FS: In-person, detailed scouting notes from the fall leagues

NorthSideSox72

This is the first in what will be 3 or 4 guest posts from Chris Kusiolek. Chris is a budding scout, who is about to head to the DR to work with a development pipeline down there. He's been scouting as an amateur the last few years, before getting this new professional gig.

Fortunately, he got notes on a couple dozen White Sox prospects he saw in AFL and Instructs that he was willing to share. This article covers the first six reports. Future articles will cover more.

Keep in mind that these are scouting NOTES - this doesn't read like a typical article. They are just his views on these players from his time scouting them.

I'm going to guess that some of his takes here will cause some controversy, especially around Kopech, but also maybe on Collins and Hawkins. His views may not match popular theory on those players.

His Hawkins take seems to fit right in with Courtney's performance the last few seasons.

The Collins take is with a grain of salt IMO. He's seen him twice. Kopech? Who knows? He's seen him pitch more than almost everyone here, but his criticisms, and they really weren't dire, for both seem to be correctable.

The one thing that does concern me a bit with Collins is many guys drafted as catchers but are expected to shift to other positions because of defensive concerns bats seem to not live up to the hype. One exception is Paulie. I think there is hope for him as a catcher. Orton seems to be a pretty good instructor.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 08:16 AM)
His Hawkins take seems to fit right in with Courtney's performance the last few seasons.

The Collins take is with a grain of salt IMO. He's seen him twice. Kopech? Who knows? He's seen him pitch more than almost everyone here, but his criticisms, and they really weren't dire, for both seem to be correctable.

The one thing that does concern me a bit with Collins is many guys drafted as catchers but are expected to shift to other positions because of defensive concerns bats seem to not live up to the hype. One exception is Paulie. I think there is hope for him as a catcher. Orton seems to be a pretty good instructor.

Yeah, I don't necessarily agree with all his points. And yes, Kopech's issues are seemingly fixable. Chris isn't saying they can't be, just that he needs substantial work to get there. And as you said, he's seen him in person five times, which is five more than I have.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 08:16 AM)

From my understanding, Konerko's main issue to move from catcher was a degenerative hip moreso than defensive issues that weren't linked to the hip. So you can probably take him out of this "exception."

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 07:58 AM)
This is the first in what will be 3 or 4 guest posts from Chris Kusiolek. Chris is a budding scout, who is about to head to the DR to work with a development pipeline down there. He's been scouting as an amateur the last few years, before getting this new professional gig.

Fortunately, he got notes on a couple dozen White Sox prospects he saw in AFL and Instructs that he was willing to share. This article covers the first six reports. Future articles will cover more.

Keep in mind that these are scouting NOTES - this doesn't read like a typical article. They are just his views on these players from his time scouting them.

I'm going to guess that some of his takes here will cause some controversy, especially around Kopech, but also maybe on Collins and Hawkins. His views may not match popular theory on those players.

Well, there's also Schwarber.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 08:28 AM)
Yeah, I don't necessarily agree with all his points. And yes, Kopech's issues are seemingly fixable. Chris isn't saying they can't be, just that he needs substantial work to get there. And as you said, he's seen him in person five times, which is five more than I have.

I should also point out Chris's opinion of "4th starter" is vastly different from what I and many others would consider. He believes that true #1's are "generational arms" and #2 are elites, and "mid-rotation" guys are basically what most would consider #1 or #2 starters.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 10:35 AM)
I should also point out Chris's opinion of "4th starter" is vastly different from what I and many others would consider. He believes that true #1's are "generational arms" and #2 are elites, and "mid-rotation" guys are basically what most would consider #1 or #2 starters.

His approach seems to be very conservative. I'm not as high on kopeck as most are. He has shown immaturity, but the plus arm strength is tantalizing if he can improve his secondary offerings and command. He will need at least two full minor league seasons of development, likely three.

Nobody knows if Collins can stick at catcher, but there is not much doubt the bat can play at the MLB level.

Hawkins is a bust.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 03:00 PM)
His approach seems to be very conservative. I'm not as high on kopeck as most are. He has shown immaturity, but the plus arm strength is tantalizing if he can improve his secondary offerings and command. He will need at least two full minor league seasons of development, likely three.

Nobody knows if Collins can stick at catcher, but there is not much doubt the bat can play at the MLB level.

Hawkins is a bust.

When a guy hits triple digits, there's benefits to being conservative with them and keeping them down as long as they need to build up their arms, but AA and AAA hitters are often not going to be enough of a challenge to force a guy to really work on his secondary stuff. I would not be surprised at all if his numbers were good enough to earn a mid-2018 callup, and that is what I care about with him - earn the callup. Once he's better than AAA hitters and his arm is where it needs to be, big league hitters are gong to be the guys who will challenge his secondary stuff and command.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 03:00 PM)

Hawkins is a bust.

That's pretty definitive. I remember three years ago when everyone here loved him and had him #1 on their prospect lists, and I objected and was, of course, roundly criticized. Glad to see someone agreeing with me, although I never used the "bust" word. If I had, I might have been banned for heresy.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 05:38 PM)
That's pretty definitive. I remember three years ago when everyone here loved him and had him #1 on their prospect lists, and I objected and was, of course, roundly criticized. Glad to see someone agreeing with me, although I never used the "bust" word. If I had, I might have been banned for heresy.

To be fair...this was the White Sox's system. There were probably 4 busts out of the top 5.

To be fair...this was the White Sox's system. There were probably 4 busts out of the top 5.

1. Courtney Hawkins, of

2. Trayce Thompson, of

3. Carlos Sanchez, ss/2b

4. Erik Johnson, rhp

5. Keenyn Walker, of

6. Scott Snodgress, lhp

7. Andre Rienzo, rhp

8. Keon Barnum, 1b

9. Jared Mitchell, of

10. Chris Beck, rhp

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2013...llUAzpU67oEH.99

NOT GOOD

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 04:56 PM)
1. Courtney Hawkins, of

2. Trayce Thompson, of

3. Carlos Sanchez, ss/2b

4. Erik Johnson, rhp

5. Keenyn Walker, of

6. Scott Snodgress, lhp

7. Andre Rienzo, rhp

8. Keon Barnum, 1b

9. Jared Mitchell, of

10. Chris Beck, rhp

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2013...llUAzpU67oEH.99

NOT GOOD

I did that without looking.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 04:12 PM)
Speaking of Hawkins, at what point do you consider putting him on the mound?

Funny you should ask, because I suggested that back in November. I think maybe you start this offseason, but if not, give him until the ASG in AA this year then try it. If he's even willing to give it a try.