Hawk reducing games in 2017 - offers to step away from PBP after 2017

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article doesn't say Ken is stepping down. It says that he is "cutting back".

In 2018 I would like to see Hawk call a partial schedule of home games instead of all road games. Even though he lives near South Bend, Indiana, I would think the logistics are easier for Hawk to travel to Guaranteed Rate Field. And if he works 2 consecutive home games, he should get an apartment in the city. Spending a night closer to the park, beats making a round trip to Grainger, Indiana and back.

QUOTE (InTheDriversSeat @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)
The article doesn't say Ken is stepping down. It says that he is "cutting back".

In 2018 I would like to see Hawk call a partial schedule of home games instead of all road games. Even though he lives near South Bend, Indiana, I would think the logistics are easier for Hawk to travel to Guaranteed Rate Field. And if he works 2 consecutive home games, he should get an apartment in the city. Spending a night closer to the park, beats making a round trip to Grainger, Indiana and back.

“I didn’t say I wanted to broadcast four more years,’’ Harrelson told the Sun-Times. “The main thing is I just want to be in baseball four more years, not necessarily broadcasting.”

Harrelson said he will do Sox broadcasts this season, “and if I decide to do some games next year … it’s up to them.’’

Harrelson, who agreed to a multiyear extension before the 2016 season, could serve the Sox into 2020 as an ambassador or similar capacity, perhaps making occasional appearances in the booth.

By 2020, “it will definitely be enough,’’ he said. “Even if it’s for one day.’’

It's all vague, but why come out with all of this now if it doesn't have any legs?

Something changed. He seemed really happy with the situation at the end of last season. So either it is a health issue with himself or maybe his wife or someone, I am thinking maybe his eyesight, or something hit him. Maybe he realizes the team is going to suck and it won't be pretty for a few years. Whatever it is,I wish him well.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 06:50 PM)
Something changed. He seemed really happy with the situation at the end of last season. So either it is a health issue with himself or maybe his wife or someone, I am thinking maybe his eyesight, or something hit him. Maybe he realizes the team is going to suck and it won't be pretty for a few years. Whatever it is,I wish him well.

+1

We'll have to get ready for the bland, professional with stories about numbers.

Hawk is not stupid. He realizes this is going to be a train wreck of a team for at least the next 2 seasons. It's not any fun being a announcer for a team thats going to lose 100 games a year for the next couple of seasons.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 08:33 PM)
Hawk is not stupid. He realizes this is going to be a train wreck of a team for at least the next 2 seasons. It's not any fun being a announcer for a team thats going to lose 100 games a year for the next couple of seasons.

If they lose 100 games in 2018 they will have have 2 awful trades with Sale and Eaton.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 06:50 PM)

yeah....thought that too. A few times he got giddy on a little pop up...or a ball got crushed and he had no clue where it was a few times. I've always liked Hawk...he's an icon. He needs to do what's best for him bottom line. Definitely won't be the same not having him around. I'm not going to pile on JB either...but I really get bored listening to him tho.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 07:36 PM)
If they lose 100 games in 2018 they will have have 2 awful trades with Sale and Eaton.

Minus Quintana, Robertson. Cabrera and Frazier the team will easily lose over 100 games in 2018.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 08:42 PM)
Minus Quintana, Robertson. Cabrera and Frazier the team will easily lose over 100 games in 2018.

Most of the players for which they traded should be up by then. 100 loses will mean the new players are bad, thus the trades will be awful deals.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 02:33 AM)

He's not meant to broadcast games for a team that is going nowhere. There will be so many meaningless games the next 5-10 seasons. His heart can't be in it, especially doing only road games. The Sox might not even have a winning road trip period in the next 5 seasons. He'll be Mr. Grouch broadcasting meaningless ballgames IMO.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 10:39 PM)
He's not meant to broadcast games for a team that is going nowhere. There will be so many meaningless games the next 5-10 seasons. His heart can't be in it, especially doing only road games. The Sox might not even have a winning road trip period in the next 5 seasons. He'll be Mr. Grouch broadcasting meaningless ballgames IMO.

Well, there's no hyperbole here!...coming from a frequent purveyor back when everyone used to care about all 162 Sox games during a given season.

(Fwiw, 2018 better at least be entertaining...and a competitive, close to .500ish team.)

Edited by caulfield12