Ventura to get extended

Dunt

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Friday, January 24, 2014

CHICAGO – The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms on a multiyear contract extension with manager Robin Ventura. Terms of the contract were not released by the club.

Ventura, 46, has gone 148-176 in two seasons with the White Sox after being hired as the 39th manager in franchise history on October 6, 2011. He was one of three finalists for American League Manager of the Year in 2012 after guiding the White Sox to an 85-77 record and second-place finish in the Central division.

“Jerry, Kenny, Robin and I have had many conversations about our objectives in both the short and long term,” said Rick Hahn, White Sox senior vice president/general manager. “We are in complete agreement with the direction and vision for this organization in 2014 and beyond. I have great confidence that Robin’s leadership and direction will help us reach our goals, and there was never really any question in our minds as to who we wanted in the White Sox dugout now and into the future.”

“We have been on the same page since day one, but I’m very happy to have this behind us so we can continue to keep our focus on the playing field,” said Ventura. “I’m excited about the direction of the club and the moves we have made this offseason, but there is still a lot of work to be done so I think we’re all ready to get to spring training and get started.”

Ventura spent 16 major-league seasons with the White Sox (1989-98), New York Mets (1999-2001), New York Yankees (2002-03) and Los Angeles Dodgers (2003-2004), hitting .267 (1,885-7,064) with 294 home runs and 1,182 RBI in 2,079 games.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 11:55 AM)
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Friday, January 24, 2014

CHICAGO – The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms on a multiyear contract extension with manager Robin Ventura. Terms of the contract were not released by the club.

Ventura, 46, has gone 148-176 in two seasons with the White Sox after being hired as the 39th manager in franchise history on October 6, 2011. He was one of three finalists for American League Manager of the Year in 2012 after guiding the White Sox to an 85-77 record and second-place finish in the Central division.

“Jerry, Kenny, Robin and I have had many conversations about our objectives in both the short and long term,” said Rick Hahn, White Sox senior vice president/general manager. “We are in complete agreement with the direction and vision for this organization in 2014 and beyond. I have great confidence that Robin’s leadership and direction will help us reach our goals, and there was never really any question in our minds as to who we wanted in the White Sox dugout now and into the future.”

“We have been on the same page since day one, but I’m very happy to have this behind us so we can continue to keep our focus on the playing field,” said Ventura. “I’m excited about the direction of the club and the moves we have made this offseason, but there is still a lot of work to be done so I think we’re all ready to get to spring training and get started.”

Ventura spent 16 major-league seasons with the White Sox (1989-98), New York Mets (1999-2001), New York Yankees (2002-03) and Los Angeles Dodgers (2003-2004), hitting .267 (1,885-7,064) with 294 home runs and 1,182 RBI in 2,079 games.

He didn't push for a lifetime contract so I really don't think he is committed to being the manager.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
Because we lost 99 games while fundamentally awful baseball while having a 120 million dollar payroll. Why would anyone think it's a good idea to extend him now?

I mostly just think the manager isn't super-important so I guess I feel very 'meh' about it.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 12:04 PM)
I mostly just think the manager isn't super-important so I guess I feel very 'meh' about it.

The manager is very important in managing the clubhouse and players egos/personalities. On the field not so much.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 12:04 PM)

It's getting to the point where managers are viewed almost as interchangeable as hitting coaches.

Former decent players that can string a sentence together for the media will go far.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
Ventura has not done enough to get a extension at this point. Why the hurry to get this done?

Probably something about stability for the new young core. Can't disagree, though.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
It's getting to the point where managers are viewed almost as interchangeable as hitting coaches.

Former decent players that can string a sentence together for the media will go far.

Doesn't hurt when your presence lights up a room, either