Red Sox Targeting Frazier?

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 01:00 AM)
I don't think the scout at the game means much. There really doesn't seem to be a guy on Boston's roster that would be a good match for a trade. The White Sox would most likely get a minor leaguer.

Just do Frazier for Swihart and move on

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 01:46 AM)
I think we should keep Frazier

Might as well dump him and play Davidson at third every day, El Rockin. If Boston is dumb enough to want Dunn, I mean Frazier, shouldn't we let him walk? He's not good.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 09:46 PM)
Oh I know but Sox have tried to get him for years. I just want to see people blame KW

I honestly think all joking aside Swihart is a reasonable piece to come back for Frazier two of these five: Swihart, Beeks, Ball, Mars & Lin.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 01:45 AM)
I honestly think all joking aside Swihart is a reasonable piece to come back for Frazier two of these five: Swihart, Beeks, Ball, Mars & Lin.

Swihart has no trade value at this point, he cannot stay healthy and his production has been terrible. He's 25 years old and not getting any younger as well.

I'd much rather look for younger players that still have upside.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 08:40 AM)
Swihart has no trade value at this point, he cannot stay healthy and his production has been terrible. He's 25 years old and not getting any younger as well.

I'd much rather look for younger players that still have upside.

While I agree that we should target younger players, the price on Frazier likely won't be high. Not a lot of teams need a 3B and there are alternative options (Lowrie, Neil Walker could move back to 3B, Kendrick, Nunez, Cozart, Solarte, Freese). It would also be pointless to keep him.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 06:44 AM)
While I agree that we should target younger players, the price on Frazier likely won't be high. Not a lot of teams need a 3B and there are alternative options (Lowrie, Neil Walker could move back to 3B, Kendrick, Nunez, Cozart, Solarte, Freese). It would also be pointless to keep him.

It is basically a salary dump.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 08:38 PM)
Gross. Swihart is toast. OPSing .600 in AAA.

I would take a chance on him turning it around. Throw in Owens too, another guy that has fallen by the way side. Two guys that could really benefit from a change of scenery and that could turn it around and turn into valuable players. If not, you get some salary relief and get to work Davidson at 3B everyday.

Frazier is not going to bring much at this point, might as well try some guys who have made it to the majors to see if you can fix them rather than rolling the dice on lottery ticket guys.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 09:26 AM)
I would take a chance on him turning it around. Throw in Owens too, another guy that has fallen by the way side. Two guys that could really benefit from a change of scenery and that could turn it around and turn into valuable players. If not, you get some salary relief and get to work Davidson at 3B everyday.

Frazier is not going to bring much at this point, might as well try some guys who have made it to the majors to see if you can fix them rather than rolling the dice on lottery ticket guys.

I'd prefer younger players with upside, but I'd be fine with an Owens / Swihart package. Swihart alone would be pretty awful at this point, but better than nothing, I suppose.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
I'd prefer younger players with upside, but I'd be fine with an Owens / Swihart package. Swihart alone would be pretty awful at this point, but better than nothing, I suppose.

I think former top prospect reclamation project isn't the worst player type to pursue with a guy like Frazier on .5 a year.

I'd trade for Frazier if I was a contender needing a 3B. I calculated his expected BABIP a couple of weeks ago and it was over .300 iirc, compared to his current .223. His walks are by far at a career-high, strikeouts close to a career-low and power at his career norms. Just needs a few hits to start dropping in and his triple slash will start to look pretty.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 09:35 AM)
I'd trade for Frazier if I was a contender needing a 3B. I calculated his expected BABIP a couple of weeks ago and it was over .300 iirc, compared to his current .223. His walks are by far at a career-high, strikeouts close to a career-low and power at his career norms. Just needs a few hits to start dropping in and his triple slash will start to look pretty.

I remember the first few weeks of the season, he hit the ball really hard but the ball always found a fielder whether it was right at someone or someone made a nice play on him. If he had 5 more hits right now, his average would be .235 instead of .214.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 09:31 AM)
I think former top prospect reclamation project isn't the worst player type to pursue with a guy like Frazier on .5 a year.

Owens and Swihart have little to no value right now though. While the price for Frazier may not be high, I would much rather look for younger players that have some upside instead of 24-25 washed up prospects.

Owens is walking 7.8 batters per 9 IP in the minors this season, YIKES! He turns 25 in July.

Swihart is 25 and has a .607 OPS in the minors this season. Tons of injury problems in the past.

Give me 18-21 year olds with upside any day over those guys

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 09:43 AM)
Owens and Swihart have little to no value right now though. While the price for Frazier may not be high, I would much rather look for younger players that have some upside instead of 24-25 washed up prospects.

Owens is walking 7.8 batters per 9 IP in the minors this season, YIKES! He turns 25 in July.

Swihart is 25 and has a .607 OPS in the minors this season. Tons of injury problems in the past.

Give me 18-21 year olds with upside any day over those guys

It's possible the best they can do is Swihart and Owens though. Sure we'd all rather have the much younger prospects but that may not be up to the White Sox. And you're talking about these guys like they are 28/29 years old. Owens gives you a 24-year old you can try to stick in the rotation after they move guys and call guys up/go to 6-man rotation or see if he can turn into a reliable lefty reliever long-term.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 09:47 AM)
It's possible the best they can do is Swihart and Owens though. Owens gives you a 24-year old you can try to stick in the rotation after they move guys and call guys up/go to 6-man rotation or see if he can turn into a reliable lefty reliever long-term.

Owens is 25 in July and just got demoted to AA

https://www.overthemonster.com/2017/6/26/15...-red-sox-minors

His control is awful.

I certainly want to move Frazier, but we can get more interesting prospects than Swihart and Owens. Why help the Red Sox and get garbage back? Low level guys with some upside would be a much better move.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 09:47 AM)
It's possible the best they can do is Swihart and Owens though. Sure we'd all rather have the much younger prospects but that may not be up to the White Sox. And you're talking about these guys like they are 28/29 years old. Owens gives you a 24-year old you can try to stick in the rotation after they move guys and call guys up/go to 6-man rotation or see if he can turn into a reliable lefty reliever long-term.

Owens in more interesting to me than Swihart. If that combo is the best you can do, you take it. But I have a feeling Rick will be trying for better.