Adrian Beltre

Benchwarmerjim

thought you should know

The Twins recently contacted Seattle to inquire about third baseman Adrian Beltre as they look for ways to boost their offense against lefthanded pitching, a club source said.

It's unclear how deep the discussions got, but the Twins decided to act on the internal discussions they had about the Mariners slugger.

Beltre, 29, is batting .259 with 16 homers and 46 RBI. He is regarded as an excellent defensive player, having won the Gold Glove at third last year, and could be rejuvenated by being in a pennant chase. He is being paid $12 million this season and again in 2009.

The Twins are 13-14 against lefthanded starters, with a slugging percentage of .380 and on base-plus-slugging percentage (OPS) of .695. Their numbers against righthanded starters -- .422 slugging and .768 OPS -- are noticeably better.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/25...?page=1&c=y

He would be a tremendous acquisition. His offensive numbers will increase leaving Seattle (I'd say you are talking about a .280, 30 HR, Gold Glove 3B). He's similar to Crede in the sense that he has a poor eye and in fact you could really compare the two pretty evenly throughout there career (aside from Beltre's contract season in LA, which was the greatest season any NL 3Bman has ever had).

I know If I were the Twins I'd go after Adrian and as a Sox fan I'd be bummed if you guys got him. In fact, I think Beltre will be one of the best acquisitions a team makes (assuming they need a 3Bman). The guy is incredibly talented. I want the Sox to get him cause he'd absolutely rake at the Cell and make us all forget about Crede.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 08:42 AM)
The Twins will not pay him, that's all I know. He's not a FA until the end of 2009. There's around $20 million the Twins will have to pay for him.

They'll pay him...if they'll pay Livan Hernandez and Sidney Ponson and Ramon Ortiz any amount of money, they'll pay a legitimate 3Bman money too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 08:49 PM)
They'll pay him...if they'll pay Livan Hernandez and Sidney Ponson and Ramon Ortiz any amount of money, they'll pay a legitimate 3Bman money too.

Livan isn't getting $13 million this year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 07:35 PM)
Livan isn't getting $13 million this year.

technically, it's $11-12 mill; secondly, he's not going to make $13 mill more this season, it'll be closer to $6 mill from this point forward; third, Seattle would pay some of that contract if it meant getting another decent prospect in return or Minnesota could simply eat it. They paid Rick Reed $15 mill between 02 and 03, so I don't see why they wouldn't pay Beltre either.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 05:17 AM)
third, Seattle would pay some of that contract if it meant getting another decent prospect in return or Minnesota could simply eat it.

That's the key point. Seattle would do fairly well in the deal if they threw in $9 million of the $18 million or so owed to Beltre (leaving the Twins with, effectively a 1 1/3 year, $9 million deal for Beltre) to get good prospects back in return. I could see the Mariners doing it for one of Buscher/Span and Bonser or one of the Twins end-of-the-rotation guys, all of whom are expendable if they acquire Beltre and Cuddyer and Liriano return.

If you don't think the Twins are going to give the Sox more than they can handle down the stretch, you are kidding yourself with BP's playoff odds.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 06:48 AM)
That's the key point. Seattle would do fairly well in the deal if they threw in $9 million of the $18 million or so owed to Beltre

Why would they do that? It's not like Beltre is way overpaid or that there is an over-abundance of Gold Glove-caliber third basemen with 25-40 HR power.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 03:14 PM)
Why would they do that? It's not like Beltre is way overpaid or that there is an over-abundance of Gold Glove-caliber third basemen with 25-40 HR power.

To save $9 million and rebuild the team with prospects and ML-ready players. He's making what, $13-$14 million per year for a .780 OPS? That's fairly well overpaid.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
To save $9 million and rebuild the team with prospects and ML-ready players. He's making what, $13-$14 million per year for a .780 OPS? That's fairly well overpaid.

Why would the Mariners want to eat half of Beltre's salary when the Twins will be willing to take on all of it when push comes to shove? They're desperate for a 3B and another power bat in the lineup. And even if Beltre had more than a reasonable $18 million remaining on his deal, MIN isn't exactly strapped financially with Santana and Hunter off the books.

Twins Out Of Running For Beltre

By Coley Ward [July 19 at 7:51pm CST]

La Velle E. Neal III of Twins Insider is reporting that the Twins are bowing out of the Adrian Beltre sweepstakes. The price for Beltre, rumored to be similar to what the Phillies gave up for Joe Blanton, was just too high. Neal says:

In the Twins’ case, it could mean one of their four young starters plus a couple prospects.

Beltre is scheduled to make $12 million next season and any team that trades for the third baseman would have to pay that.

Just how much is Beltre worth? USS Mariner tackled that question in depth last September. Their findings might surprise you.

Coley Ward writes for Umpbump.com and can be reached here.