Tiger calls for steroid testing

So, as one of the people who think that anyone who suggests that steroid use won't help a person because their sport isn't conducive to it's use, something I have heard about Golf before, it is absolutely excellent to hear the biggest name in golf call for steroid testing. I will guarantee you that there are people in that sport who are on the stuff, probably bigger names than you think. Why? Because there's no testing, and it's not going to hurt anyone's performance to use the stuff.

There is no drug-testing policy on the PGA Tour, and when Tiger Woods called for one this week at the Bridgestone Invitational, no one should have been surprised, according to Woods' agent, Mark Steinberg of IMG.

"There's a lot out there right now, with BALCO, the cycling and the sprinters, so what he's saying is, 'Start with golf, start with me. I'm clean and I think the sport's clean,' " Steinberg said Friday.

" 'If people are speculating about golf, let's get it over now.' "

Woods, who has a one-shot lead after 36 holes at Akron and is trying to win his fourth consecutive tournament, said in an interview after his first round Thursday that pro golfers should be tested for performance-enhancing drugs as soon as possible.

"I don't know when we could get that implemented," Woods said. "Tomorrow would be just fine with me."

PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem had said Wednesday that the tour closely monitored drug testing in other sports, such as how the testing is done, what substances are being studied and what happens to the collected information. But he said golf remained a game of honor, where players call penalties on themselves, then equated the behavior code of the game with how the PGA Tour should deal with illegal drugs.

The other reason this makes me happy? Honestly, I've wondered if Tiger might have used something before. I've just gotten so used to seeing the dominant people in each sport getting caught, when there's a sport where someone is far and away better than everyone else, it's just becoming an instint to suspect them. So to hear that same guy calling for testing is actually a real relief, in my eyes.

The thing is, what do you test for? There have been, for 20 years at least, pervasive rumors of massive use of Beta Blockers in golf. Beta Blockers woundn't be considered a performance-enhancing drug in any other sport (chess and poker, maybe), but in golf, they'd probably help a lot of guys around the greens.

Can you ban them? What about guys who are legimately on Beta Blackers for high BP? Having been on Beta Blockers myself for a short period of time, I wouldn't touch them for any reason. But that's another issue entirely.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 11:49 AM)
How can steriod, and HGH help you in golf?? You don't need to be massive to drive a ball 400 yards

They can help fast twich muscles.

Body builder exercises produce a higher volume of slow twitch muscle fiber, the antithesis of power production. Slow twitch fibers make a player slow, even though they may promote endurance. Hitting a golf ball/baseball requires accelerating a club/bat from a stand still to over 70 to 110 feet per second in a few milliseconds. Such a feat requires rapid force generation that can only be supplied by fast twitch muscle fibers.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
How can steriod, and HGH help you in golf?? You don't need to be massive to drive a ball 400 yards

No, but it helps. The equalizer in golf is around the greens. Distance doesn't win tournaments and that's all that matters in golf.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 08:34 AM)
Well, if the most prolific golfer of our time says that he wants to test for steroids in his game, then I'm inclined to believe there are abusers among the ranks of golfers.

I was inclined to believe that before he said anything.

There is almost no physical activity invented by man that man cannot design a drug to help out with.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:41 AM)
I was inclined to believe that before he said anything.

There is almost no physical activity invented by man that man cannot design a drug to help out with.

I would say if you compare all major sports on TV, golfers are by far in the worst shape out of all of them. Some of these guys are borderline obese. I dont know if I would suspect juicing in golf at all.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 12:16 PM)
I would say if you compare all major sports on TV, golfers are by far in the worst shape out of all of them. Some of these guys are borderline obese. I dont know if I would suspect juicing in golf at all.

Like I said, if the most prominent golfer of our day suspects steroid use in his sport, I'm going to believe there's a reason behind it.

Well Tiger is probalby the strongest guy on the tour, but I was talking to my buddy about this today and he's a scratch golfer whose been playing all his life.

He's not at all a strong guy and he said the only thing matters is your swing plane, flexibility and well having long arms/height would help as well (since you'd have a bigger arc which would help you generate more swing speed).

His avg drive is in the 260-270 range, which would put him a bit below the pro players but for cripe sakes he's a bit taller than me yet is probably 25 pounds less than me and weaker as well so I'd have some doubts as to how much strength would help (that said, he obviously has a far more efficient swing than me). He says roids wouldn't help, but than again he's not a doctor.

Still, I'm sure someone would try it cause you never know if it could help.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
Well Tiger is probalby the strongest guy on the tour, but I was talking to my buddy about this today and he's a scratch golfer whose been playing all his life.

He's not at all a strong guy and he said the only thing matters is your swing plane, flexibility and well having long arms/height would help as well (since you'd have a bigger arc which would help you generate more swing speed).

His avg drive is in the 260-270 range, which would put him a bit below the pro players but for cripe sakes he's a bit taller than me yet is probably 25 pounds less than me and weaker as well so I'd have some doubts as to how much strength would help (that said, he obviously has a far more efficient swing than me). He says roids wouldn't help, but than again he's not a doctor.

Still, I'm sure someone would try it cause you never know if it could help.

Jim, by his mouth, is an "overweight slob" compared to the pros but can with ease drive 300 yards.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
Nobody is going to say, "this sport is dirty." If he's calling for testing, then he's ::winkwink:: saying it.

It might not be sterioids as the performance enhancing drugs. John Daley came out ten years ago and talked about how half the tour was on beta blockers, and not all of these guys could have high blood pressure. Beter performance through chemistry.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
Nobody is going to say, "this sport is dirty." If he's calling for testing, then he's ::winkwink:: saying it.

Well, I actually got that he was saying the opposite. In fact his rep said that he was sure the sport was clean. I think you misunderstood the article.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
What exactly is a Beta Blocker?

They are commonly perscribed for high blood pressure, along with other drugs. Here are some of the side effects, easy enough to tell why a golfer would want them

How do beta-blockers work?

• Beta-blockers "block" the effects of adrenaline on your body's beta receptors. This slows the nerve impulses that travel through the heart. As a result, your heart does not have to work as hard because it needs less blood and oxygen.
That pounding in your chest when you have a three footer for par? Just a little less pounding. Those hands that are shaking as you try and ease a chips down a marble staircase? Just a little less shaking.