6/30 Games

flavum

6 more scoreless for Marin, now at 28 straight.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
Marin has proven that he isn't just doing it with smoke and mirrors in AAA, I wonder what his realistic ceiling is? Long man out of the bullpen? #5 Starter? Higher?

Prospect profile

Article he wrote

Those should help you out.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)
White Sox baseball...

Charlotte Top of the 8th

• Tyler Saladino hit by pitch.
  • Jason Coats bunt pops out to catcher Audry Perez.

it's the minors, so they work on that stuff, but I'd hope they wouldn't take the bat out of Coats' hands like that in the majors. He's actually been kinda cold this month though, so maybe isn't so terrible.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)
6 more scoreless for Marin, now at 28 straight.

Prospect profile

Article he wrote

Those should help you out.

Thanks, I didn't know that he raised his velocity to the mid-90s. If he can maintain that deep into games you have to believe he has a shot to crack the rotation with his type of control.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)
Thanks, I didn't know that he raised his velocity to the mid-90s. If he can maintain that deep into games you have to believe he has a shot to crack the rotation with his type of control.

Important - he TOUCHES mid-90s. His fastball is usually more 91-93, which is still a couple clicks faster than he was 2 years ago. ITs a sinker really.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
Important - he TOUCHES mid-90s. His fastball is usually more 91-93, which is still a couple clicks faster than he was 2 years ago. ITs a sinker really.

Ahhhh, that's a key difference, still if he can stay around 93 into the fifth and later then he could develop into a starter. Also a sinker/cutter mix must be a nightmare for hitters to face.

9th inning HR for Kottaras. 1-0

On Davidson, I know he's not part of the future, but neither is Beckham or Gillaspie. Maybe in August and September they give him a look, and see what they have there. For a bad team, it isn't going to hurt anyone.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
Ahhhh, that's a key difference, still if he can stay around 93 into the fifth and later then he could develop into a starter. Also a sinker/cutter mix must be a nightmare for hitters to face.

Here's an interesting thought. Chris Beck has still been looked at as a Top 20 or even close to Top 10 guy in the Sox system. He and Marin are both sinker-cutter primarily, with the breaking pitches being less reliable. Marin is only one year older than Beck. Marin actually gets more ground balls than Beck does, and strikes out more guys (long term - not this year so far in small sample) than Beck does. Yet Marin wasn't even a consideration for being a T30 guy until, basically, now.

Yes I know the circumstances are different, yes I know Beck at one time had a strong slider, yes I know current Marin is different than past Marin. Just saying, they have similarities, and maybe they aren't as far apart as you'd think.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 01:27 PM)
Here's an interesting thought. Chris Beck has still been looked at as a Top 20 or even close to Top 10 guy in the Sox system. He and Marin are both sinker-cutter primarily, with the breaking pitches being less reliable. Marin is only one year older than Beck. Marin actually gets more ground balls than Beck does, and strikes out more guys (long term - not this year so far in small sample) than Beck does. Yet Marin wasn't even a consideration for being a T30 guy until, basically, now.

Yes I know the circumstances are different, yes I know Beck at one time had a strong slider, yes I know current Marin is different than past Marin. Just saying, they have similarities, and maybe they aren't as far apart as you'd think.

I still think Beck finds his way into the rotation this year. Either him or Johnson.

I read the article. But how do the Sox cut him from A ball one day, and not only sign him after a short stint in Indy, but sign him back into AAA? Was it simply a case of signing him back to be an org guy? Is he an org guy or a legit prospect that they just only realized?

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
I read the article. But how do the Sox cut him from A ball one day, and not only sign him after a short stint in Indy, but sign him back into AAA? Was it simply a case of signing him back to be an org guy? Is he an org guy or a legit prospect that they just only realized?

Well, to be clear... he was cut from A+... went to indy ball where he resurrected his curveball and made some mechanical changes.. Sox re-signed him to A+ again as he'd improved... Perdew worked on a cutter with him and made further tweaks, so he was getting even better... was promoted to AA... played winter ball in Mexico... Was ready to be in AA or AAA to being 2015 but they didn't have a slot for him so they "loaned" him to the Mexican League (roughly AA to AAA equivalent), where he looked good... THEN he went to AAA.

He was an org guy. He made key improvements - added fastball velocity and movement, added a major league cutter, re-added his curveball - so now he's more than that. He may not turn out to be much, but he's a better pitcher than he was 2 years ago by a long shot.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 03:03 PM)
Well, to be clear... he was cut from A+... went to indy ball where he resurrected his curveball and made some mechanical changes.. Sox re-signed him to A+ again as he'd improved... Perdew worked on a cutter with him and made further tweaks, so he was getting even better... was promoted to AA... played winter ball in Mexico... Was ready to be in AA or AAA to being 2015 but they didn't have a slot for him so they "loaned" him to the Mexican League (roughly AA to AAA equivalent), where he looked good... THEN he went to AAA.

He was an org guy. He made key improvements - added fastball velocity and movement, added a major league cutter, re-added his curveball - so now he's more than that. He may not turn out to be much, but he's a better pitcher than he was 2 years ago by a long shot.

Thanks

I obviously missed some steps in there.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
9th inning HR for Kottaras. 1-0

On Davidson, I know he's not part of the future, but neither is Beckham or Gillaspie. Maybe in August and September they give him a look, and see what they have there. For a bad team, it isn't going to hurt anyone.

If the Sox thought they had anything in Davidson, he'd be here already.