Angels trading for Justin Upton

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 01:49 PM)
Angels are probably praying he opts out.

Or not. They didn't give up much for him and outside of his first 2 months with the Tigers, he has been very good for them. It's all listed here: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/08/tige...ton-angels.html "Dating back to July 1 of last year, Upton has raked at a .273/.351/.551 pace with 51 homers in 831 plate appearances. That line includes an even more magnificent .282/.368/.578 slash over the past calendar year. Over his past 631 plate appearances, Upton has clubbed 41 home runs."

Having said that, they likely don't care one way or the other due to what they gave up. Also, they're done paying Hamilton $26 million after this season.

Edited by soxfan2014

I'm not sure how the Angels are even in the playoff race. Besides Trout and Simmons, their entire team is pretty bad. Upton might get them into the Wild Card game, but I don't see how they'll get the quality pitching to win in the playoffs.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 01:49 PM)
Angels are probably praying he opts out.

I think it's the opposite. Adding Upton to that lineup allows for the Angels to not only push for a WC this year but if Upton sticks around, that lineup is set for next year and allows the Angels to focus on pitching this winter. If I were Upton, I'd stick around to hit in that lineup.