AAP: Yolmer (Carlos) Sanchez

daggins

• 3 weeks later...

Still a very good OPS for a 19 year old middle infielder in a league that's always been more known for pitching than hitting.

The problem is that Sanchez and Saladino don't really have 3-4-5 tools...solid players, but not projected to be impact players. Well, hopefully he can continue that high walk rate and continue to improve defensively.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 1, 2012 -> 07:38 PM)
Still a very good OPS for a 19 year old middle infielder in a league that's always been more known for pitching than hitting.

The problem is that Sanchez and Saladino don't really have 3-4-5 tools...solid players, but not projected to be impact players. Well, hopefully he can continue that high walk rate and continue to improve defensively.

I don't know about Sanchez, but That doesn't sound like Saladino to me. Saladinos scouting report is that he's ok to good on all the tools but not five star great on anything (although he still obviously could get there).

I'm sure Sanchez has a lot more upside than say Escobar, Kuhn or Andy Garcia, the question is HOW MUCH more he can improve and how much (if any) power he can develop?

Of course, that's true of 95% of middle infield prospects, that are usually all field/no hit types in the Jack Wilson mold.

• 1 month later...

Jon Sickles' blurb on Sanchez.

**Keep an eye on Chicago White Sox prospect Carlos Sanchez. A switch-hitter from Venezuela, Sanchez doesn't turn 20 until this weekend but is having a fine season in High-A, hitting .324/.380/.402 for Winston-Salem in the Carolina League. He's not a power hitter, but he makes contact and has improved his plate discipline, and is quite young for the level. He is an excellent defender at second base and not bad at shortstop. Sanchez is under the radar but that won't be true for much longer if he continues to make progress.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Final line .323/.378/.403 with 91K and 41BB in 523 PA, including time at AA and AAA. Not bad, buddy. Mr. Sanchez will likely move into a lot of people's top ten prospects list, as well he should after posting such a performance at age 19/20.

We will continue to track Yolmer's progress as he takes on the AFL in Oct.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow, he moved pretty quickly. Just reading this page I see a June 26th post where he was in High-A and he fininshed the year off in AAA...Pretty impressive for a 20 year old. Is he gonna be in AAA to begin next year or was he just up for the playoffs??

He looks like he can be an ideal 2 hole hitter If beckham fails.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 12:57 PM)
Oh wow, he moved pretty quickly. Just reading this page I see a June 26th post where he was in High-A and he fininshed the year off in AAA...Pretty impressive for a 20 year old. Is he gonna be in AAA to begin next year or was he just up for the playoffs??

He looks like he can be an ideal 2 hole hitter If beckham fails.

I tend to think that the Sox will be conservative with their best assets but that is mostly based on my own personal wishes and not in any way on reality.

I'm sure it depends on how well he does in the AFL and whether he gets traded before the start of the season.

Edited by daggins

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 07:02 PM)
I tend to think that the Sox will be conservative with their best assets but that is mostly based on my own personal wishes and not in any way on reality.

I'm sure it depends on how well he does in the AFL and whether he gets traded before the start of the season.

I doubt we trade him unless it is for an infielder. He is a relatively close and valuable player given his position. We have two potential positions of need on the MLB roster with no players ahead of him in the system and he plays both of those positions. Unless the FO is thoroughly convinced that he can't be good, then I don't see us trading him.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

From Jason Parks: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=19444

3. Carlos Sanchez

Position: IF

DOB: 06/29/1992

Height/Weight: 5’11’’ 175 lbs.

Bats/Throws: S/R

Drafted/Acquired: International free agent, 2009, Venezuela

2012 Stats: .323/.378/.403 at High-A Winston-Salem (92 games), Double-A Birmingham (30 games), Triple-A Charlotte (11 games)

The Tools: 6 potential hit; 7 glove

What Happened in 2012: It seems like half of the White Sox system took the High-A/Double-A/Triple-A ride in 2012, and Sanchez was no different, showing his mature hit tool at each stop along the way.

Strengths: Natural bat-to-ball relationship; hands work very well at the plate; can direct the ball to all fields and will work with tough pitches; shows bat speed; can barrel; glove is best tool; several sources put a 7 on it; clean actions.

Weaknesses: Well below-average power; hit tool might play empty at highest level; better defensive profile at second base; arm only average on left side; bat pushed him quickly.

Overall Future Potential: 5; major-league regular

Explanation of Risk: Moderate risk; already achieved Triple-A level; hit tools/glove will play at highest level.

Fantasy Future: Lacks a first-division profile at second base, but has excellent contact ability, so should hit for average ~.275; shows some approach and speed on base; won’t hit for power.

The Year Ahead: Sanchez’s bat is setting the pace, as the hit tool shows legit promise despite not packing a big power punch. With a plan at the plate, contact ability, and some speed, Sanchez has the tools to produce in the upper minors. If the bat continues to grow, the profile at second looks like a solid-average regular, with a very good glove and enough stick to hit down the lineup. Its not a sexy a profile, but he’s a big-league contributor at some point in his future.

• 1 month later...

Carlos Sanchez got a very aggressive ranking (#64) on Marc Hulet's 2013 top 100 list over at Fangraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/f...00-prospects-2/

64. Carlos Sanchez, 2B, Chicago (AL): Probably the second most shocking ranking on list, I’m going against the field here with Sanchez — whom I doubt made any other Top 100 lists. The second baseman impresses me with his baseball skills, as well as the way he carries himself on the field. I think he gets a bit of a raw deal because he’s in the White Sox underrated system and because he doesn’t have loud tools. I truly think he’ll exceed expectations when given the opportunity.

• 1 month later...

Update - Yolmer is struggling with his aggressive assignment.

The good news is that he is maintaining his excellent batters eye and keeping K's low.

The bad news is that he isn't hitting the ball hard enough for it to matter. The dropoff in power is expected but he will need to start making better contact or face demotion.

I haven't read any takes on his defense so far but it never seemed to be in question so i'm sure its acceptable.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

There is something about Sanchez that I really like. He seems like he can be a very good defensive second baseman; and offensively, his hitting stroke from both sides of the plate just "looks" natural. Sometimes, a prospect can put up good stats, but there is something about their stroke that makes one say they are not a natural hitter. With Sanchez, his stroke seems natural, and one can imagine him living up to his hitting potential. Because of that, one can imagine him being a "championship" caliber starting second baseman. Again, I am just commenting on one intangible quality and otherwise taking a hopeful yet wait and see attitude.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 08:11 AM)
Getting playing time, but struggling with the bat.

114 G 371 PA 37 R 84 H 23 2B 1 3B 5 HR 31 RBI 16 BB 78 K 2 SB 2 CS .226 BA .267 OBP .334 SLG .601 OPS

Struggling with the bat, but much improved since he was called up.

.184 average in his first 52 games, .260 in his last 62.