2016 International Class progress

bmags

So because it's usually first to drop I've been following DSL. I've noticed almost all of the bigger names from our 2016 draft (Guerrero excluded) are performing pretty well. I thought I'd put this here since it's interesting. Does it mean we have a bunch of stars? No. Just thought I'd do the work so it's easier and because I often mix up who these players are. Assume all are 17 unless listed.

OFFENSE

THE ONES YOU KNOW

Let's get the big dogs out of the way. BTW like most of this class is OF so they haven't played too many games.

(OF) Luis Robert 20 yo- .285 / .500 / .463 - good job good effort we all know of him.

(OF)Josue Guerrero - .201 / .263 / .363 - 35% k rate, and 3 home runs. He has power, the .150 is h iso isn't bad. Not making contact yet however, and the scouting report aside from sox according to badler was long/loopy swing.

THE NEXT TIER

(OF)Luis Mieses - 428k - .265 / .307 / .318 no HRs, 3 3bs. Nice 17% k rate but only 9 walks.

(OF)Anderson Comas - 425k - .295 / .320 / .338 5 2bs. 18% k rate, again only 7 walks. here was some comas quotes:

Mostly a line drive hitter right now, Comas doesn’t have power yet like Mieses does right now, but that should come eventually once he fills out.
-BADLER

(SS/2b) Lenyn Sosa *IN AZL!!* - .265 / .325 /. 327 - Only a 13% k rate, and an 8% walk rate. 1 home run already. Really impressive for someone his age. Here was a sample:

Some scouts considered 17-year-old shortstop Lenyn Sosa, who signed with the White Sox for $325,000 on July 2, to be one of the better 2016 hitters out of Venezuela. -BADLER

The Surprises

© Kleydar Sanchez - 50k - .350 / .392 / .394 15% k rate, 4 walks total. Smaller guy at 5'10 that showcased as OF, but sox took a look at C and put him there. Badler said he had a good arm and was fluid behind plate.

(OF) Anthony Coronado - $150k - .282 / .379 /.472 4 HR and 19 2bs. Best power of the 17 year olds. Here was Badler at time

e’s a righthanded hitter with gap power now but the physical projection to hit 12-15 home runs down the road, though there is swing-and-miss in his game. - BADLER

The bad? 27% K rate (though he has power) and a 9% walk rate. But again, a better .iso than Robert.

THE PITCHERS

Caraballo - 350k - The good? 2.33 ERA The fun DSL stuff? 34k and 24 BB in 54 IP.

Herrerra - 50k - The good? 2.24 ERA with a more respectable 44k and 16 bb in 64 IP. 1.04 WHIP.

Pineda - 50k and is 19, not 17. The good? 3.83 ERA and only 13 walks in 56 IP. The not so good, only 37Ks at an older age.

All quotes courtesy of

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...EZ4YhwVgfrRD.99

Thanks for posting! Would love to see the same thing for the 2014 & 2015 classes as well.

Overall, pretty dissapointmented with Paddy's work to date. The only guys who have graduated to full season ball so far have dissapointed (Cruz, Rodriguez, Martinez, Solorzano) other than Tatis. I guess maybe that's not entirely Paddy's fault, as it could be player development related to some degree, but the results out of LatAm have generally been pretty poor IMO.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 06:49 PM)
Well Adolfo too who has turned it around some.

We definitely need one of these guys to hit. Was really hoping for a better year out of Nunez, really could use some MI prospects

Whoops, good call on Adolfo. He's at least a top 20 org guy. No one else is really close. And I agree on Nunez, was really hoping he'd force his way to full season ball next season. That still might happen, but this season won't help matters.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 06:06 PM)
Thanks for posting! Would love to see the same thing for the 2014 & 2015 classes as well.

Overall, pretty dissapointmented with Paddy's work to date. The only guys who have graduated to full season ball so far have dissapointed (Cruz, Rodriguez, Martinez, Solorzano) other than Tatis. I guess maybe that's not entirely Paddy's fault, as it could be player development related to some degree, but the results out of LatAm have generally been pretty poor IMO.

So one of the reasons I did this is usually DSL seems awful when I look at it for the signings.

Here's a flavor of last year for the 2015 guys

Tatis :( dnp had he we may have never traded him

Franklin Reyes in AZL

.171 / .189 / .251

Santo Vazquez

.233 / .300 /.305

Vazquez is a SS and has actually shown good power this year with 5 HRs but less contact.

.247 / .351 / .411 (so rare I find over .400 slugging with these dudes)

Dude has a 27% k rate though. But he could be interesting next year.

Brayant Nova was alright, and had stats similar to Comas/Mieses above

.279 / .380 / .344

And he is doing fine again in DSL his second year: .276 / .366 / .373 and he has a good k and bb rate.

Those were the 4 I know about.

The 2014 guys are Nunez, etc

Why it's exciting to see Sosa have good contact/k rate, because we are used to seeing Reyes/Nunez numbers in AZL, which were like this:

.145 / .207 / .158

So maybe they dont progress, but I like the low k rates so far, it allows them to sell out for more power next year as they mature while not going into a danger zone territory.

And that's all I have to say about 17 year old kids (JK I spent way too much time on this please comment and make a megathread)

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 09:46 AM)
So one of the reasons I did this is usually DSL seems awful when I look at it for the signings.

Here's a flavor of last year for the 2015 guys

Tatis :( dnp had he we may have never traded him

Franklin Reyes in AZL

.171 / .189 / .251

Santo Vazquez

.233 / .300 /.305

Vazquez is a SS and has actually shown good power this year with 5 HRs but less contact.

.247 / .351 / .411 (so rare I find over .400 slugging with these dudes)

Dude has a 27% k rate though. But he could be interesting next year.

Brayant Nova was alright, and had stats similar to Comas/Mieses above

.279 / .380 / .344

And he is doing fine again in DSL his second year: .276 / .366 / .373 and he has a good k and bb rate.

Those were the 4 I know about.

The 2014 guys are Nunez, etc

Why it's exciting to see Sosa have good contact/k rate, because we are used to seeing Reyes/Nunez numbers in AZL, which were like this:

.145 / .207 / .158

So maybe they dont progress, but I like the low k rates so far, it allows them to sell out for more power next year as they mature while not going into a danger zone territory.

And that's all I have to say about 17 year old kids (JK I spent way too much time on this please comment and make a megathread)

Thanks for doing the updates. The really nice thing is that the guys from the 2015 class have had better years this year. Franklin Reyes has added 200 OPS points while moving up to Great Falls. His numbers aren't great, but they are a huge step up from last year. Harvin Mendoza is also still in the DSL out of that class and he has moved his OPS up to near .800. He actually has almost as many walks as K's with a pretty good K rate. His power numbers are also coming up.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 06:06 PM)

Not necessarily "full season" yet, but Jhoandro Alfaro hasn't done much yet.

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 07:13 PM)
Not necessarily "full season" yet, but Jhoandro Alfaro hasn't done much yet.

And that's another reason that I'm a bit more encouraged by these comfortable starts here, or at least "holding their own" starts.

Alfaro had a .436 OPS in his age 17 season.

These guys may fall off next year. But nice to have shown capability already.

• 2 weeks later...

End of DSL Season Update:

Hitters: (see bios in first post)

Top tier signees

Luis Robert: .310/.491/.536/1.027 slashline with 20% k rate

Joseu Guerrero: .222/.290/.348/.638 with a 24% k rate and 8% walk rate

Next Tier

Luis Mieses: .263/.302/.320 16% K rate and 4% walk rate

Anderson Comas: .291/.316/.329 with an 18% k rate and 3% walk rate.

Wild Cards

Kleydar Sanchez: .343/.383/.381 with a 15% k rate and a wee bit 3% walk rate.

Anthony Coronado: .262/.353/.428 My DUDE. The only one beside Robert with a real slash line. Comes with your caveats of a scary 27% k rate but honest to god power with 19 doubles and 4 home runs and a real walk rate.

He was promoted to AZL and in 2 games is 4/8 with a 2b and 2 ks.

Lenyn Sosa was already in AZL. He hasn't stopped being pretty damn good for being a 17 year old.

Slashline: .275/.333/.349 with only a 13% k rate. 4 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run.

Pitchers

Caraballo: 10 more IP since last time we talked. 64 IP 38 ks and 29 walks.

Herrara: Basically the same since last time. 3 more IP with 2 more ks and 2 more walks. Finished with a 2.62 ERA and 1.08 WHIP. Most legit control of these guys.

Pineda: 46 ks in 64 IP, with 18 BB and a 1.22 WHIP. Also hit a lot of batters.

Yordan Rosario was a 2015 guy? but in his second year he's much improved. At 18 years old he has 64ks in 71 innings to 26 walks. A 1.14 WHIP and 2.26 ERA.

SUMMARY:

Real guys to watch in Sosa, Coronado and would like more info on Kleydar. Of pitchers, Caraballo at 17 is only interesting one to me.

BUT, the theme we saw in the 2017 Amateur draft of guys who make contact being prioritized - I'm happy with the contact we are seeing out of this group prior to their power developing. See first post with examples, but compared to 1st years of big signees such as Reyes and Nunez, this is promising.

THis winter, would love if we could get some info on if the org sees any of these guys as promising.

I know it rings hollow, but when it comes to the trade of the International player who shall not be named, what my biggest hope has become is that he is the tip of the iceberg internationally for the White Sox. When you are bringing in 14/15/16 year olds to evaluate I know the bust rate is going to be much higher, but seeing more success happening at the lower levels of the minors hopefully means that the system is starting to see results from Latin America. If we start adding that to an already burgeoning system, that would be huge for having guys flow through the system in the later stages of this rebuild.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 10:47 AM)
I know it rings hollow, but when it comes to the trade of the International player who shall not be named, what my biggest hope has become is that he is the tip of the iceberg internationally for the White Sox. When you are bringing in 14/15/16 year olds to evaluate I know the bust rate is going to be much higher, but seeing more success happening at the lower levels of the minors hopefully means that the system is starting to see results from Latin America. If we start adding that to an already burgeoning system, that would be huge for having guys flow through the system in the later stages of this rebuild.

I agree. He's a major, major, major gut punch.

I've been really down on Paddy because I would have thought we'd start seeing more return, but this 2016 class looks like a good year and it seems like one he was given more resources for + the beginning of the DR facility paying dividends.

If he's right on Robert, that's a big win.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 10:57 AM)
I agree. He's a major, major, major gut punch.

I've been really down on Paddy because I would have thought we'd start seeing more return, but this 2016 class looks like a good year and it seems like one he was given more resources for + the beginning of the DR facility paying dividends.

If he's right on Robert, that's a big win.

Even above that we are starting to see results from the previous classes. Micker Adolfo had a great year. A guy like Luis Martinez is pushing through the system. Carlos Perez improved a lot as the season went on. These guys are filling up the rosters in Arizona and Great Falls.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)
Even above that we are starting to see results from the previous classes. Micker Adolfo had a great year. A guy like Luis Martinez is pushing through the system. Carlos Perez improved a lot as the season went on. These guys are filling up the rosters in Arizona and Great Falls.

I'll be honest, we really need to see several more of these guys hit full season ball before I get excited.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 11:04 AM)
I'll be honest, we really need to see several more of these guys hit full season ball before I get excited.

It's happening as we speak. There might be some slowing because of the crazy influx of players to this system, but the big step is getting them to push out of the DSL and have some amount of success in Arizona. We are seeing that. The thing to keep in mind is that these kids are incredibly raw, and the learning curve is going to be much steeper for many. It might seem like slow motion, but there are signs of life down there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)

The best way to sum it up is these kids are coming along VERY slowly. The last DSL graduates are Andre Rienzo and Carlos Sanchez, but we still got long ways to go to ripe the fruits of the current LatAM crop. (Don't think we need to mention the Widler scandal here.)

The good

Adolfo finally stayed healthy and shown developing power, but still got ways to go to become a top tier prospect. For comparison sake, his contemporary Jimenez is already one of the best hitting prospects and should knock on the door of big league debut next year.

Luis Martinez was signed back in 2012, but have spent the past 3 years in Low A. Turning 23 in January, he was slaughtered in his High A debut before getting sent back to low A for rest of the season. Decent number in Low A, I think next year is a make or break year for him.

I am as big a Carlos Perez fan as any, but he hasn't received consistent playing time to evaluate his development. His splits are very even throughout the 3 months of GF season. Jose Colina in his third season has actually played well when he got a chance to play, but still has another year to go before he hits full season ball.

Other guys I'm keeping an eye on - Maiker Feliz seems to have good hit tool, but again, did not receive consistent playing time, which baffles me. Beltre finally broke through the DSL wall, but he does not seem to project to be more than a utility player. Felix Mercedes for the second year in a row played well in Rookie ball, but has sidelined since mid-July. I hope they would push him to A ball next season.

The bad

Amando Nunez and Jhoandro Alfaro maintained a decent walk rate, but have regressed in every other area. Franklin Reyes has gotten a few more hits, but posted a ugly BB/K ratio for the second year in a row. Solorzano was disastrous in his first full season of A ball, Johan Cruz, my 2017 breakout pick, has also regressed significantly. Ricky Mota has failed to stay healthy for the second year in a row. Antonio Rodriguez is on the verge of being done with baseball, while Hanleth Otano, Luis Castillo and Victor Done are actually done with baseball.

Pretty funny how Paddy's a step up from the previous schmuck...A strong International influx is important, especially in today's game

Robert was a huge get for CWS as was Adolfo (underachieving) but they need to hit on smaller signings (whiffed on just about everyone else from Martinez to Cruz to Mota to Rodriguez)

Sox top 5 INTL signings under Paddy have been Robert, Adolfo (who I notice was ranked ahead of Devers and Torres), Tatis Jr. (Sickening), Nunez (whiff), and Alfaro (likely whiff)

Fun Fact: The top 8 prospects in baseball were International signings (Moncada, Rosario, Torres, Devers, Robles, Vlad, Jimenez, Acuna)

Of those 8, yes, 6, signed for big money but Robles signed for just 200K and Acuna for 100K (#52 prospect RHP Sixto Sanchez signed for just $35K(!!!!)

Hopefully Robert finds himself that high this time next year

Edited by ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 11:56 PM)
Pretty funny how Paddy's a step up from the previous schmuck...A strong International influx is important, especially in today's game

Robert was a huge get for CWS as was Adolfo (underachieving) but they need to hit on smaller signings (whiffed on just about everyone else from Martinez to Cruz to Mota to Rodriguez)

Sox top 5 INTL signings under Paddy have been Robert, Adolfo (who I notice was ranked ahead of Devers and Torres), Tatis Jr. (Sickening), Nunez (whiff), and Alfaro (likely whiff)

Fun Fact: The top 8 prospects in baseball were International signings (Moncada, Rosario, Torres, Devers, Robles, Vlad, Jimenez, Acuna)

Of those 8, yes, 6, signed for big money but Robles signed for just 200K and Acuna for 100K (#52 prospect RHP Sixto Sanchez signed for just $35K(!!!!)

Hopefully Robert finds himself that high this time next year

Reyes and Guerrero were right there with Nunez and Alfaro in signing bonus.