BA White Sox top prospects

southsider2k5

Here is the list posted this morning on the web site. The story is pay.

Here is a link.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2015...p-10-prospects/

Not a vote of confidence in Hawkins.

1. Carlos Rodon, lhp

2. Tim Anderson, SS

3. Spencer Adams, rhp

4. Micah Johnson, 2B

5. Frank Montas, rhp

6. Micker Adolfo, OF

7. Tyler Danish, rhp

8. Trey Michalczewski, 3b

9. Courtney Hawkins, of

10. Rangel Ravelo 1b

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)
Here is the list posted this morning on the web site. The story is pay.

Here is a link.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2015...p-10-prospects/

Not a vote of confidence in Hawkins.

1. Carlos Rodon, lhp

2. Tim Anderson, SS

3. Spencer Adams, rhp

4. Micah Johnson, 2B

5. Frank Montas, rhp

6. Micker Adolfo, OF

7. Tyler Danish, rhp

8. Trey Michalczewski, 3b

9. Courtney Hawkins, of

10. Rangel Ravelo 1b

Micker and Rangel getting far more love here than I would have expected.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 10:09 AM)
Shockingly aggressive on Micker.

Sometimes I think BA really blows certain guys up just because they want to be seen as the first to jump on the bandwagon. Hard to argue that Viva Zapata should show up here quite yet, let alone ahead of guys like Danish.

I completely agree, and it's one of the reasons I think Top 10 prospect lists are kinda dumb. We know who is drafted high, paid a lot, and performing well (or not well). That's good enough for me.

It is nice to see Ravelo recognized.

He did not make the top 20 in the Southern League, likely because he doesn't have what BA considers "tools." They always lean toward the guys who might have plus speed or power or defense.

As we know, the tools guys often bust.

Dude can hit, though.

But why no Bassitt? I don't get that.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
Has Bassitt "graduated" from prospect status yet?

If so, that's why.

He should still qualify based on this link:

no more than 130 at-bats, 50 innings or 30 relief appearances in the major leagues, without regard to service time

He missed a lot of time last year, wasn't that highly thought of in the first place, so I can kinda get why they wouldn't have him ranked highly.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 10:11 AM)
I completely agree, and it's one of the reasons I think Top 10 prospect lists are kinda dumb. We know who is drafted high, paid a lot, and performing well (or not well). That's good enough for me.

They're nice for making frames of reference, but it's why I always make it a point that the only thing that ultimately matters is what happens with the Chicago White Sox major league team. Yes, you want a good minor league system. Yes, you want it to be ranked high. But people would have assumed the White Sox were going to own the 2000s based on that 2000 team and the best minor league system in the game. The best player from that minor league system was an 88 MPH lefty who has thrown 200 innings in every season for the past 48 years.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
They're nice for making frames of reference, but it's why I always make it a point that the only thing that ultimately matters is what happens with the Chicago White Sox major league team. Yes, you want a good minor league system. Yes, you want it to be ranked high. But people would have assumed the White Sox were going to own the 2000s based on that 2000 team and the best minor league system in the game. The best player from that minor league system was an 88 MPH lefty who has thrown 200 innings in every season for the past 48 years.

Funny that I say this...from the Sunday Notes Article posted yesterday at FanGraphs (last paragraph):

In 2005, the Red Sox minor league system was ranked 21st among the 30 teams. Their top six prospects that year were: 1. Hanley Ramirez, 2. Brandon Moss, 3. Jonathan Papelbon, 4. Jon Lester, 5. Anibal Sanchez, 6. Dustin Pedroia. They’ve since gone on to accumulate 164.4 WAR. The Chicago Cubs were ranked 11 spots ahead of the Red Sox, at No. 10. Their top prospects were; 1. Brian Dopirak, 2. Felix Pie, 3. Ryan Harvey, 4. Angel Guzman, 5. Billy Petrick, 6. Renyel Pinto. They ended up being worth minus 1.1 WAR.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/sunday-note...-astros-dbacks/

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
Funny that I say this...from the Sunday Notes Article posted yesterday at FanGraphs (last paragraph):

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/sunday-note...-astros-dbacks/

That was worth a click for no other reason than a Reid Nichols sighting #obscure80splayers

I like to think of the last few Ron Zook recruiting classes. They had relatively high rankings, but most of the top rated guys never even got on the field. Even at certain ranking levels, there are different classes of guys - the guys who are an absolute longshot but with a lot of payoff predicated on a ton of improvement or the guys who are a sure thing that is one small improvement from being great