2018 Winter Olympics Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 01:36 PM)
Banned from their own Olympics. Damn.

The Olympics are in Korea. They are banned based on their state sponsored doping program that they had in place for the Sochi Olympics.

And good job by the IOC on this. It should have happened for the Rio games too but there is basically no doubt just about every Russian athlete is doping. While every country has individual athletes cheating, it is nothing like in Russia.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)
But the individual athletes can still compete?

It will be like what happened at the world championships this year for track and field. If athletes meet certain standards they can compete. They will get to be there under the following criteria: https://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-suspends-r...he-olympic-flag

I doubt you see many Russians meeting those standards in sports like cross country skiing, biathlon, etc. where cheating is the most adva

• 1 month later...

So it looks like a lot of Russia's top athletes will not be permitted to compete in the Olympics (good, they shouldn't be allowing Russia to compete at all). I would call their bluff, if they don't want to accept punishment for basically every medal they have won being tainted then don't let them compete at all going forward.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 06:54 PM)
Bump

Seems like one of the least hyped Olympics of recent memory, barely realized it has started

Time difference maybe? I never could get into Winter Olympics.

Always took place during school growing up. Gimme Summer Games.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 07:56 PM)
Time difference maybe? I never could get into Winter Olympics.

Always took place during school growing up. Gimme Summer Games.

I’ve always liked the Winter games more but I have little interest this time around. I like live sports and it seems like it’s too much of a hassle bc of the time difference. And bc the next two Olympics are in Asia, guess I won’t be caring much until 2024. Or until NHL players are playing.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 12:20 PM)
I’ve always liked the Winter games more but I have little interest this time around. I like live sports and it seems like it’s too much of a hassle bc of the time difference. And bc the next two Olympics are in Asia, guess I won’t be caring much until 2024. Or until NHL players are playing.

Chloe Kim’s a great story and that was live in prime time.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 10:36 AM)

So was the mens halfpipe qualifier. It will be hard for the actual final (tonight) to measure up to the performance those guys put on last night. It was spectacular. I hope White delivers again cause man he made that look easy last night.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 12:37 PM)
So was the mens halfpipe qualifier. It will be hard for the actual final (tonight) to measure up to the performance those guys put on last night. It was spectacular. I hope White delivers again cause man he made that look easy last night.

You could argue she made it look TOO easy...but there’s never been an a pre-anointed superstar with all the pressure of two nations deliver like that.

And, from the Chinese perspective, they took a huge stride forward with a silver medal in a sport they’ve been quickly embracing the past 10-15 years. That medal means thousands of young girls just set their sights on beating Chloe Kim in Beijing on home snow four years from now.

It’s great for the X Games too, to expand the world audience to all of Asia.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 01:36 PM)

Had to google who she is. I didn’t miss much.

Saw the live prime time tv schedule and it looks like the better events are coming up which is nice. Get the stuff going on now out of the way.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 01:20 PM)

All the stuff going on during prime time is live just FYI. The time difference makes it so the stuff happening in the morning there is happening live at night here. There is a lot of stuff in the middle of the night that is nearly impossible to follow live but they are actually going a good job getting us a lot of live content during normal hours.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 22, 2018 -> 04:20 AM)
Congrats to the USA woman hockey team for winning Gold. 1st gold in 20 years.

Until the other countries catch up, they should just let US/Canada women play a 5 or 7 game series for the gold. Those games are always epic, just as exciting as any men's hockey game.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 22, 2018 -> 08:19 AM)
Until the other countries catch up, they should just let US/Canada women play a 5 or 7 game series for the gold. Those games are always epic, just as exciting as any men's hockey game.

Probably more exciting than the men's tourney this year with no NHL players. Also that winner in the shootout by Lamoureux-Davidson was an absolutely insane move.

Too bad she wasn't playing for the men's team in their shootout. And speaking of the men's team, pretty clear they should have tried to get more college kids with talent on that team rather than journeyman playing overseas. The college kids they did have were by far their best players.