24/7 Wall Street: Sox 5th largest declining fanbase in sports

Lip Man 1

Wall Street Journal had a story today on the "15 Pro Franchises Running Out Of Fans..."

The Sox came in 5th from the top (which in this case is the worst).

Here is what they had to say numbers-wise:

5. Chicago White Sox

> Sport: Baseball

> 10 year attendance decline: 24.1%

> Avg. home game attendance: 21,947

> Avg. capacity filled: 54.0%

The only baseball franchises ranked worse than the Sox were the Indians (4) and Phillies (2)

So you've got the Sox among the biggest decline in fan attendance over the last decade coupled with both Fan Graphs and ESPN.com stating they were the worst watched franchise in MLB ratings-wise.

This is a franchise in major trouble.

Mark

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
Wall Street Journal had a story today on the "15 Pro Franchises Running Out Of Fans..."

5. Chicago White Sox

The only baseball franchises ranked worse than the Sox were the Indians (4) and Phillies (2)

So you've got the Sox among the biggest decline in fan attendance over the last decade coupled with both Fan Graphs and ESPN.com stating they were the worst watched franchise in MLB ratings-wise.

Mark

OK. What is the estimated value of the franchise? I wish I could be in that much trouble.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)

5. Chicago White Sox

Mark

Yes, sadly it is.

Edited by Saufley

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 08:59 PM)

5. Chicago White Sox

Mark

this news is like someone pissing in my cheerios ....

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 04:04 PM)
But we don't have a fairweather fan base...

Same old angry and bitter commentary on the fan base...

Meanwhile, the article is focused on an eroding fan base, which should be alarming to the powers that-be over at 35th and Shields.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 03:14 PM)
Same old angry and bitter commentary on the fan base...

Meanwhile, the article is focused on an eroding fan base, which should be alarming to the powers that-be over at 35th and Shields.

People want to know why the White Sox aren't spending, this is it. This is the same thing I have been saying for years. People don't want to believe it, but there it is in black and white. People can rationalize it however they want, however the end result is the same. The White Sox don't get the amount of resources that other teams get because of it. If our fanbase was more loyal, I would imagine we would have signed another OF months ago. Instead we still are trying to go on the cheap to fit him into the budget as dictated by revenues.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 03:19 PM)
People want to know why the White Sox aren't spending, this is it. This is the same thing I have been saying for years. People don't want to believe it, but there it is in black and white. People can rationalize it however they want, however the end result is the same. The White Sox don't get the amount of resources that other teams get because of it. If our fanbase was more loyal, I would imagine we would have signed another OF months ago. Instead we still are trying to go on the cheap to fit him into the budget as dictated by revenues.

It also goes a really long way towards why the White Sox are scared of doing a true rebuild.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
10 years ago also was the peak attendance of the franchise. The thing is, they drew a lot more last year than any year before Reinsdorf owned the team.

I believe a Cespedes signing would help with the attendance and fan base but, wonder what affect in $$ and actual numbers?

Edited by Saufley

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 03:22 PM)
What percentage of revenue comes from attendance?

Outside of MLB money, it all ties together. Less fans equals less ballpark revenue, less parking revenue, less concessions revenue, less interest in advertising both in the ballpark and on television... the team also has the lowest TV ratings in the game for anyone that is widely available on TV. It is far more than just attendance.

I think another thing that has to spook them at least a little bit was the lack of attendees during the 2012 season when they were in first place a good deal of the way.

They have to think that making the playoffs is they only way they can increase attendance significantly, and that won't happen until the following season, and going by 2008, that might not work either.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
10 years ago also was the peak attendance of the franchise. The thing is, they drew a lot more last year than any year before Reinsdorf owned the team.

My thought exactly. The White Sox don't have real "lack of fan" problems. They have "Bad baseball" problems. They have a strong enough fanbase when they're good, but that's true for most teams.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 04:30 PM)
My thought exactly. The White Sox don't have real "lack of fan" problems. They have "Bad baseball" problems. They have a strong enough fanbase when they're good, but that's true for most teams.

I am a long-time but distant White Sox fan. As I have posted numerous times, I would bet the White Sox attendance problems are centered around business season ticket sales rather than baseball fan. I live part of the year in New England and many businesses have multiple season tickets for Patriots and Red Sox. The good thing is, most businesses just renew tickets regardless of the team success since they use the majority to give to employees or customers. Obviously the White Sox are in competition w the Cubs for businesses. I went to a major Chicago Bank on business in the early 200o's for a few days and they asked me if I wanted a ticket to a Cubs game while I was in town. It would be interesting to know how many White Sox season tics are corporate. I am not referring to corporate boxes but regular seats.