White Sox prospects who just missed our upcoming T30

NorthSideSox72

It's Rankings Week for FutureSox, as we look to publish our shiny new 2018 Top 30 (FS30). The articles will go like this:

Today: The "Just Missed" players

Tuesday: Prospects 16-30 with capsules

Wednesday: FULL LIST

Thursday: Writer roundtable

Here is the "Just a Bit Outside" list with 15 players who didn't make it, but who our writers suggested and discussed for inclusion. All are worth keeping an eye on.

Who is your favorite fringe guy? Who will make a big jump this year more firmly onto the radar?

Interesting, some stronger players in that list than I thought.

One note: in McLure's write-up you have mentioned him with the 2016 draft and not 2017.

The Laz Rivera stuff is interesting, and that there is still so little on Sosa despite being in AZL (to me that means bad things for my own excitement).

I'm not sure I can picture the backend now. I expected Mendick, Yurchak and Sosa to make top 30 and I can't really picture who replaces them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 10:23 AM)
Just FYI, Kade McClure is listed as a 16 draftee, not 17.

It is pretty awesome to see at the granular level guys that used to be in the mid-list range, now coming in at outside of the list.

Off of this group, very excited to see what Sosa does this year.

Fixed. Thanks for the catch.

Looking at the BA100 had me concerned about the rebuild, but then when I read things like this I am encouraged again. The thing that looking at so many of the overall prospect lists makes me forget is that so many above average major league players weren't ranked super high, but were actually under the radar. Guys like Sosa, Rivera, Yurchak could all be guys that play a part in our rebuild, but they don't really get talked about. And then there are the pitchers like McClure where he could be a rotation guy and we got him in like the 5th round. I think the one big thing that is going to make our rebuild work is our ability to take under the radar pitchers and turn them into quality major leaguers. That will provide us with the talent pool to trade from and also the ability to not have to overspend for pitchers and instead use that money on position players.

I think I was the high man on Sosa. I had him in the back of the 20's. 17 years old and can likely remain at SS. In 180 PA, he slashed .270/.330/.358. Not great by any stretch but he went basically right to rookie ball. It has been said that he'll be on Baseball America's top 30

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 10:33 AM)
I think I was the high man on Sosa. I had him in the back of the 20's. 17 years old and can likely remain at SS. In 180 PA, he slashed .270/.330/.358. Not great by any stretch but he went basically right to rookie ball. It has been said that he'll be on Baseball America's top 30

Yeah I've been high on him just because his stats compared to our other recent 17 year olds in AZL. Also as a 17 year old a 7.5 BB rate and only a 13% k rate. Exciting stuff to build upon.

Good catch on McClure, thanks for pointing that out folks. And thanks Rob for fixing it.

I enjoy these Just Missed lists more than I probably should, but I've always had a soft spot for guys who don't get immediate and automatic attention based on pedigree. Trying to find who might pop up from the background noise is a fun challenge.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 10:13 AM)
Interesting, some stronger players in that list than I thought.

One note: in McLure's write-up you have mentioned him with the 2016 draft and not 2017.

The Laz Rivera stuff is interesting, and that there is still so little on Sosa despite being in AZL (to me that means bad things for my own excitement).

I'm not sure I can picture the backend now. I expected Mendick, Yurchak and Sosa to make top 30 and I can't really picture who replaces them.

I think players like AJ Puckett, Tito Polo, Luis Alexander Basabe, etc. end up near the back of our top 30. The system is much deeper with actual talent that it was even twelve months ago.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 12:45 PM)
I think players like AJ Puckett, Tito Polo, Luis Alexander Basabe, etc. end up near the back of our top 30. The system is much deeper with actual talent that it was even twelve months ago.

Those guys would have been around the top 10 a couple of years ago.