Lopez/Giolito/Kopech/Moncada/Fulmer sent down

southsider2k5

Scott Merkin‏Verified account @scottmerkin 8m8 minutes ago White Sox optioned RHP Chris Beck, RHP Tyler Danish, OF Willy Garcia, RHP Brad Goldberg and LHP Giovanni Soto to Triple-A Charlotte....

White Sox optioned C Alfredo Gonzalez to Double-A Birmingham. Reassigned LHP Aaron Bummer and RHP Blake Smith to Minor League camp.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 01:09 PM)
Scott Merkin‏Verified account @scottmerkin 8m8 minutes ago White Sox optioned RHP Chris Beck, RHP Tyler Danish, OF Willy Garcia, RHP Brad Goldberg and LHP Giovanni Soto to Triple-A Charlotte....

White Sox optioned C Alfredo Gonzalez to Double-A Birmingham. Reassigned LHP Aaron Bummer and RHP Blake Smith to Minor League camp.

Bummer.

Only mild surprise to me is Soto, who I thought had a shot at the last bullpen slot. Looks like now it's either Ynoa or Luebke.

Chris Beck sure has fallen off the radar. Crumbles when facing MLB hitters, though in his defense he is also coming off an injury and lots of missed time.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 03:27 PM)
Only mild surprise to me is Soto, who I thought had a shot at the last bullpen slot. Looks like now it's either Ynoa or Luebke.

Chris Beck sure has fallen off the radar. Crumbles when facing MLB hitters, though in his defense he is also coming off an injury and lots of missed time.

Beck seemed like a candidate for the pen as much as he was up last year. He didn't even make it past the first cut. To me that is a pretty big surprise with all of the other guys that could have been sent out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 03:31 PM)
Beck seemed like a candidate for the pen as much as he was up last year. He didn't even make it past the first cut. To me that is a pretty big surprise with all of the other guys that could have been sent out.

Well even though he was cut (second cuts by the way), it doesn't mean he still can't appear in games for the MLB team this spring.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 03:14 PM)
Dan Hayes @CSNHayes

now

Roster moves coming today. Looks like Michael Kopech and Yoan Moncada are headed to minor league side, among others. #WhiteSox

The one player that is interesting to see if he is changing minds is Lopez. Could he win a job?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 03:14 PM)
The one player that is interesting to see if he is changing minds is Lopez. Could he win a job?

I think he goes down only because of extra year of service time come June he is in rotation for good.

Edited by Soxfest

No chance they call up Lopez until late May/early June

It would be a big mistake to start his service clock before we have to

Fulmer, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada optioned to Charlotte, Kopech to minor league camp

Chicago White Sox‏Verified account @whitesox 47s47 seconds ago

More

With the moves, the White Sox have 41 players remaining in major-league camp: 19 pitchers, four catchers, 11 infielders & seven outfielders.

Edited by Sleepy Harold

Doubt it. They'll want the extra year with a full rotation already. He has more service time than Giolito, so he may actually spend a little more time in Charlotte.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 03:52 PM)
Doubt it. They'll want the extra year with a full rotation already. He has more service time than Giolito, so he may actually spend a little more time in Charlotte.

Giolitto hasn't forced the issue though. Lopez has looked major league ready.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 09:35 PM)
Charlotte is going to be a really fun team to watch this year, at least for the first half.

With the young talent acquired and that developing in our system I think the future bodes well for the Sox. How long has it been since we could say that?

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 04:59 PM)
whitesoxdave‏ @barstoolWSD 38m38 minutes ago Hearing Kopech most likely starting in Winston Salem FWIW

interesting. I think he'll quickly prove too good for high A hitters, although maybe they want him to be working on his off speed stuff in an environment where he'll have more immediate success.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 05:00 PM)
Yoan and Lopez really showed out this spring. I'm excited to see them in early summer.

According to beat writers, he showed a commitment to a routine and approach despite the bad start. That's a very encouraging sign, usually when players struggle they start to tinker and end up making things worse. The fact he did that bodes well for his development going forward

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 05:16 PM)
According to beat writers, he showed a commitment to a routine and approach despite the bad start. That's a very encouraging sign, usually when players struggle they start to tinker and end up making things worse. The fact he did that bodes well for his development going forward

I really like the fact he didn't start out hot, he ended hot. He got better as camp went on, and there were less and less stiffs he was playing against.