2016 Rio Olympics Thread

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)
Is it possible to make this a temporarily sub forum so we can have threads for each sport? There are just so many sports going on all at the same time I want to be able to find my swimming and volleyball chat easily.

You would probably just be chatting with yourself if we did that.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)
Is it possible to make this a temporarily sub forum so we can have threads for each sport? There are just so many sports going on all at the same time I want to be able to find my swimming and volleyball chat easily.

I'm not sure the sub forum is completely necessary but definitely feel free to make your own threads for the different sports, I'm sure you'll get some chatter.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
I'm not sure the sub forum is completely necessary but definitely feel free to make your own threads for the different sports, I'm sure you'll get some chatter.

And if the threads pick up, we'd be happy to turn it into a sub-forum.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 05:38 PM)
Prediction: media hysteria is out of control for the Olmypics (again) and the games end up a success with few hiccups.

I don't know if I would say Russia had only a few hiccups, but before the games start, all there is to talk about and cover is how the city prepared. Once the games start, it's really all anyone cares about.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 02:47 AM)
I don't know if I would say Russia had only a few hiccups, but before the games start, all there is to talk about and cover is how the city prepared. Once the games start, it's really all anyone cares about.

And if you think about it, who are the people reporting about the various problems (water leaking, rooms not ready, not enough food, etc. etc)? Reporters. Who have to live in it. So of course that's the first wave of stories. Not that it isn't deserved by any means, but Sochi was the same and after the opening ceremony we didn't hear a word about how they weren't prepared. Rio will be the same unless there's a major terrorist attack or criminal attack.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

I agree, plus Brazil is kind of an expert at pulling it together "enough" at the last minute just to make it competent enough that people don't mention it.

You have to wonder what the stories would have been about Chicago at the Columbian Exposition had Twitter been around. A serial killer on the loose and many buildings still under construction when it started.

Anyway - Go US. Beach Volleyball is going to be pretty awesome as that is a big deal in Brazil.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 10:05 AM)
I'm still annoyed that golf is an Olympic sport

Why's that? It's good for the game. Non-golf countries are now investing money into it, so new markets are being opened.

I think the format is dumb. And I think it's unfortunate that some of the big names won't be there. But that's what happened with tennis too and it's sorta turned a corner.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
Chicago is a beautiful city with lots of things to do and see and accomodations. Would have been great here.

Agreed. It would have been amazing. And it would have been great to get the infrastructure upgrades that now will never happen.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 11:23 AM)
Why's that? It's good for the game. Non-golf countries are now investing money into it, so new markets are being opened.

I think the format is dumb. And I think it's unfortunate that some of the big names won't be there. But that's what happened with tennis too and it's sorta turned a corner.

Golf is extremely boring.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 11:23 AM)

A team format may have helped a little. The pros just hate taking such a long travel to a course they have never played and never will play again for very little, in their minds, incentive. I don't know if that would change much in Tokyo either.