Should Rondon Continue Switch Hitting?

Lillian

In looking at Rondon's splits, it appears that he may not be suitable as a switch hitter.

His performance at Winston Salem, albeit in a limited sample size, was pretty good batting from his natural, right side: .303/.352/576. However, from the left side, he was totally inept, in a larger sample size: .220/.297/.242.

He managed just 3 extra base hits, in 132 at bats.

Does anyone have any split stats for him, while he was with Kannapolis? If he is really that much better of a hitter, from the right side, maybe he should consider giving up switch hitting. Of course, he is still very young, and may improve. However, he could also be wasting his development time as a strictly RH hitter.

I wonder how the other guys on the team did vs. RH pitching. I'm going to see if it was partially due to facing a lot of really tough RH pitchers.

The kid is such a good defensive SS, that it wouldn't take much improvement at the plate to make him a top prospect.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 08:51 AM)
Not sure if you are aware, but he hadn't even started switch-hitting until during he 2013 season. Give it time.

That is interesting. Wow, he just started to switch hit!!!

I did check his split stats at Kannapolis, and while they were still better from the right side, they weren't as dramatically different. If he has been able to make as much progress as he has, just learning to hit from the left side, that is very encouraging. This guy must be a pretty gifted athlete. The scouts rave about his defense.

Has anyone seen him play? How is his arm?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 07:58 AM)
That is interesting. Wow, he just started to switch hit!!!

I did check his split stats at Kannapolis, and while they were still better from the right side, they weren't as dramatically different. If he has been able to make as much progress as he has, just learning to hit from the left side, that is very encouraging. This guy must be a pretty gifted athlete. The scouts rave about his defense.

Has anyone seen him play? How is his arm?

He's as good of a defensive SS as you'll find in the minors. There are some clips on youtube and countless articles from prospect guys. Keith Law raved about him and said if he hits above the Mendoza Line he'll have a big league career. Nathaniel Stoltz from fangraphs is also a huge fan.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
He's as good of a defensive SS as you'll find in the minors. There are some clips on youtube and countless articles from prospect guys. Keith Law raved about him and said if he hits above the Mendoza Line he'll have a big league career. Nathaniel Stoltz from fangraphs is also a huge fan.

Again, have you seen any assessments of his arm strength and accuracy?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
Again, have you seen any assessments of his arm strength and accuracy?

he is as gifted defensive player as I have seen.

too bad with the offensive side. i am sure he can start now

in the majors.