caulfield12
post Jun 19, 2017 -> 04:31 PM
Post #1

Bench Coach

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,243

Interesting article...

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1964760...seball-20-years

But as much as the game will try to become safer, the players will still be asked to play 162 games a year, not 154, not 140. That's because MLB always protects its statistics, but mostly it's because owners won't be willing to forfeit roughly $2 million to $3 million per home date. There will be no American League and National League, it will all be under one MLB. There will be no Oakland Athletics or Tampa Bay Rays. The game will not expand to Mexico or Japan or Las Vegas. Instead, it will contract from 30 to 28 teams. That will make scheduling easier and more equitable: All teams will play each other six times, 27 times six equals 162. The top 10 teams in the game will make the playoffs.

Like any $10 billion industry, it will all be about revenue. That's why, long before 2037, all that space on a player's uniform will be used for free marketing and advertising purposes, la NASCAR. Indeed, put AT&T on Kris Bryant's helmet and see how many phones you sell the next day. We're already there with special uniforms used on holidays, etc.; it will only be expanded to the point that players will become walking billboards. And all teams will have lucrative naming rights for ballparks, including Fenway and Wrigley.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sox-35th
post Jun 20, 2017 -> 07:10 AM
Post #2

Starter

Member No.: 8,665

Really interesting stuff. I agree with the dissolution of the leagues. If that were to happen, we're talking league-wide DH.

I would be interested in seeing the data regarding on-jersey advertising. I'm a soccer fan but I'm not convinced that I will go buy a jeep because Juventus wears Jeep on their uniforms.

+Quote Post
soxfan2014
post Jun 20, 2017 -> 07:35 AM
Post #3

MVP

Member No.: 9,338

I love the idea of playing every team every season. Gets boring seeing the Tigers, Indians, Twins and Royals all the time.

+Quote Post
ron883
post Jun 20, 2017 -> 11:21 AM
Post #4

Winston-Salem (High A)

Member No.: 8,909

https://vimeo.com/147674727

+Quote Post
ptatc
post Jun 20, 2017 -> 11:24 AM
Post #5

Hall of Famer

Member No.: 2,068

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 08:10 AM) *
Really interesting stuff. I agree with the dissolution of the leagues. If that were to happen, we're talking league-wide DH.

I would be interested in seeing the data regarding on-jersey advertising. I'm a soccer fan but I'm not convinced that I will go buy a jeep because Juventus wears Jeep on their uniforms.

Or eliminating the DH.

This all implies going back to the 1950 and 60's prior to division. Have the top X number of teams make the playoffs. What's new is old.

+Quote Post
aryzner
post Jun 20, 2017 -> 11:42 AM
Post #6

Great Falls (R)

Member No.: 9,474

The answer is obvious:

(IMG:https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9a/Base_Wars_cover.jpg)

+Quote Post
Harry Chappas
post Jun 20, 2017 -> 12:43 PM
Post #7

Minor League Instructor

Member No.: 386

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 12:24 PM) *
Or eliminating the DH.

This all implies going back to the 1950 and 60's prior to division. Have the top X number of teams make the playoffs. What's new is old.

They still had AL and NL and only one team made it from each league.

+Quote Post
ptatc
post Jun 20, 2017 -> 01:13 PM
Post #8

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 01:43 PM) *
They still had AL and NL and only one team made it from each league.

right they had two leagues but no divisions. The league played every other team in the league evenly instead of divisional play.

As far as only one team, that's why I added the X number of teams. Play would return to that format only more teams would make the "playoffs" and there would be the multiple rounds instead of just the World series.

+Quote Post
Sox-35th
post Jun 20, 2017 -> 01:15 PM
Post #9

Starter

Member No.: 8,665

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 08:35 AM) *
I love the idea of playing every team every season. Gets boring seeing the Tigers, Indians, Twins and Royals all the time.

This. The White Sox BY FAR have the worst travel schedule in terms of exciting destinations.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 12:24 PM) *
Or eliminating the DH.

Baseball will never eliminate the DH. The pitcher batting in the NL is a blemish in an otherwise universal adoption of the DH. Also, you are never, ever going to get the players union to agree to eliminating the DH as the long term DH's strengthen the union and the position extends careers.

+Quote Post
ptatc
post Jun 20, 2017 -> 01:33 PM
Post #10

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 02:15 PM) *
This. The White Sox BY FAR have the worst travel schedule in terms of exciting destinations.

Baseball will never eliminate the DH. The pitcher batting in the NL is a blemish in an otherwise universal adoption of the DH. Also, you are never, ever going to get the players union to agree to eliminating the DH as the long term DH's strengthen the union and the position extends careers.

This would be a bargaining point between the union and the league. If there was an increase in travel due to the elimination of the the division, the DH would be a bargaining point.

i don't ever see the league eliminating the divisions just for this reason. The travel would drive the players and the union nuts. There are enough complaints now. At least they eliminated the goofy two day series. working in the MLB was a blast except for the travel. that's the part that makes baseball such a physically and mentally draining sport.

+Quote Post
witesoxfan
post Jun 20, 2017 -> 01:57 PM
Post #11

Herb Washington

Group: Admin
Member No.: 48

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 02:33 PM) *
This would be a bargaining point between the union and the league. If there was an increase in travel due to the elimination of the the division, the DH would be a bargaining point.

i don't ever see the league eliminating the divisions just for this reason. The travel would drive the players and the union nuts. There are enough complaints now. At least they eliminated the goofy two day series. working in the MLB was a blast except for the travel. that's the part that makes baseball such a physically and mentally draining sport.

The two day series hasn't been completely eliminated, as the Sox have 2 of them this year, both against the Dodgers, but I hadn't realized how far they'd cut back on that. That is awesome. Two day series suck, especially when the second game gets rained out.

+Quote Post
caulfield12
post Jun 20, 2017 -> 02:48 PM
Post #12

Bench Coach

Member No.: 5,243

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 01:57 PM) *
The two day series hasn't been completely eliminated, as the Sox have 2 of them this year, both against the Dodgers, but I hadn't realized how far they'd cut back on that. That is awesome. Two day series suck, especially when the second game gets rained out.

And the Cubs, technically...

+Quote Post
witesoxfan
post Jun 21, 2017 -> 02:44 PM
Post #13

Herb Washington

Group: Admin
Member No.: 48

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 03:48 PM) *
And the Cubs, technically...

Yeah, but I didn't consider that because it's 2 series back to back in Chicago, so essentially just a 4 game home and away.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2017 - 11:28 AM