It's cold outside

Rowand44

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 5, 2014 -> 09:28 PM)
I'm going to work, but only because I'm a man with balls.

That, or you weren't given the option of working from home/can't work from home with your job. Because I think if you were, you would have taken it.

I completely understand not having people come in, especially if they have to walk for part of their commutes or wait for a bus/train and their job is something they can do from home.

I think the loop will be a ghost town tomorrow, relatively speaking.

I've driven in worse. Should get ~400 miles tomorrow as long as the fuel additives keep the diesel from freezing up. Same s***, different day. Wyoming initiated me weeks ago to misery that far exceeds what the Midwest is going to get. I've got 44,500 lbs in the box so I should have enough traction to keep at 50 mph through this crap.

Grow a pair, Chicago. Large swaths of this country endure much worse and do just fine.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 12:05 AM)
That, or you weren't given the option of working from home/can't work from home with your job. Because I think if you were, you would have taken it.

I completely understand not having people come in, especially if they have to walk for part of their commutes or wait for a bus/train and their job is something they can do from home.

I think the loop will be a ghost town tomorrow, relatively speaking.

I was kidding. That said, we were told we could stay home, but when you're management it's always a good idea to be there. I let my underlings work from home, though.

Just a trace of snow on the ground, current temperature is +1, current windchill is -12. Both kids' schools are closed and my work is closed.

People down here are soft. In college, I had classes when the temperature was -20. I don't even remember what the windchill was.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 02:50 AM)
I've driven in worse. Should get ~400 miles tomorrow as long as the fuel additives keep the diesel from freezing up. Same s***, different day. Wyoming initiated me weeks ago to misery that far exceeds what the Midwest is going to get. I've got 44,500 lbs in the box so I should have enough traction to keep at 50 mph through this crap.

Grow a pair, Chicago. Large swaths of this country endure much worse and do just fine.

This is idiotic.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)
This is idiotic.

Technically, "Alaska" does comprise a very large swath of this country and a big part of it routinely experiences weather like this. But no, the Northern Plains and Northern Rockies states don't routinely have wind chills of -50F.

Working from home today. Was supposed to drive up to Elgin to do some (indoors) field work, but that got cancelled so I texted my boss. I'll be just as productive if not more so working from home than being in the office today.

edit: I'll be stepping outside today just to see what this ridiculous level of cold actually feels like since I don't plan on trekking to the Arctic any time soon.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 08:21 AM)
edit: I'll be stepping outside today just to see what this ridiculous level of cold actually feels like since I don't plan on trekking to the Arctic any time soon.

I was outside for about 2 minutes and I didnt think it was all that bed. I wouldnt stay out longer than that. but, to start our cars it wasnt bad.

FYI, while this weather sucks, we usually get about 5-10 of these kinds of days a year, this cold and all. Frankly, I am surprised if we don't have a couple in the -30 degree air temp with -60 wind chill. Not that I like it, mind you.

Edited by witesoxfan