Mexican Restaurants in Chicago...

shipps

So I wanted to book a reservation for Frontera or Topolabamba for the weekend of December 5th but they are completely booked. Its my wife's birthday weekend and she loves good Mexican food more than anything. I wanna go somewhere a little less casual than usual.

There are a ton of foodies on ST and I know you guys can hook me up on this one!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, the benefit of those places is they offer a nice sit down atmosphere. Is that important to you? Or do you just want to get some great dishes and it can be more casual and scattered.

Edit: clearly missed your last line. Thinking.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 11:21 AM)
Hmm, the benefit of those places is they offer a nice sit down atmosphere. Is that important to you? Or do you just want to get some great dishes and it can be more casual and scattered.

Edit: clearly missed your last line. Thinking.

I have now altered my plan and my do a surprise dinner with some of our friends. So it can be casual so that we can get a group reservation in.

Sorry for my late edit.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 11:42 AM)
Shipps, you may just want to try out Xoco in wicker park. I've had much more success there.

Also

http://www.cantina-1910.com/menu/

opened in andersonville.

I've also been a fan of d'noche (cafe con leche) in logan square but its better for brunch.

I tried Xoco but they were booked to. That damn Bayless must put out some good food, jeez.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)
Their menu looks pretty tasty.

Chef Paco opened another location around Superior and Rush. He was there the first time we went. He is famous for his many moles. He gave us the rundown with about 100 OMGs. It's really good. Another good one is Salpicon in Old Town. Wells and Goethe. It's really good, the problem is the guy running the restaurant I think is the husband of the chef, and he can be a bit cranky.

Frontera/Topolo is my favorite restaurant. I'm sitting on over $1000 in gift cards from there. Everyone knows I love it, and they always give me gift cards, but these 2 aren't a huge step down at all. I have been to both multiple times.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 12:01 PM)
Good call. I've had a mixed bag there but I'd still recommend for neighborhood/food.

I actually just got off the phone with them before I checked back here. LOL

They guy is willing to reserve for a group. So I am leaning towards this being the spot. The only thing is he said that we will have a limited menu (I am assuming the catering menu).

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 11:57 AM)
I tried Xoco but they were booked to. That damn Bayless must put out some good food, jeez.

XOCO does not take reservations but is completely different setup and layout than Fronto and Topolo, chances are you won't wait more than 30 minutes to eat. There is one right next to Frontera and Topolobampo. That is probably my most frequented restaurant in the city. The Ahogada in winter time is amazing. Great Margaratas, beer list, hot chocolate and amazing desserts (namely the churros). If you want a Bayless place, XOCO is simple and casual and awesome. Don't skip chips and Guac either

If you want true down and dirty Mexican, Pilsen is your best bet. Nuevo Leon is the staple but there are some other local ones just as good if not better IMO. Sabor y Sazon and Carnitas Urupuan (if going during the day, the Carnitas are RIDICULOUS) are my two stops. A couple other hidden gems are Mary's tacqueria or Martinez Supermarket in Bridgeport (both are super casual Mexican in the back of a grocery store.) There are also a couple of churro spots you can stop by in Pilsen

How many are in your group?

Edited by Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
XOCO does not take reservations but is completely different setup and layout than Fronto and Topolo, chances are you won't wait more than 30 minutes to eat. There is one right next to Frontera and Topolobampo. That is probably my most frequented restaurant in the city. The Ahogada in winter time is amazing. Great Margaratas, beer list, hot chocolate and amazing desserts (namely the churros). If you want a Bayless place, XOCO is simple and casual and awesome. Don't skip chips and Guac either

If you want true down and dirty Mexican, Pilsen is your best bet. Nuevo Leon is the staple but there are some other local ones just as good if not better IMO. Sabor y Sazon and Carnitas Urupuan (if going during the day, the Carnitas are RIDICULOUS) are my two stops. A couple other hidden gems are Mary's tacqueria or Martinez Supermarket in Bridgeport (both are super casual Mexican in the back of a grocery store.) There are also a couple of churro spots you can stop by in Pilsen

How many are in your group?

I must be confusing Xoco when I tried booking for Frontera.

I have heard about Martinez in Bridgeport, its right by my parents house. I have yet to try them but I have to hit them up from some tacos. My brother claims they are best he has had.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 01:30 PM)
I must be confusing Xoco when I tried booking for Frontera.

I have heard about Martinez in Bridgeport, its right by my parents house. I have yet to try them but I have to hit them up from some tacos. My brother claims they are best he has had.

Martinez has a great Torta...the bread is great. I love their Pastor, they do carnitas on the weekend. Hidden gem for sure.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 11:20 AM)
New Rebozo Oak Park. OH MY GOD!!!

You stole my place!

I've been going there since I was still in high school, on a weekly basis at times. You will rarely go wrong with the special, especially since he may still have chiles en nogada. I haven't been to the downtown location yet, but the menu looks a little fancier (more steak/seafood than OP).

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
This thread has given us a list of about 15 new mexican food places we have to make a point to go to.

You know how you get stuck going to the places you know are good and are familiar with?

Cemitas Puebla in West Loop also great. Although much more expensive (of course) than their old spot on North Ave

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 11:20 AM)
New Rebozo Oak Park. OH MY GOD!!!

And Maya Del Sol. both excellent

My favorite mexican places in chicago are Tapatllo on the north side http://www.cafeeltapatio.com/ And Perez on randolph st http://www.yelp.com/biz/perez-restaurant-chicago

Edited by RockRaines