8/6 Games

flavum

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
Sanchez have an outside shot at a 2013 call up if he continues this pace and Beckham continues his?

I think in all likelihood Sanchez will be in the minors all of next year with possibility of a Sept. call up. If I had to guess he will start year in AA and if continues hitting at a good pace be a relative quick promotion to Charlotte.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)
Sanchez have an outside shot at a 2013 call up if he continues this pace and Beckham continues his?

It might be particularly beneficial to be patient with him to see if he can build something of an additional power stroke.

The only problem I have with Sanchez is.....what's his other tool? Looking at his numbers, he just seems like a 1 tool player, at least offensively. He's got no power, looks like average speed (at least average basestealing ability). So unless he is a plus defender with a good arm, I'm not going to get excited about him.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 12:10 PM)
The only problem I have with Sanchez is.....what's his other tool? Looking at his numbers, he just seems like a 1 tool player, at least offensively. He's got no power, looks like average speed (at least average basestealing ability). So unless he is a plus defender with a good arm, I'm not going to get excited about him.

That's one more offensive tool than Mr. Beckham is consistantly showing so far. Last night not withstanding.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
That's one more offensive tool than Mr. Beckham is consistantly showing so far. Last night not withstanding.

But that's not true, and that's the point. Beckham has plus defense.

I've heard good things about Sanchez' defense at 3B, but his marks at SS a while back I seem to remember weren't great. No idea at 2B.

Sanchez doesn't seem all that different than Escobar in terms of value to me. Escobar rates as the better defender and obviously Sanchez has a better hitting record coming up through the minors. Of course, the jury is still out on Escobar's value.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 03:14 PM)
Sanchez doesn't seem all that different than Escobar in terms of value to me. Escobar rates as the better defender and obviously Sanchez has a better hitting record coming up through the minors. Of course, the jury is still out on Escobar's value.

That seems like a very odd comparison to me. A guy who puts up an OPS in the .600's in the minors but plays good defense at an infield position seems a lot less valuable than a guy who hits .300 throughout the minors and plays average defense at an infield position. If they keep putting up those same numbers, the .300 hitter winds up starting for a few years, even if he's not an all star, while the guy with the low .600's OPS winds up being a utility guy.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)
Eh, he's a 2B. People usually only reference arm strength as a tool for outfielders.

But at the same time, that arm is a large part of what makes him a plus defender. He makes plays up the middle and on the DP turn with his arm, that pretty much no other 2Bs can make.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
That seems like a very odd comparison to me. A guy who puts up an OPS in the .600's in the minors but plays good defense at an infield position seems a lot less valuable than a guy who hits .300 throughout the minors and plays average defense at an infield position. If they keep putting up those same numbers, the .300 hitter winds up starting for a few years, even if he's not an all star, while the guy with the low .600's OPS winds up being a utility guy.

I don't see Sanchez hitting .300 in the Majors if he's just a slap hitter. I see him with an empty .280-.290 average, which may or may not reach a .700 OPS. I'm thinking Alexei without the power.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 04:29 PM)
But at the same time, that arm is a large part of what makes him a plus defender. He makes plays up the middle and on the DP turn with his arm, that pretty much no other 2Bs can make.

I'm not discounting it, I just view it as his defense as a whole, rather than distinguishing the two.

Sanchez just turned 20 years old and already is walking at a 53-per-162-game season clip. Whereas Escobar couldn't hit a lick, Sanchez is proving he can while also showing solid patience at the plate. The guy has a very bright future, most likely at second base where he can be an above-average offensive second baseman. He seems like a perfect leadoff or number two hitter.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 04:55 PM)
Sanchez just turned 20 years old and already is walking at a 53-per-162-game season clip. Whereas Escobar couldn't hit a lick, Sanchez is proving he can while also showing solid patience at the plate. The guy has a very bright future, most likely at second base where he can be an above-average offensive second baseman. He seems like a perfect leadoff or number two hitter.

I view Sanchez as the Sox version of Jose Altuve. They seem pretty similar in my opinion.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 05:34 PM)
I view Sanchez as the Sox version of Jose Altuve. They seem pretty similar in my opinion.

Except Carlos Sanchez has two career professional home runs. Altuve went for double digits in each of the last two years in the minors and will wind up somewhere in the 8-10 range this year in the Majors.

I'm just worried about stats translating for a guy with such little power in the minors.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 06:28 PM)
Except Carlos Sanchez has two career professional home runs. Altuve went for double digits in each of the last two years in the minors and will wind up somewhere in the 8-10 range this year in the Majors.

I'm just worried about stats translating for a guy with such little power in the minors.

I think it depends a lot on position. As a 2B, if he can hit for a high average and defend the position well, he's a possible upgrade for the Sox in a year or two. He also walks a lot (or did at High A anyway), which when added to the high average makes for a nice OBP guy.

Also, the power may still come, we'll have to see.

But I see him as more valuable than Escobar was at this stage. Would love to get a more recent read on his defense, especially at 2B.