Numerous new prospect videos from Birmingham

NorthSideSox72

Will, one of our writers at FutureSox, caught three games live down in Birmingham (AA) this past weekend. He's already posted an interview article. Analysis articles coming soon. But meanwhile, he's posted really good videos of some key prospects he saw, including:

Tim Anderson (current #2 in the system)

Frankie Montas (#3)

Jacob May (#11)

Myles Jaye (#17)

Nick Delmonico (#29)

Danny Hayes

Peter Tago

Kyle Hansen

Raul Fernandez

Mark Blackmar

And remember, you can subscribe to the YT channel too, and get an email whenever new videos go up. These are exclusive content, and for many of these players, video is hard or impossible to come by anywhere else.

After watching some or all of them, what sticks out to you? Any surprises in seeing them in action?

I watched the Anderson and Montas videos. You guys did incredible with these. I know I mentioned it in another thread, but Anderson had a significant number of swings and misses (especially on breaking pitches in the dirt). As for Montas, he looks bigger than usual.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 06:58 PM)
I watched the Anderson and Montas videos. You guys did incredible with these. I know I mentioned it in another thread, but Anderson had a significant number of swings and misses (especially on breaking pitches in the dirt). As for Montas, he looks bigger than usual.

Montas probably needs to get in shape. He looks like Colon. Anderson. He takes a healthy cut and seems to use a big bat. He looks like a modern free swinger. Doesn't choke up at all with two strikes like all hitters today. Is he a power hitter?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 02:05 PM)
Montas probably needs to get in shape. He looks like Colon. Anderson. He takes a healthy cut and seems to use a big bat. He looks like a modern free swinger. Doesn't choke up at all with two strikes like all hitters today. Is he a power hitter?

Anderson has significant raw power, but it hasn't translated much in games yet. Tons of bat speed and strong hands, but the power doesn't play up to potential, yet.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 12:08 PM)
Anderson has significant raw power, but it hasn't translated much in games yet. Tons of bat speed and strong hands, but the power doesn't play up to potential, yet.

He has a pretty live bat. I think we'll see the power come.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 06:51 PM)
He has a pretty live bat. I think we'll see the power come.

I think the question w Anderson is his fielding progression at SS. At some point soon, the FO needs to decide what his future position is. We do not want another 2nd baseman. If he develops some power and SS does not work out at least 3B could be a fall back. The young players in the organization at 2B should be adequate.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 09:17 AM)
I think the question w Anderson is his fielding progression at SS. At some point soon, the FO needs to decide what his future position is. We do not want another 2nd baseman. If he develops some power and SS does not work out at least 3B could be a fall back. The young players in the organization at 2B should be adequate.

Interesting suggestion of Anderson at 3rd maybe like Josh Harrison is for the Pirates. Saladino should get some reps with the Sox at SS then . Everyone has been suggesting Saladino is a utility guy but if his glove plays at SS and Anderson's at 3rd base offensively that would work better.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 06:15 PM)
Interesting suggestion of Anderson at 3rd maybe like Josh Harrison is for the Pirates. Saladino should get some reps with the Sox at SS then . Everyone has been suggesting Saladino is a utility guy but if his glove plays at SS and Anderson's at 3rd base offensively that would work better.

Still too weak of an offense in my opinion if you have Saladino, Sanchez and Anderson at 2b-3b. To me, the ideal scenario is Anderson at SS, Sanchez at 2B, Saladino the utility player and Johnson traded. 3B will have to come from outside the org.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 10:24 AM)
Still too weak of an offense in my opinion if you have Saladino, Sanchez and Anderson at 2b-3b. To me, the ideal scenario is Anderson at SS, Sanchez at 2B, Saladino the utility player and Johnson traded. 3B will have to come from outside the org.

3rd baseman with power are pretty hard to come by these days. In the post steroid era I think we need to consider that a guy with raw power like Anderson should be given every opportunity to stick at whatever position he ends up best suited. Projecting offense now for that trio is extremely difficult. The Sox should be in "wait and see" mode right now. Give everyone another year to develop .

If Anderson ends up being gifted offensively and with his speed having a good 3rd baseman could be right around the corner (2017). The Sox would have a slick fielding SS/2nd base combo with Sally and Sanchez and all cost controlled for many years. Then you hold onto Montas, Fulmer ,Rodon , Eric Johnson and hope 2 or 3 of them are rotation worthy by 2017. Again all young and cost controlled. Let LaRoche retire or contract run out .Avi gets another year to see if he can be that 25 HR guy . All of a sudden 2017 is looking pretty good . Young, fast ,good gloves , young rotation and cheap.

Frankly if the Sox had taken that approach in the off season guys like LaRoche and Samardzija should have never been brought in and Shark should have been traded while he was cruising along. Last thing the Sox need is another " go for it" year in 2016. Danks and LaRoche contracts gone after next year so 2017 and beyond is where we all need to be looking. Eyes should be fixed now on OF's and catcher.

Wait and see is boring as hell but names that should be moved need to be veterans that have numbers and name value like Melky, Robertson , Alexei.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)

No, I said if Anderson showed some powerbut the glove was a problem, perhaps he could be a 3B candidate. If 2B and SS have no power, 3B has to.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 06:15 PM)
The Sox should be in "wait and see" mode right now. Give everyone another year to develop .

The Sox would have a slick fielding SS/2nd base combo with Sally and Sanchez and all cost controlled for many years.

Wait til next year doesn't cut it. Sally and Sanchez would be the league's weakest ss and second base combo offensively.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 10:04 AM)
Anderson has, by multiple reliable accounts, improved his defense substantially this year. I feel fairly confident now that he'll stick at short.

If nothing else, the error totals have come WAY down. Again, this is a kid who didn't play baseball until his Junior year of HS. He is very young in baseball terms, as well as real life.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 04:04 PM)
Anderson has, by multiple reliable accounts, improved his defense substantially this year. I feel fairly confident now that he'll stick at short.

I think he is a year or two away from making the team, but he certainly has a future with the Sox