Quintana Polls

Con te Giolito

QUINTANA: WHAT HAPPENS?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK the Sox will do with Quintana this offseason?

• Traded to Pirates
    • Traded to Astros
    • Traded to Yankees
    • Traded to Braves
    • Traded to Rockies
    • Traded to Cubs
    • Traded to other team
    • Not traded
  2. 2. What do you WANT the Sox to do with Quintana this offseason?

• Traded to Pirates
    • Traded to Astros
    • Traded to Yankees
    • Traded to Braves
    • Traded to Rockies
    • Traded to Cubs
    • Traded to other team
    • Not traded

We plead with Donald Trump through Twitter to challenge him to use his "deal making" skills to extract the most value from another MLB owner who is one of his political enemies, lol?

I think that should be in green. But maybe not...?

For the sake of the fanbase and "rebuild" strategy, it would be nice to go into Sox Fest with EVERYONE on the same page, no Q questions overhanging the team (and it's going to be bad enough for roughly ten members of the 25 man roster to be facing those same reporters the first half of the season) and everyone behind the vision the team is outlining.

Without that Q trade (and with Frazier/Abreu/Cabrera/Robertson still around), there will continue to be some doubts about a full and complete commitment to tearing things up 100%.

Edited by caulfield12

I think Quintana ultimately ends up on the Astros and I'm ok with that. I think Martes & Tucker as headliners is arguably as good as we're going to do if Torres/Frazier & Meadows are off limits. The other plus is the Astros have an incredibly deep system filled with interesting pitching & positional prospects that aren't too far off. Given that neither Martes or Tucker is close in value to Moncada, I think you can get two more quality pieces from them. One guy that should be expendable and makes a ton of sense for us is Reed. He's a perfect buy low candidate IMO, especially for a rebuilding team. After that, there are plenty of options to round out a deal. Such a trade might not have that blue chipper at the top, but it would provide a nice mix of quantity and quality.

I think Quintana ultimately ends up on the Astros and I'm ok with that. I think Martes & Tucker as headliners is arguably as good as we're going to do if Torres/Frazier & Meadows are off limits. The other plus is the Astros have an incredibly deep system filled with interesting pitching & positional prospects that aren't too far off. Given that neither Martes or Tucker is close in value to Moncada, I think you can get two more quality pieces from them. One guy that should be expendable and makes a ton of sense for us is Reed. He's a perfect buy low candidate IMO, especially for a rebuilding team. After that, there are plenty of options to round out a deal. Such a trade might not have that blue chipper at the top, but it would provide a nice mix of quantity and quality.

Yea this is what I think will happen as well except instead of Martes it will be Perez. It just makes more sense for teams to deal from organizational depth than give up a true blue chipper for Q.

I'd rather get that kind of deal from Atlanta than Houston, but if Tucker and Perez are coming back as part of a 4 player deal from the Astros I'm fine with it.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 09:15 PM)
I think Braves/Astros as the destination (I choose braves). I wish it would be the cubs or rockies.

I put Astros as the likely destination. And I'm ok with that if it happens. Tucker > anything the Pirates have to offer unless they change their mind on Meadows, which I doubt.

Most appealing I went with the Braves, because it's the least likely to be a pitching heavy package coming back.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 09:20 PM)
Yea this is what I think will happen as well except instead of Martes it will be Perez. It just makes more sense for teams to deal from organizational depth than give up a true blue chipper for Q.

I'd rather get that kind of deal from Atlanta than Houston, but if Tucker and Perez are coming back as part of a 4 player deal from the Astros I'm fine with it.

Martes/tucker/reed/Perez would be a terrific package

I put Astros as the likely destination. And I'm ok with that if it happens. Tucker > anything the Pirates have to offer unless they change their mind on Meadows, which I doubt.

Most appealing I went with the Braves, because it's the least likely to be a pitching heavy package coming back.

And what pitching the Sox would get back from the Braves would almost certainly be left handed. A lefty and three position players is my ideal Q return.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 09:26 PM)
And what pitching the Sox would get back from the Braves would almost certainly be left handed. A lefty and three position players is my ideal Q return.

Braves seem to be lurking on the periphery, but I doubt they will end up dealing for Quintana.

Pirates or astros seem most likely, and if I had to bet I would say astros

I think the Pirates have a greater selection of prospects. I'd like to see if we could possibly include Reese McGuire in that haul. I still think that we are woefully short in catching depth. Outwith Collins, we really don't have many catching prospects at all.

QUOTE (glangon @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 05:36 AM)
I think the Pirates have a greater selection of prospects. I'd like to see if we could possibly include Reese McGuire in that haul. I still think that we are woefully short in catching depth. Outwith Collins, we really don't have many catching prospects at all.

McGuire is with Toronto now.

QUOTE (glangon @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 06:39 AM)
Damn.

Oh well.

I still think we should be looking at catching prospects to try and improve what we have in the minors

Definitely. Many here share that same view. With catchers I'm more concerned with good defense, game calling, arm strength and framing. I don't ask for too much offensively other be able to make good contact to move runners over or drive in a run from third base. Anything more than that is a bonus in my eyes.

Haven't seen the Jays connected to Q and I'm not counting on it but if they jumped into the mix they have interesting pieces to facilitate a trade. Urena, Reid-Foley, Alford, McGuire, Tellez and Guerrero Jr are pretty interesting prospects. They also have Pentecost who still has a good bat but doesn't look like he will stick at catcher due to two surgeries on his throwing shoulder. Pentecost would be an interesting fourth or fifth piece.

I'm hoping the Nats come around on Robertson with Severino as part of the return for the Sox.

If the Astros trade for Q I'm hoping Stubbs is part of the package.

Love all the people trying to push Collins out of C when they've never even seen the kid play. All reports have him making good progress and it hasn't even been a full year yet. Collins is the C of the future until he proves he can't do it at the MLB level. If his catching was as bad as people around here make it out to be he would have been moved already.

Anyway...I still find it hard to believe the Astros don't finally get the deal done. Been saying all along that it makes way too much sense for them. I'd rather see us get a haul from the Yankees though. Frazier, Mateo/Rutherford, Kaprielian/Sheffield is my preferred package. Sounded like Cashman is balking at that but who knows, could all just be posturing.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 07:51 AM)
Love all the people trying to push Collins out of C when they've never even seen the kid play. All reports have him making good progress and it hasn't even been a full year yet. Collins is the C of the future until he proves he can't do it at the MLB level. If his catching was as bad as people around here make it out to be he would have been moved already.

Anyway...I still find it hard to believe the Astros don't finally get the deal done. Been saying all along that it makes way too much sense for them. I'd rather see us get a haul from the Yankees though. Frazier, Mateo/Rutherford, Kaprielian/Sheffield is my preferred package. Sounded like Cashman is balking at that but who knows, could all just be posturing.

No one is trying to push him off. Doesn't hurt to have more options.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 07:51 AM)

Collins will get the entire season in the minors to show he can handle the position. His bat will be mlb ready fairly quickly, but they should take their time developing his glove through the minor leagues.

I expect him to rake in the minors this year, and if the defense progresses he should rocket up top 100 prospect lists

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 08:13 AM)
Collins will get the entire season in the minors to show he can handle the position. His bat will be mlb ready fairly quickly, but they should take their time developing his glove through the minor leagues.

I expect him to rake in the minors this year, and if the defense progresses he should rocket up top 100 prospect lists

Hell, probably 2 seasons to prove himself defensively. The team should be in no rush to get him here.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 08:51 AM)
Hell, probably 2 seasons to prove himself defensively. The team should be in no rush to get him here.

Agreed. Unless he fails miserably he will continue to be developed as a catcher.

If he can become passable defensively it would be huge for us