Vacation/Travel Thread

Texsox

So far we have a week scheduled in Bend, Oregon. A week in New Mexico that will be part work. And a couple weeks in Chicago and Eagle River / St. Germain area of Wisconsin. I also need to complete a 2 week training program on literacy and another week at a College Board AP Workshop. It's looking like a very busy summer.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only thing set in stone is 5 Nights in New Orleans at the beginning of June. Can't wait, favorite place in the world.

There's a chance through my job that I'd be allowed to take June 27th - July 25th off. If so, I was going to drive to Gettysburg, down to Williamsburg (visit a friend), a night or two in Charleston, same with Savannah, down to Orlando to visit my brother, then over to Gulf Shores, AL and meet up with my parents. Then back north.

Otherwise, a couple bachelor parties involving a cabin in Wisconsin and weekend trip to Vegas.

Bye bye, Money.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2016 -> 09:32 AM)
Sounds like we will be making a trip to Galveston TX this summer. We'll probably rent a house on the beach, see an Astros game, spend a day at the Johnson Space Center, take the Bolivar Ferry, and plenty of beach days.

Why Galveston?

To celebrate our second anniversary, the wife and I took a 3 night staycation on the Strip this last week. On the evening of our anniversary, we celebrated with dinner at CarneVino.

I must say, I cannot recommend this place enough to any of you looking for a quality steakhouse next time you come out to Vegas.

One of the best meals I've ever had in my life.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 2, 2016 -> 08:38 AM)
So far we have a week scheduled in Bend, Oregon. A week in New Mexico that will be part work. And a couple weeks in Chicago and Eagle River / St. Germain area of Wisconsin. I also need to complete a 2 week training program on literacy and another week at a College Board AP Workshop. It's looking like a very busy summer.

When are you going to be in Bend, and what are you planning on checking out in the area? We've got a tentatively planned trip to Oregon for late July, and I think our route took us through Bend for a night. We were flying into Portland and basically doing a big loop of the state, hitting the coast first before dropping down to Crater Lake. Then we wind our way east to the Wallowas before heading back down the Columbia River Gorge to the Mt. Hood area and eventually back to Portland for a night or two.

edit other than that, we're going to Maine/Acadia for a long weekend in a month and to Breckenridge for a friend's wedding over Labor Day weekend.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Pods70Rowand33 @ May 2, 2016 -> 08:32 PM)
Visiting home (Chicago) and going to San Francisco. Looking forward to both. :)

San Francisco is a great town. I was just there again for a night last week and stayed in the heart of the downtown area. If you want to do the Alcatraz tours, make sure you book it in advance because they do fill up. If you're staying completely in the city or areas accessible by public transportation (BART), avoid getting a rental car because driving there is a nightmare and parking is $$$ ($70/night for hotel parking).

Pier 39 is okay but there are some better restaurants just a short stroll down to Fisherman's Wharf in my opinion. Golden Gate park is huge and you could spend the better part of a day just wandering around there.

DC, San Antone and the Liberty Town, Boston and Baton Rouge
Tulsa, Austin, Oklahoma City, Seattle, San Francisco, too
Everywhere there's music, real live music, bands with a million styles
But It's still that some old rock and roll music
that really really drives 'em wild

They say the heart of rock and roll is still beating
And from what I've seen I believe 'em
Now the old boy may be barely breathing
But the heart of rock and roll, heart of rock and roll is still beating

In Cleveland

You have to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 3, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)
When are you going to be in Bend, and what are you planning on checking out in the area? We've got a tentatively planned trip to Oregon for late July, and I think our route took us through Bend for a night. We were flying into Portland and basically doing a big loop of the state, hitting the coast first before dropping down to Crater Lake. Then we wind our way east to the Wallowas before heading back down the Columbia River Gorge to the Mt. Hood area and eventually back to Portland for a night or two.

edit other than that, we're going to Maine/Acadia for a long weekend in a month and to Breckenridge for a friend's wedding over Labor Day weekend.

We are going at the end of June. Hiking, biking, microbreweries, Crater Lake, heading to the coast.

We were in Acadia a couple summers ago. Bar Harbor is a great tourist town. We loved driving through the small coastal towns. Sailing on the bay. Whale watch. Bahr and Lahbsta every day.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 3, 2016 -> 07:28 AM)

If you are lucky, the aspens will be changing in Breck over Labor Day. If you have time for a hike while you are there, Mohawk Lakes is a good one.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
We are going at the end of June. Hiking, biking, microbreweries, Crater Lake, heading to the coast.

We were in Acadia a couple summers ago. Bar Harbor is a great tourist town. We loved driving through the small coastal towns. Sailing on the bay. Whale watch. Bahr and Lahbsta every day.

We actually drove around Bar Harbor at the end of March (my work trip to the area overlapped with her spring break), but it was very much still winter there. My wife had to work really, really hard to convince me to go back.

Any specific spots/areas/trails you're looking at around Bend? I'm finding it a little hard to know where to start looking since it's not just a "go to National Park X and find the best trails there" trip.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:10 AM)
If you are lucky, the aspens will be changing in Breck over Labor Day. If you have time for a hike while you are there, Mohawk Lakes is a good one.

Thanks for the recommendation. I think that was one of the ones I saw while briefly looking at some hikes in the area. A small group of us including the bride and groom are planning on doing at least some hiking one of the days.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2016 -> 09:05 AM)
I don't say this about a lot of places I have been, but Cleveland f***ing sucks.

I was there for a wedding last year, the downtown area had enough going on to have a fun weekend. If the Bears played there, I wouldn't be against going for a Saturday-Monday jaunt. But yeah, overall it looked like it really f***ing sucks.

I'm probably going to Washington D.C. this summer. Are there any tourist attractions that you guys would recommend (other than the obvious ones)?

Don't know how long you'll be there, and I don't know what your interest is, but these are always my top recommendations:

Holocaust Museum

National Museum of American History

Arlington National Cemetery

Lincoln Memorial

Vietnam and WWII Memorials

National Air and Space Museum

Bureau of Printing and Engraving