Good Company eh?

Lip Man 1

Found this at another location and wanted to share it.

This will be the 7th year in a row the White Sox have missed the postseason.

Out of the 122 professional franchises in the 4 major North American sports, here are the only teams that now have longer postseason droughts than the White Sox:

1.) Buffalo Bills, 15 years

2.) Seattle Mariners, 14 years

3.) Oakland Raiders, 12 years

4.) Cleveland Browns, 12 years

5.) Miami Marlins, 12 years

6.) Minnesota Timberwolves, 11 years

7.) St. Louis Rams, 10 years

8.) Edmonton Oilers, 9 years

9.) Sacramento Kings, 9 years

10.) San Diego Padres, 9 years

11.) Houston Astros*, 9 years (still alive this year.)

Solid company.

And as yet another poster pointed out a lot of the teams on this list play in smaller markets than Chicago. The 3rd largest market in the U.S.

This franchise is in as bad of a shape as the late 60's / mid 70's. Obviously that's not good.

Mark

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 11:59 PM)

Out of the 122 professional franchises in the 4 major North American sports, here are the only teams that now have longer postseason droughts than the White Sox:

Solid company.

And as yet another poster pointed out a lot of the teams on this list play in smaller markets than Chicago. The 3rd largest market in the U.S.

This franchise is in as bad of a shape as the late 60's / mid 70's. Obviously that's not good.

Mark

So essentially the bottom 9%, which is exactly where our attendance sits as well.

No Sox fan will give them a break when posed with the defense..."but they spend in the 12-18 range on payroll" argument when so many of those resources have been incorrectly allocated. Followed up by the "well, a majority of fans were in favor when the moves were made OR they seemed logical at the time" because results and progress are the only thing that matter.

You could buy until this season that the plan was on track...but we're much closer to the bottom of the division/AL than we were when the season began. One would also note the managerial and/or GM changes from the other three MLB teams on the list.

Besides the Raiders, those are all small or mid-market teams.

Edited by caulfield12

i really don't know what the problem is or the answer.

i will go back to what i stated earlier. not my rant on the owner and not getting enuf players nor the profit and lost.

the one problem that i keep coming back to is this.

many thought that the sox did enuf changes to be in better shape, including me. the owners and FO thought the same and to be honest most was in a giddy mood b/c it.

dang, even at the trade deadline, the sox rolled out a series of wins.

now this is a rhetorical question, what happen to cause most of the team to fail, to go into a prolong slump??

could anything have been done from management side to change the momentum??

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 05:18 AM)

i will go back to what i stated earlier. not my rant on the owner and not getting enuf players nor the profit and lost.

many thought that the sox did enuf changes to be in better shape, including me. the owners and FO thought the same and to be honest most was in a giddy mood b/c it.

now this is a rhetorical question, what happen to cause most of the team to fail, to go into a prolong slump??

yes.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 12:59 AM)

Solid company.

Mark

the Cubs were on this list until 2 weeks ago. So what's your point?

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 04:18 AM)

We'll never know if they only make cosmetic changes to the scouting department and especially the coaching staff.

Have the Cubs won a playoff game since Bartman?

How many teams in professional sports have World Championships since 2005?

You adjust the goalposts enough, you can make a lot of teams look bad. How many professional teams have finished last more often than Boston the past 4 seasons? Just forget the one time they didn't....title.

I am pretty sure the whiners who need playoff appearances, will whine about not winning if that occurs. Of course it doesn't matter now, but they always will have a complaint in their back pocket. After the Sox won, there was post after post that said just making the playoffs isn't good enough anymore. Could you imagine some of these whiners every time the Braves were bounced during their historic playoff run? Do you really think they wouldn't be calling for heads to be chopped?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 02:26 PM)
Have the Cubs won a playoff game since Bartman?

How many teams in professional sports have World Championships since 2005?

You adjust the goalposts enough, you can make a lot of teams look bad. How many professional teams have finished last more often than Boston the past 4 seasons? Just forget the one time they didn't....title.

I am pretty sure the whiners who need playoff appearances, will whine about not winning if that occurs. Of course it doesn't matter now, but they always will have a complaint in their back pocket. After the Sox won, there was post after post that said just making the playoffs isn't good enough anymore. Could you imagine some of these whiners every time the Braves were bounced during their historic playoff run? Do you really think they wouldn't be calling for heads to be chopped?

i don't know if i am one of those whiners you mention.

but this is a good post.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 08:49 AM)
Fewer teams make the playoffs in MLB than the other sports. The Sox have sucked but as far as comparing across other sports... *shrug*

This is a good point. Teams with losing records make the playoffs in the NBA and NHL every year, and occasionally the NFL, it's significantly harder to make the playoffs in baseball. Not to excuse the Sox of course, but I wonder how many people would be complaining if the Sox didn't fall apart the last 10 games of 2012.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 08:49 AM)
Fewer teams make the playoffs in MLB than the other sports. The Sox have sucked but as far as comparing across other sports... *shrug*

Exactly. If MLB had the same type of playoff seeding as the NBA the Sox would basically have a been a perennial playoff team for the past 25 years give or take a season here and there.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 08:20 AM)
While this doesn't mean much, the sox were allowed by mlb to sell playoff tickets in these years:

All but 2012 were offered to season ticket holders, while 2012 had alds tix sold to the public.

They were in contention those years.

The Bears sold me tickets for the 2016 NFC Championship game at Soldier Field.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 01:53 AM)
So essentially the bottom 9%, which is exactly where our attendance sits as well.

No Sox fan will give them a break when posed with the defense..."but they spend in the 12-18 range on payroll" argument when so many of those resources have been incorrectly allocated. Followed up by the "well, a majority of fans were in favor when the moves were made OR they seemed logical at the time" because results and progress are the only thing that matter.

You could buy until this season that the plan was on track...but we're much closer to the bottom of the division/AL than we were when the season began. One would also note the managerial and/or GM changes from the other three MLB teams on the list.

Besides the Raiders, those are all small or mid-market teams.

Houston is mid-market?

Am I the only one who enjoys seasons that don't end up with the Sox in the playoffs? The last three years have sucked, but 2012 was fun, and 2006 and 2010 were great rides. Hell 2008 is actually a lot closer to 2005 for me than you might think just for Game 163 alone. I'd much rather have those types of seasons than the typical Marlins' season. Doesn't mean the Sox front office shouldn't be held accountable for not making the playoffs, but to me all non-playoff years are not the same. They're frustrating, sure (especially the end of 2012), but 2012 was still >>>>>> 2013.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 10:19 AM)
Am I the only one who enjoys seasons that don't end up with the Sox in the playoffs? The last three years have sucked, but 2012 was fun, and 2006 and 2010 were great rides. Hell 2008 is actually a lot closer to 2005 for me than you might think just for Game 163 alone. I'd much rather have those types of seasons than the typical Marlins' season. Doesn't mean the Sox front office shouldn't be held accountable for not making the playoffs, but to me all non-playoff years are not the same. They're frustrating, sure (especially the end of 2012), but 2012 was still >>>>>> 2013.

That's pretty much a given.

You could go back all the way to 1901 and I would still think that 2013 was one of the worst years for the White Sox franchise ever. They were absolutely terrible from start to finish.

I guess Rodon is a great reward for having to endure that trainwreck of a year though.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)

You could go back all the way to 1901 and I would still think that 2013 was one of the worst years for the White Sox franchise ever. They were absolutely terrible from start to finish.

I guess Rodon is a great reward for having to endure that trainwreck of a year though.

I realize it's obvious to say but a lot of fans just like to lump all non-playoff years together, which I think is a bit short-sighted.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)

Even though they lost more in 2013, I think 2007 was worse. They were losing after 1 pitch that year, had the worst record in baseball most of the year until a late surge lead by the great Josh Fields and Jerry Owens gave them a good September.

The next year, Ozzie was an idiot for playing Crede over Fields.

September meaningless baseball..........be careful how you judge players.

Edited by Dick Allen