Mechanics and velocity

ptatc

I didn't know where to put this but many posters discuss how to increase velocity. Here is a really good article that shows a significant correlation between mechanics and velocity.

It basically states that contralateral trunk lean during the middle of the acceleration phase it directly correlated to increased velocity.

For a right handed pitcher the more they lean to the left the faster the pitch.

Lateral Trunk Lean in Pitchers Affects Both Ball Velocity and Upper Extremity Joint Moments

Matthew J. Solomito, MS*,†, Erin J. Garibay, MS†, Jessica R. Woods, BSBE‡, Sylvia Õunpuu, MSc‡ and Carl W. Nissen, MD§

+ Author Affiliations

†Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Research, Connecticut Children’s Medical Center, Farmington, Connecticut, USA

‡Center for Motion Analysis, Connecticut Children’s Medical Center, Farmington, Connecticut, USA

§Elite Sports Medicine, Connecticut Children’s Medical Center, Farmington, Connecticut, USA

Investigation performed at the Center for Motion Analysis, Connecticut Children’s Medical Center, Farmington, Connecticut, USA

↵* Matthew J. Solomito, MS, Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Research, Connecticut Children’s Medical Center, 399 Farmington Avenue, Farmington, CT 06032, USA (email: msolomito@connecticutchildrens.org).

Abstract

Background: The incidence of upper extremity injuries in baseball pitchers is increasing. Over the past decade there has been a great deal of research attempting to elucidate the cause of these injuries, focusing mainly on the mechanics of the pitching arm with no examination of other key segments, such as the trunk. This is surprising, as coaches will often comment on trunk position in an effort to improve pitching outcomes.

Purpose: To determine the association between contralateral trunk lean and ball velocity and the moments about the elbow and glenohumeral joint.

Study Design: Descriptive laboratory study.

Methods: A total of 99 pitchers were recruited for this study and underwent a pitching analysis using 3-dimensional motion analysis techniques. A random intercept mixed-effects regression model was used to determine if statistically significant associations existed between contralateral trunk lean (away from the pitching arm side) and ball velocity, as well as the elbow varus moment and glenohumeral internal rotation moment.

Results: The results demonstrated that the greatest contralateral trunk lean occurs around the time of the peak elbow varus moment. Statistically significant associations were found between contralateral trunk lean and increased ball velocity (P = .003) indicating that for every 10° increase in contralateral lean, ball velocity increased 0.5 m/s. Results also indicated that for every 10° increase in contralateral lean, elbow varus moments increased by 3.7 N·m and glenohumeral internal rotation moments increased by 2.5 N·m (P

Conclusion: Study findings indicate that the positioning of the trunk plays a substantial role in pitching performance and pitcher injury potential. This work helps to demonstrate the importance of proper trunk mechanics in pitching and highlights the need for future research to understand the contribution of the trunk to pitching mechanics.

Clinical Relevance: Pitching coaches and trainers can use the results of this study to stress the importance of proper trunk mechanics in pitching. Specifically, improving core strength and trunk control in an effort to maintain a more upright posture through the pitching cycle can reduce upper extremity joint stresses.

Thanks for sharing, very incitful.

Ptatc,

Weren't you the member that posted concerns about Rodon in reference to the trunk?

I thought you had specifically mentioned the trunk after watching scouting videos on Rodon.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ May 1, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)
Thanks for sharing, very incitful.

Ptatc,

Weren't you the member that posted concerns about Rodon in reference to the trunk?

I thought you had specifically mentioned the trunk after watching scouting videos on Rodon.

Yes, that was me. The original comments were pre-draft. It was more in relation to his lack of trunk flexion during his follow through. I mentioned I thought it could be an issue with his control and possible increased stress on his shoulder.

However, I also said that it would not prevent me from drafting him as the talent was too great to pass up. The best player available discussion.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 1, 2015 -> 01:10 PM)
Yes, that was me. The original comments were pre-draft. It was more in relation to his lack of trunk flexion during his follow through. I mentioned I thought it could be an issue with his control and possible increased stress on his shoulder.

However, I also said that it would not prevent me from drafting him as the talent was too great to pass up. The best player available discussion.

I remember now, its been a year or so since you had mentioned it so the memory of your posts is a bit foggy,that was many beers ago.

Two questions.

1- do you think Rodon's occasional control issues comes from the lack of flexion or is it more about repeating his mechanics?

2- would it be best to leave Rodon alone?

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ May 1, 2015 -> 03:06 PM)
I remember now, its been a year or so since you had mentioned it so the memory of your posts is a bit foggy,that was many beers ago.

Two questions.

1- do you think Rodon's occasional control issues comes from the lack of flexion or is it more about repeating his mechanics?

2- would it be best to leave Rodon alone?

The abrupt stop in trunk flexion make it difficult to repeat the mechanics. It's a high effort delivery/follow through IMO.

I probably would leave it alone and see if he can smooth it out gradually. From what is said, he is an intelligent pitcher. If he continues to have commend issues, he'll get it. Trying to make major changes before he has failures really isn't the way to go for any pitcher. He has always had success so this will be his learning curve. Hopefully, he can make the adjustments.