2014 Draft Report Card from Baseball America

NorthSideSox72

BA did their annual team-specific draft report cards. The White Sox one is here, though it is behind the paywall. I do recommend subscribing, there is a video here and lots of other good stuff.

Two interesting surprises though, for me anyway...

INF Jake Peter (7th) mentioned twice...

BEST PURE HITTER: 2B Jake Peter (7) earns the “pro hitter” cliche because it’s true. He works counts, spoils pitchers’ pitches and makes hard contact consistent because he has a plan at the plate.

BEST PRO DEBUT: Peter so dominated Rookie-level Great Falls (1.023 OPS) that he jumped to high Class A Winston-Salem; he hit .332/.385/.477 overall with just 26 strikeouts in 241 at-bats.

RHP David Trexler (17th) also twice...

BEST FASTBALL: LHP Carlos Rodon (1)... RHP David Trexler (17) bumped up his velocity after signing, sitting 92-96 mph while throwing consistent strikes.

BEST LATE-ROUND PICK: Trexler’s development is exciting; he showed above-average changeups and curveballs before and after the draft to go with an average-to-plus fastball, making him a future rotation-mate of Rodon’s very possible

I had heard a few rumblings, but that is a pretty big endorsement for Trexler.

Trexler gets another mention here, on Kiley McDaniel's prospect chat:

12:40

When is the White Sox prospect piece due to go up? Any teasers?

12:41

Kiley McDaniel: Phillies, Reds and White Sox research is all basically done, but I'm in the middle of a 17-day trip with games everyday, so it'll be a little hit and miss to promise what days they'll go up. Tyler Danish and Spencer Adams are both favorites and David Trexler is the super sleeper.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kiley-mcdan...ts-chat-102414/

I'll be honest, I must not have heard the name David Trexler since the draft day because I have no idea who he even is. I watched almost the entire draft, so I must have looked him up at some point, but it's nice to see a guy pretty much come out of no where in my mind and be talked about so highly. Feels like we just traded for him.

I had heard very little on Trexler before these reports myself. Peter got some pub this season with his gaudy PIO numbers and double-promotion.

We did discussed Trexler in this article here on FutureSox, near the bottom. He led all qualifying ChiSox prospects in GB:FB ratio, showed nice peripherals (9.7 K/9, 2.6 BB/9) across both rookie affiliates. Honestly, since I had no scouting data on this kid, I saw a 23 year old 17th round pick in rookie ball and didn't give it a lot of thought. If he turns into something, that's fantastic.

He did sign for 100k, which is a wee bit high for a 17th rounder, so maybe there's a hint there that the Sox knew something.

Also, at draft time, various sources had him listed as either William Trexler or David Trexler.

I think the whole Great Fall team was overlooked this year. Outside of Peter's debut and the few starts by Luis Martinez, I don't think anyone paid much attention to GF.

Trexler is already 24 years old, so next year is make or break for him. Hopefully he pitches well and ends up in BHam by year end.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 04:21 PM)
I think the whole Great Fall team was overlooked this year. Outside of Peter's debut and the few starts by Luis Martinez, I don't think anyone paid much attention to GF.

Trexler is already 24 years old, so next year is make or break for him. Hopefully he pitches well and ends up in BHam by year end.

First on the bolded... no. He was just drafted in 2014, this was his age 23 season. You don't write off a guy with the tools he apparently has at age 24, whether he's in A, A+ or AA. That would be ridiculous. Yes he's old for level, but that just means you challenge him level-wise a little more next year, maybe split time A and A+. Then the next year at 25 can be AA & AAA, for example, which is fine.

Second on Great Falls, remember that the team generally sends the older, college-grad guys up there (though not always), and also that it is a hitter-friendly league. So hitters can put up some big numbers, but that doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot. You'll know a lot more about those guys when they hit A ball.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)
First on the bolded... no. He was just drafted in 2014, this was his age 23 season. You don't write off a guy with the tools he apparently has at age 24, whether he's in A, A+ or AA. That would be ridiculous. Yes he's old for level, but that just means you challenge him level-wise a little more next year, maybe split time A and A+. Then the next year at 25 can be AA & AAA, for example, which is fine.

If he struggles in A ball at 24 and has to repeat the same levels at 25, how much chance do you give him to make it to the big league. If he performs reasonably, fine. But if he struggles with an 4.50+ ERA, his chances are basically slim to none. That's basically what I mean.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)
Second on Great Falls, remember that the team generally sends the older, college-grad guys up there (though not always), and also that it is a hitter-friendly league. So hitters can put up some big numbers, but that doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot. You'll know a lot more about those guys when they hit A ball.

That's what I am saying. Usually folks doesn't follow that team compared to Bristol, or this year's AZL Sox, because guys are generally older. But in years past, we have exciting guys who performed well in their first Great Fall go around and created a buzz, guys like Kevan Smith and Michael Blanke. But we didn't have that guy this year. The Fishers did alright, but I believe they are repeating that level.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 10:51 PM)
First on the bolded... no. He was just drafted in 2014, this was his age 23 season. You don't write off a

guy with the tools he apparently has at age 24, whether he's in A, A+ or AA. That would be ridiculous.

Yes he's old for level, but that just means you challenge him level-wise a little more next year, maybe

split time A and A+. Then the next year at 25 can be AA & AAA, for example, which is fine.

Second on Great Falls, remember that the team generally sends the older, college-grad guys up there

(though not always), and also that it is a hitter-friendly league. So hitters can put up some big numbers, but that doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot. You'll know a lot more about those guys when they hit A ball.

I would like to think that Trexler still has a chance. maybe it the rooting for the underdog

thing in me. look at Carroll and his age.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=m...tching/2014/ALL

the team stat

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...bp&cid=1997

Edited by LDF

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone have a site of how the players selected by org

compared to any mock draft??

I was trying to compose a list until I realize the site I was using was getting

100% right until I looked and realize it was the draft tracker.

sbnation.