Oprah For President

greg775

Well, after her great speech at the Golden Globes, Steadman said yes she is considering running for President. NBC in fact had to remove a Tweet basically endorsing her. It wasn't NBC news, just NBC.

So I guess we are in an era we will be nominating celebrities and they will be the favorites. I mean I like Oprah enough but good luck to Oprah on all the many issues you have to have knowledge of to be President. I realize Trump is probably the worst president ever and all that, but he has enough of a knowledge of the world and the economy and some other things that he doesn't completely embarass himself. I'm not suggesting Oprah has no knowledge of these things, she might, and if so could be the most brilliant President ever. But if she's just a nice, upstanding, beautiful, giving person with little knowledge of the world scene, she could get eaten alive in the debates.

Again no offense to Oprah, I do love her too, but is she amazing on the issues? I mean I know nothing about history or the world map. Some people like me I hate to say just don't care about those things. I would get embarrassed in such a forum quizzing me on world issues and leaders.

Oprah has made a fine living as an interviewer and entrepreneur and actor. Does she know issues and poliics? Perhaps our presidential elections of the future should consist of a lovable celebrity like Oprah or Hanks (who I presume would be strongest on social issues) paired with a lifelong politican like Gore who can "run the show" behind the scenes.

Please don't consider this thread frivolous (I know many on here get mad when folks like me start a new thread). I have heard many celebrities now begging Oprah to run and like I said, NBC tweeted its support. Also she already has a theme for the campaign. It was her saying the saying, "A New Day is On The Horizon."

I think NBC even said OUR president Oprah. If she is seriously considering running I just want to know a.) are you appalled at the new normal? Celebs running for high office. b.) do you think Oprah knows her stuff? c.) Is Oprah Winfrey going to win and be our next President? Think about all the things that have to happen for her to win the Democratic nomination over folks like Bernie. Maybe the ticket should be Oprah/Bernie.

So please let's discuss this.

I will start by saying I am guessing Oprah would beat Trump but I need some convincing she is fit to join the world of politics.

p.s. I did just read a story that suggested the Democrats have a lot of possible candidates and Oprah might actually get in the way of some up and coming political Democrat stars. This puts a weird thought in my head. If Trump doesn't want to run again (and why would he?) maybe the new normal in the Republican party is a celebrity. Have Oprah be the Republican candidate. Then in 8 years the Republicans can go for another celebrity like Billy Joel. Just rotation Republican presidents who are celebs.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/sou...ID=ansmsnnews11

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/...1089-story.html

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 12:04 AM)
I realize Trump is probably the worst president ever and all that, but he has enough of a knowledge of the world and the economy and some other things that he doesn't completely embarass himself.

And this is where I quit reading this post.

As an independent who votes for both sides of the aisle except for the incompetent child in office, I would rather not have another celebrity get elected to try and right the ship in 2020. I’d much rather have Gillibrand or Harris take on the current President than Oprah.

Edited by New Era on South Side

Oprah has made a lot out of her life, and obviously has some power. But I think we all would be better served if she put her power behind an actual candidate rather than continue reality TV in the White House. Besides, why would she need the headache, not only of campaigning, but of actually being POTUS if she won?

So wait just one second. Wait. Wait. Wait. I'm seriously asking this. Did I just read this?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 02:04 AM)
Does she know issues and poliics?

A guy who says in the same sentence that Donald Trump is well informed enough but then wonders whether or not a different celebrity is well informed enough? A guy who we begged to pay attention to policy last year who then harped on how he doesn't want to be PC?

I wonder why he might apply such a different standard to someone like Oprah Winfrey.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 12:52 PM)
And this is where I quit reading this post.

You should read the whole post. I said Trump is bad first of all. But you can't admit he knows ENOUGH about the world and politics to not completely embarass himself?? He knows enough to be in the game. I'm saying a lot of people (not sure of Oprah's proficiency in this area) have little knowledge of world leaders and the global geographical map even and they might get torn apart in debates. Why was my post wrong? Trump embarrasses himself A LOT but not to an extreme over simple world leaders/geography. Oprah may be the smartest woman alive in all areas. If so my bad.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 03:21 PM)
Dang if there was a prop bet for who would have started the Oprah for President thread I probably would have bet on caulfield and lost.

People have a "thing" about starting threads on a message board. Puzzles me. I fear starting threads.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 04:22 PM)
I should have quit when I saw the poster.

Gee thanks. It's in the news big time and I wanted a discussion. Instead ... wham!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 04:24 PM)
So wait just one second. Wait. Wait. Wait. I'm seriously asking this. Did I just read this?

A guy who says in the same sentence that Donald Trump is well informed enough but then wonders whether or not a different celebrity is well informed enough? A guy who we begged to pay attention to policy last year who then harped on how he doesn't want to be PC?

I wonder why he might apply such a different standard to someone like Oprah Winfrey.

OMG. This is why I can't win a debate. All of a sudden I'm anti Oprah?? I like her and said so in the post. Yes I wondered if Oprah can handle debate issues or not. Again, I'm not into the world scene and I'd get torched. Trump is OK enough that he can talk about world leaders, countries, issues, etc. My "wonderment" was if Oprah would be great on social issues and need a running mate like Gore to take care of the normal political stuff.

Thanks everybody for hating me some more.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 01:04 PM)
You should read the whole post. I said Trump is bad first of all. But you can't admit he knows ENOUGH about the world and politics to not completely embarass himself?? He knows enough to be in the game. I'm saying a lot of people (not sure of Oprah's background) have little knowledge of world leaders and the global geographical map even and they might get torn apart in debates. Why was my post wrong? Trump embarrasses himself A LOT but not to an extreme over simple world leaders/geography. Oprah may be the smartest woman alive in all areas. If so my bad.

People have a "thing" about starting threads on a message board. Puzzles me. I fear starting threads.

Gee thanks. It's in the news big time and I wanted a discussion. Instead ... wham!

OMG. This is why I can't win a debate. All of a sudden I'm anti Oprah?? I like her and said so in the post. Yes I wondered if Oprah can handle debate issues or not. Again, I'm not into the world scene and I'd get torched. Trump is OK enough that he can talk about world leaders, countries, issues, etc. My "wonderment" was if Oprah would be great on social issues and need a running mate like Gore to take care of the normal political stuff.

Thanks everybody for hating me some more.

Wait, what? Under what circumstances and accomplishments would someone consider Oprah the smartest woman alive???

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 07:06 PM)
Wait, what? Under what circumstances and accomplishments would someone consider Oprah the smartest woman alive???

Oprah is a great actor, a great interviewer/talk show host, seemingly a very nice person, made a ton of money for herself and charity. I merely "wondered" if she is into the world scene enough to tackle some of the political stuff besides social issues. I said I have no idea. She might be the smartest woman alive and know everything you need to know to kick ass in a debate on foreign affairs for instance. I know many people don't know s*** about world stage, like me, and would have no business even trying in a debate format.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 01:06 PM)

He wasn't making that statement meaning he actually believes it. He's saying he doesn't know. The next 4 words you didn't bold imply that.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 10:48 PM)
He wasn't making that statement meaning he actually believes it. He's saying he doesn't know.

Thanks soxfan. I wish peeps would read entire threads for comprehension. One poster was implying I had some reason for bashing Oprah and I'm not even bashing Oprah. I respect Oprah and like her for gosh sakes. If she ran against Trump and she did OK in the debates etc., I'd probably vote for her. I know I wouldn't vote for Donald. I didn't last time. I sat it out rather than waste my vote on Jesse V who had no chance as a write in.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 02:50 PM)
Thanks soxfan. I wish peeps would read entire threads for comprehension. One poster was implying I had some reason for bashing Oprah and I'm not even bashing Oprah. I respect Oprah and like her for gosh sakes. If she ran against Trump and she did OK in the debates etc., I'd probably vote for her. I know I wouldn't vote for Donald. I didn't last time. I sat it out rather than waste my vote on Jesse V who had no chance as a write in.

I'm pretty sure you've said numerous times that you voted for somebody but you did not want to reveal the name other than to say it was not trump, Hilary or The Body.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 01:16 AM)
I'm pretty sure you've said numerous times that you voted for somebody but you did not want to reveal the name other than to say it was not trump, Hilary or The Body.

Maybe I'm lying so I don't have to admit voting for Ozzie.

So far the celebrity candidates. ...

-- The Rock and Tom Hanks ticket. Saturday Night Live skit.

-- Oprah.

-- Trump.

Others who should run if we're doing the celebrity thing. ...

-- One of the Baldwins.

-- Meryl Streep

-- Rush Limbaugh

-- Jesse Ventura (wrestling)

-- Chris Wallace (seems like a smart guy)

-- Whoopi Goldberg

-- Meghan McCain

-- Jimmy Kimmel

-- Tony Robbins

-- Amy Schumer

-- Arnold Schwarzenegger

-- Al Franken (he can attack the allegations head on and if cleared continue to run)

This celebrity interest in politics and the country's fascination with having celebrities lead our land probably isn't going away in this day and age of Twitter, so bring 'em on.

Edited by greg775

Just read a juvenile article in USA Today begging for Oprah to run. If it is an Oprah-Trump battle is it time for all "real" politicians to give it up forever? I mean cmon, if we have an all Hollywood battle for president next time, we might as well switch to a King/Queen system of government.

How bout Biden folks?? A real candidate. I assume Trump is running, but if not, how bout some young up and coming Republican politico. There must be one somewhere who is not a clown.

The Oprah story was high school-ish in terms of how it was written. How beloved she is and how her being a billionaire doesn't matter cause as talk show host for 20 years she helped so many people.

I'll take Oprah over Trump but cmon, what has our political system come to? Could Biden or Bernie beat Oprah for the Democratic nomination or would they get buried? Probably buried.