Why On Earth Did That Thread Get Closed?

Reddy

See title. It wasn't contentious, there was good discussion happening. No personal attacks.

Do mods serious get to decide what gets discussed now, even if it's not violating any rules of the board? That's pretty messed up.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 28, 2017 -> 06:21 PM)
See title. It wasn't contentious, there was good discussion happening. No personal attacks.

Do mods serious get to decide what gets discussed now, even if it's not violating any rules of the board? That's pretty messed up.

I knew it was doomed after I read Caulfield's title of the thread. It should be closed. People won't change their minds so it's just a battleground. Nobody is racist on here but it eventually was gonna turn into people getting accused of that I bet. IMO it might have lasted as a thread with a different title.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 28, 2017 -> 11:34 AM)
I knew it was doomed after I read Caulfield's title of the thread. It should be closed. People won't change their minds so it's just a battleground. Nobody is racist on here but it eventually was gonna turn into people getting accused of that I bet. IMO it might have lasted as a thread with a different title.

Therein lies the problem in the Filibuster.

Is there ANY topic that you've seen a willingness for people to change their minds?

Things are getting worse and worse by the day. How can discussions take place in a respectful manner when it's currently impossible to attain agreement on what amounts to the basic facts of any story?

I wrote that particular thread and the first post in a fashion that would deliberately provoke a reaction and hopefully some type of fruitful discussion...and partially because Rabbit and Reddy were talking "at each other" rather than with each other, which these days will typically lead to someone getting upset (the situation with a poster earlier this year felt their personal life/family was being dragged into the narrative by another relatively harmless post on the face of it) or even leave the board entirely.

It's unfortunate that civil discourse in America is no longer civil, for the most part. In the end, it was a bunch of mostly white males talking at each other, which only further reinforces my point, lol. In fact, what would have been interesting would be to read reactions of anyone not comprising that demographic, meaning an actual female or member of a minority group in society.

Edited by caulfield12

So, sounds like it was an accident when someone was on their phone.

I'm reopening the thread and closing this one.

If we closed threads based on their titles, a whole lot more would be closed.

It may have been a mistake. For some staff members, if surfing on mobile, it's REALLY easy to accidentally close a thread and not notice (if you tap the thread icon by accident, it closes.)