2018 Hall of Fame ballots out today.

southsider2k5

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird for me now being old enough to truly having watched and remembered most of these guys careers now eligible.

You start to get some of the fights that happened previously a little better.

Like first gut check, no way Rolen is a HOFer. Then I looked at numbers and it's like...hmmm

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 03:25 PM)
Weird for me now being old enough to truly having watched and remembered most of these guys careers now eligible.

You start to get some of the fights that happened previously a little better.

Like first gut check, no way Rolen is a HOFer. Then I looked at numbers and it's like...hmmm

Yeah, same reaction on Rolen.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 11:40 AM)
I’d only vote for 9.

Vladimir Guerrero

Roger Clemens

Barry Bonds

Mike Mussina

Curt Schilling

Manny Ramirez

Fred McGriff

Chipper Jones

Jim Thome

Hoffman is getting in this time too.

I'd go

Trevor Hoffman

Billy Wagner

Chipper Jones

Andruw Jones

Vladimir Guerrero

Barry Bonds

Larry Walker

Fred McGriff

Edgar Martinez

Jeff Kent

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 05:45 PM)
I'd go

Trevor Hoffman

Billy Wagner

Chipper Jones

Andruw Jones

Vladimir Guerrero

Barry Bonds

Larry Walker

Fred McGriff

Edgar Martinez

Jeff Kent

Wow, quite a difference. Six guys I think come up short.

Honestly, I think one day they’ll go “Big Hall”, which is fine by me.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 08:58 AM)
https://twitter.com/jposnanski/status/932973909665894400

Morgan is such an egotistical prick

The timing of this seems about five years too late.

I’m kind of in the middle on this- I forgive the players that started their careers from the mid 80s to late 90s for using stuff that wasn’t tested for and ignored by owners, media, and fans.

Post Mitchell Report and urine/blood testing, there should be zero tolerance. Any tangible proof of intent to cheat, you should be out of baseball, no different than the rules against betting.

And if there isn’t tangible proof of intent, one year suspended, voiding contract; second offense- gone.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 02:31 PM)
Surprised at the lack of the support for Walker in this thread, he was better than Guerrero. Also Rolen feels like the infielder equivalent to Beltran.

Walker get's some second thoughts cause of the Coors effect. Rolen definitely is the infield equiv of Beltran, but I think both should be HOFers.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
If they can put Selig in, anyone can go in.

I still think it's a travesty that Dick Allen isn't in the Hall of Fame...kind of a joke really.

So yeah...when some of these other people (especially Selig) gets put in...I'm pretty much "who cares".

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 06:11 PM)
Wow, quite a difference. Six guys I think come up short.

Honestly, I think one day they’ll go “Big Hall”, which is fine by me.

In this imaginary scenario, I was split on who to give my last spot, so I gave that last spot to Jeff Kent because he has a higher chance of falling off the ballot than Jim Thome. I would never vote for Manny Ramirez because of multiple failed test and I would never vote for Roger Clemens for how he ruined the life of Brian McNamee and that whole situation. Curt Schilling does belong in the hall but I would never vote for him unless he was in danger of falling off the ballot.

I think Andruw Jones should be in, he has a JAWS of 54.6 which is better than Richie Ashburn, Andre Dawson and Kirby Puckett who are all in the hall already. I am lucky enough to remember him during his heyday with Atlanta. My grandfather who's a die-hard Cubs fan would always watch the Braves on TBS with me and he's probably the best center fielder that I've seen in my lifetime. The guy won 10 consecutive Gold Gloves.

There have been three players in the history of the sport who have played at least 75% of their games in CF and hit at least 400 home runs: Willie Mays, Ken Griffey Jr. and Andruw Jones. There are 24 CFs in the HOF and Jones' resume compares well against the guys who are there. He should be in Cooperstown.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
If they can put Selig in, anyone can go in.

I always wonder about people who blame him. You do know that he instituted the drug testing in the minors and the players union fought him on putting it in the MLB. Granted he prioritized other thing things during CBA negotiations. The early 90's is when I was working in the MLB and the players were all over Selig about instituting the policy in the minors and fighting him in the MLB.

I would put the blame on the MLB union (the numbers benefited the players as much as the owners) as much as I would him and the owners.

Real talk--Hoffman, Guerrero, Chipper, and Thome are getting in.

Vizquel will get closer than a lot of people will believe. Edgar Martinez will get close, but fall short.

This might be the year Sosa fall offs. Damon will be one and done.

Next year Rivera, Halladay, Helton, Berkman, Oswalt, and Pettitte will join the ballot and we'll do this again.

Edited by flavum