build in some playoff starts/value his postseason experience.

It isn't an albatross contract. It's fair value.

This was a nice deal for Detroit, don't get me wrong, but they didn't trade some guy who didn't have value himself.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 04:59 AM)
I absolutely love that this is how the Astros choose to trade their prospects and blow their money on. Hardly the END of the world for them or anything, but man they had many other easier options out there. I hope they lose so bad.

I actually think in hindsight, they did well getting Verlander and they got him just in the nick of time. They gave up some talent, but I like what we got from the Cubs more. That said, Tigers did well. I wonder if Harvey played into this at all and the Astros front office decided they wanted to make a major push to try and create something for Houston to be excited for (in the midst of all the tragedy and what will be a long recovery).

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 09:26 AM)
I don't think that's quite accurate. I think the tigers are just over that threshold of where you need to be Dodgers level wealthy to have as much dead cash as that. Once they hit a certain level I think they operate closer.

They also were bat heavy in a time of pitcher demand. Castellanos would be ideal in a certain market.

But for Verlander and Wilson I think they did well. Missed the boat with Fulmer though. Most of the big horses have cashed out.

Yeah, I said Tigers, I meant Astros. Houston seems to value their prospects way higher than money. It wouldn't have taken much more prospects to land them a Gray or Quintana, but they didn't. Instead they got an older and way more expensive pitcher who has had some pretty bad years recently, who is signed up for a really long time.