My search skills are really sucking on this

Texsox

I need three historic maps from 1950 (Pre-Eisenhower Highway). 1949 may also work, but 1950 would be best.

US Interstate Highways

Texas Roads

Pan American Highway in Mexico

It seemed like such a simple request but I've been looking for a couple hours and I think I am blinded from the obvious.

I belong to this message board http://www.aaroads.com/forum/ and if you join and post your question there somebody there will most definitely have it.

EDIT: The interstate highway system didn't exist until 1956, so there were no interstates in 1950, though some freeways currently designated as interstates may have been built pre-1950.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 09:50 AM)
I belong to this message board http://www.aaroads.com/forum/ and if you join and post your question there somebody there will most definitely have it.

EDIT: The interstate highway system didn't exist until 1956, so there were no interstates in 1950, though some freeways currently designated as interstates may have been built pre-1950.

Thank you. While I knew the interstate act in '56 were a major beginning point, I hadn't considered that the word was coined in 1956. That may have been a major stumbling block.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)
Have you tried Ebay? I know I have found some amazing historical items like this from my hometown all of the way back to the 19th century. It is hit or miss, but that might be a place to look.

I did. But my problem may again have been wrong search terms.

I noticed that as I was searching it was all state maps that showed up. I doggedly kept looking for a national map. But that may not have been available until post 1956. Interesting.

Thanks everyone.

From my early research travel in the pre Eisenhower Highway days was a challenge. Basically you would be connecting local and state maps to find a route. I am looking into the history of AAA. My grandparents were members and I remember the big trip planner maps they would use when I was young. Every adventure started with a trip to AAA. (with my family it should have ended at AA)

Thanks everyone.

From my early research travel in the pre Eisenhower Highway days was a challenge. Basically you would be connecting local and state maps to find a route. I am looking into the history of AAA. My grandparents were members and I remember the big trip planner maps they would use when I was young. Every adventure started with a trip to AAA. (with my family it should have ended at AA)

Started with AAA but should have ended at AA? Sounds a lot like Jared Mitchell to me.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 22, 2015 -> 05:52 AM)
Thanks everyone.

Contact AAA directly. They probably have someone there who serves as a defacto historian.

My parents still use AAA. Last winter, instead of sending them through the nice, relatively easy Eisenhower Tunnel up to Keystone, they sent them through the Loveland Pass. They were driving up around 1AM due to delayed flights, and it was in the middle of a blizzard. They made it maybe 1/2 of a mile up the road before getting stuck twice and almost sliding off the side of a mountain.