**2016 Video Game Thread**

ChiliIrishHammock24

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 01:46 AM)
Also, Firewatch FINALLY got a price. The game comes out in a week and finally a price. $17.99 on pre-order!

http://www.firewatchgame.com/

Can't wait for that game. I've been following it for....around 6 months or so.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to that one as well.

Anybody try The Division beta last weekend? I gave several hours to the Xbox One version and I think it has a lot of potential. Because of the way players can flip from friendly to hostile on a dime, the different ways to play PvP were extensive, and that was with 75% of the skill tree and many of the other depth elements completely disabled for the beta. Seems like a fun loot shooter that I'm liable to sink a lot of time into.

Best part - often when you kill an NPC, his friend yells, "They got Alex!" That's the only name they ever say. Seems like at least 20% of the enemies in this game are named Alex. It was delightful. I wonder if they just limited chatter options in the beta, but I hope the Alex meme lives on in the full game.

Edited by shysocks

I had a really bad Fifa moment where I had this really creative and fun end of transfer window, and didn't realized I needed to accept their contracts after i got the "accepted" emails. So the window ended and I was like..."where is everyone". So I basically lost all my players and gained no one. I should probably be fired.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 01:45 AM)
Ho-lee Humble Bundle..... :o

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Just got the $15 one.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Grow Home

Rayman Origins

Far Cry 3

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China

Assassin's Creed Rogue

The Crew

For $15. :o

Do you ever leave the house?

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
Saw the trailer for the new Doom game.

Nostalgia makes me excited but it just seems like another FPS game.

The original was so awesome because there were very few like it. You basically had Wolfenstein and Doom as the big ones. Now you have a huge choice

Nostalgia should bring people in though, everyone loves those demons

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 02:52 PM)
The original was so awesome because there were very few like it. You basically had Wolfenstein and Doom as the big ones. Now you have a huge choice

Nostalgia should bring people in though, everyone loves those demons

That's what I'm thinking too. I might get it just because of that.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 12:05 PM)
Anybody try The Division beta last weekend? I gave several hours to the Xbox One version and I think it has a lot of potential. Because of the way players can flip from friendly to hostile on a dime, the different ways to play PvP were extensive, and that was with 75% of the skill tree and many of the other depth elements completely disabled for the beta. Seems like a fun loot shooter that I'm liable to sink a lot of time into.

I only got to play for a couple hours, if that, but I really liked the Madison Square Garden mission. If those are what the story missions are going to be like, sign me up. The open world is really pretty and I like the premise, even if it is entirely absurd. The one major gripe I have is the bullet sponge enemies. The elite enemies or whatever they're calling them are just dudes walking around with a winter coat and a snow cap and they take a full round of bullets without staggering.

I wish it was more like The Last of Us multiplayer where it hurt to get shot a couple times and you had to make a med kit and take time to apply it to heal. That would make their dark zone area much more interesting. No one would want to get into a fire fight with another player because it would be so easy to die. Now if you get into a fire fight it could go on for several minutes or one of you could easily just bail in the middle.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
I had a really bad Fifa moment where I had this really creative and fun end of transfer window, and didn't realized I needed to accept their contracts after i got the "accepted" emails. So the window ended and I was like..."where is everyone". So I basically lost all my players and gained no one. I should probably be fired.

Ha, I would have just quit and reloaded. FIFA career mode is so flaky that weird s*** happens all the time.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 6, 2016 -> 12:47 AM)
I only got to play for a couple hours, if that, but I really liked the Madison Square Garden mission. If those are what the story missions are going to be like, sign me up. The open world is really pretty and I like the premise, even if it is entirely absurd. The one major gripe I have is the bullet sponge enemies. The elite enemies or whatever they're calling them are just dudes walking around with a winter coat and a snow cap and they take a full round of bullets without staggering.

I wish it was more like The Last of Us multiplayer where it hurt to get shot a couple times and you had to make a med kit and take time to apply it to heal. That would make their dark zone area much more interesting. No one would want to get into a fire fight with another player because it would be so easy to die. Now if you get into a fire fight it could go on for several minutes or one of you could easily just bail in the middle.

Ha, I would have just quit and reloaded. FIFA career mode is so flaky that weird s*** happens all the time.

I did, no dice. ended up doing the billionaire takeover in offseason anyhow and got more players.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 6, 2016 -> 12:47 AM)

Clearly they're going for an RPG feel, but it is true that enemies (and players) felt very spongey. I'm chalking it up to beta limitations for now; hopefully the full game gives us more ways to keep firefights interesting.

The Dark Zone definitely needs some balance tweaks as well. There should be more disincentives for going rogue - take away more XP & money for death, maybe make them use separate extraction choppers from everyone else. To your point about long fights, one of the cheap tricks I took advantage of was that you lose rogue status after you die. So if I'm in a group of 4, we're all rogues, and I die, I can just respawn, trot back to the fight, blindside the enemy (who has forgotten about me by now), and rejoin my team. If you're within a certain distance of rogue teammates, you should be instantly flagged rogue.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 10:03 AM)
Clearly they're going for an RPG feel, but it is true that enemies (and players) felt very spongey. I'm chalking it up to beta limitations for now; hopefully the full game gives us more ways to keep firefights interesting.

The Dark Zone definitely needs some balance tweaks as well. There should be more disincentives for going rogue - take away more XP & money for death, maybe make them use separate extraction choppers from everyone else. To your point about long fights, one of the cheap tricks I took advantage of was that you lose rogue status after you die. So if I'm in a group of 4, we're all rogues, and I die, I can just respawn, trot back to the fight, blindside the enemy (who has forgotten about me by now), and rejoin my team. If you're within a certain distance of rogue teammates, you should be instantly flagged rogue.

Good points on the Dark Zone. I didn't get to mess around in it that much so I hadn't put too much thought into it. This makes it sound like Division will be another game that will be much better a few months after launch than it will be at launch once they figure out tweaks like this.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)

That happened to me when I first started playing FIFA. But there's a reason why you gotta accept the contract offer. It's so you can negotiate with multiple players at once.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 11:09 AM)
That happened to me when I first started playing FIFA. But there's a reason why you gotta accept the contract offer. It's so you can negotiate with multiple players at once.

Ahhh, makes sense.

I ended up splurging on younger promising players but, while fun, I'm now spread too thin for training them. Was easier when I focused on two and maxed em out every week.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 05:29 PM)
Ahhh, makes sense.

I ended up splurging on younger promising players but, while fun, I'm now spread too thin for training them. Was easier when I focused on two and maxed em out every week.

Yup, developing players is all the fun of career mode.

Good young players to target: Embolo, Boufal, Tielemans, Coman, Bellerin, Dybala, Traore.

Good list here: http://www.futhead.com/16/career-mode/play...ng_beast_rating

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 05:38 PM)
Yup, developing players is all the fun of career mode.

Good young players to target: Embolo, Boufal, Tielemans, Coman, Bellerin, Dybala, Traore.

Good list here: http://www.futhead.com/16/career-mode/play...ng_beast_rating

You actually play with big teams? I always start with some League Two team in England and build them up. In year three I'm currently in the Championship with 6 teenagers starting and 10 starters 21 and under. Not even a little bit realistic, but it's fun to play with the kids as they develop.

Oh, and the Humble Bundle adding 2 more games to their Ubisoft package, it's now....

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Grow Home

Rayman Origins

Far Cry 3

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China

Assassin's Creed Rogue

The Crew

PLUS

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

All for $15.

In addition to FC3 being one of my top 3 favorite games on the PS3, Blood Dragon is the best DLC I've ever played, even better than Red Dead's Undead Nightmare.