knightni

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

White Sox (35-33) vs Cubs (24-44)

Wednesday 6/20, 8:10 PM ET at U.S. Cellular Field

Radio: CHC: WGN 720 CWS: WSCR 670, 97.5 ESPN Deportes

TV: CHC: WGN CWS: CSN

Floyd, Wells will try to impress in Windy City finale

By Paul Casella / MLB.com | 6/19/2012 11:52 PM ET

If struggling White Sox right-hander Gavin Floyd needs any added motivation to turn things around sooner rather than later, all he'll have to do Wednesday night is look at opposing Cubs starter Randy Wells.

Wells, who spent the last three seasons entrenched in the Cubs' rotation, will be making just his third start after beginning the season at Triple-A Iowa. The right-hander didn't allow a run over 7 1/3 innings during Spring Training, but didn't break camp with the team after going 7-6 with a 4.99 ERA a season ago.

"Three years in the rotation doesn't guarantee you're going to get the fourth," Wells said. "The two years I had in the rotation didn't guarantee anything. I've been through it before. It [stinks] to go through. It's definitely an eye-opener but it makes you stronger and you realize there's nothing given to you in this game and there's a guy waiting to take your spot every day."

With that philosophy in mind, it'd be in Floyd's best interest to take Wednesday's opportunity to snap out of a recent funk in which he's conceded four or more earned runs in each of his last six outings. The righty is just 1-4 in those six starts and carries a 10.16 ERA during that span.

"They don't go out there not trying to pitch well," White Sox manager Robin Ventura said of Floyd and fellow struggling starter Philip Humber. "It's just more trying to get them right. It's important for every guy to go out, not just pinpointing those two. They want to do well, too, and we want them to do well."

While Floyd will look to rediscover the stuff that led to him notching 50 wins over the past four seasons, Wells will just be hoping to make the most of his opportunity starting in place of the injured Ryan Dempster.

Wells, who is 1-1 with a 4.50 ERA in 10 appearances (two starts) this season, insists he won't get caught up in what a good -- or bad -- outing might do to the potential of him rejoining the rotation in the future.

"It's an opportunity to get back on the hill as a starter and hopefully have some quick innings and some quality innings and give the team a chance to win," Wells said. "I'm not worried about what it means and all this stuff. It's unfortunate 'Demp' went down and I was the guy they called to start and I'm going to do it."

Cubs: Good news for injured Stewart

Ian Stewart's visit to the Cleveland Clinic on Monday confirmed the Cubs' medical staff's original diagnosis of no structural damage to the third baseman's injured left wrist.

Stewart, who has been on the disabled list since June 13 because of the soreness in his wrist, also received a cortisone injection in the top of his hand that manager Dale Sveum is hoping will ease the discomfort.

"This kind of thing is lingering but hopefully the cortisone shot in a different area will make a difference," Sveum said Tuesday.

Stewart is hitting .201 with five homers and 17 RBIs in 55 games.

White Sox: Recent skid not deterring ballclub

Despite his club losing six of its last seven games and falling out of first place in the American League Central with Tuesday's loss, catcher A.J. Pierzynski is trying to keep his teammates focused on the long-term goal.

A second straight loss to the Cubs, coupled with the Indians' walk-off victory Tuesday, dropped the White Sox out of first place in the division for the first time since May 28.

"We just try to stay positive, don't get too high or too low," Pierzynski said. "We have a pretty good group of young guys that don't get too high or too low. You try to go about your business and keep the same routine and go from there."

Worth noting

• Floyd is 0-3 in four career starts against the Cubs, despite posting a respectable 3.67 ERA in those outings.

• Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro is 4-for-9 [.444] with a triple, homer and four RBIs against Floyd.

• Pierzynski is 5-for-6 [.833] with a double and three RBIs against Wells.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 07:08 AM)
This week has been a kick in the nuts, sports-wise. Hey Gavin, how about you forget your current little "streak" and go out and do something awesome? thx bye

I agree with this post.

Ok now we lost two of three to the best team in baseball out there in LA LA land and now we show we are equal opportunity types by losing the first two to the worse team in baseball. Time to turn this thing around starting tonight. Floyd needs to keep the ball down and win for a change. Grow a pair Gavin. I will be there again behind the big screen.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 04:29 PM)
Orlando Hudson sucks balls. When he first got here he was taking a lot of walks so I was okay with him, but now he's just useless. I'd rather see Brent Morel back.

That will certainly be awhile

This run of bad luck is amazing to watch. If the offense steps up, the pitching blows it. If the pitching is good, the offense lays an egg.

It's like the baseball god does not want the Sox to win any more.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
It's like the baseball god does not want the Sox to win any more.

It's almost as if a .500 team that went on a 9 game winning streak is regressing to the mean. Shocking.

I heard that we won the BP Cup already. what is up with that? I say that you have to win 4 games to get that. If it is tied just turn it into a piñata and let fans take swings at it.

These last two games have been disgusting. Wasting another great outing by Jake Elwood. Not counting on GF to pitch a cg shutout thus we better score a ton of runs.

The Cubs are bad, but I have to think their winning percentage gets better if they don't move their starting pitchers. They have a pretty damn good rotation despite all of their other flaws.

I heard that we won the BP Cup already. what is up with that? I say that you have to win 4 games to get that. If it is tied just turn it into a piñata and let fans take swings at it.

These last two games have been disgusting. Wasting another great outing by Jake Elwood. Not counting on GF to pitch a cg shutout thus we better score a ton of runs.

It's like the Ryder Cup. If the series ends up tied, the team that already has the cup gets to keep it. Sox already had it, so they keep it even if the Cubs win tonight and the season series splits 3-3.

How far away is Brent Morel from returning? I know everybody hates him but I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up on him yet. Defensively he's at least a lot better than Hudson, and offensively is something Manto can work on him with. I'm willing to give him this year to see if he can work through the kinks.

Edited by RZZZA

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 12:15 PM)
How far away is Brent Morel from returning? I know everybody hates him but I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up on him yet. Defensively he's at least a lot better than Hudson, and offensively is something Manto can work on him with. I'm willing to give him this year to see if he can work through the kinks.

A month, maybe more.