Sox willing to deal Beckham in "right deal now"

Heads22

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 09:00 PM)
Hope the Sox keep their minds eyes open. I'd be willing to trade Quintana for, say, the package the Cubs were asking from Toronto for Samrardzija.

If Samardjiza and impeding contract situation can get the Cubs a top 10 prospect in baseball at a premium position, I think Hahn has to at least be curious about what Q could fetch with his team friendly contract.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 02:26 AM)
If Samardjiza and impeding contract situation can get the Cubs a top 10 prospect in baseball at a premium position, I think Hahn has to at least be curious about what Q could fetch with his team friendly contract.

If Hahn was shopping Q then he'd certainly have been talking to the A's, right? I suspect we've seen the last of Beckham soon cause Semien can replace him. Shortstop will be more difficult. I have a sneaky feeling Jerry does not want any more 99-loss teams. At least with Becks there are replacements.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 09:49 PM)
If Hahn was shopping Q then he'd certainly have been talking to the A's, right? I suspect we've seen the last of Beckham soon cause Semien can replace him. Shortstop will be more difficult. I have a sneaky feeling Jerry does not want any more 99-loss teams. At least with Becks there are replacements.

Golly, I would hope not.

And I don't necessarily agree about Beckham. I'd like to see him traded, but the Sox aren't just going to ship him off for nothing. Hahn may end up asking too much, and he'll be a Sox the rest of the season.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 09:26 PM)

What can you trade for that puts your rebuilding in a better position without Quintana? Two top 10 prospects? I think I'd still prefer the 25-year old proven starting pitcher with the team friendly contract until 2020.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 06:59 AM)
What can you trade for that puts your rebuilding in a better position without Quintana? Two top 10 prospects? I think I'd still prefer the 25-year old proven starting pitcher with the team friendly contract until 2020.

I agree. He is more valuable to us than what it would take for anyone else to acquire him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 05:59 AM)

They're not going to give you Stroman and Daniel Norris.

In all likelihood, you're not even going to get one of those guys. You might get Sanchez, but how does that help the White Sox, exactly? The Blue Jays weren't willing to give up EITHER Stroman or Norris straight up for Samardzijia, let alone both of them.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 08:44 AM)

In all likelihood, you're not even going to get one of those guys. You might get Sanchez, but how does that help the White Sox, exactly? The Blue Jays weren't willing to give up EITHER Stroman or Norris straight up for Samardzijia, let alone both of them.

Then you don't trade him. Pretty simple solution.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)

I disagree. I think you could get Sanchez and one of Stroman/Norris for Quintana. Quintana is better than Samardzjia, is 25 vs. 29 and is controlled through 2018. Sox might have to throw in a low level pitching prospect to go back but I think the Jays make that move. If I'm Hahn I wouldn't do it. You know what you are going to get from Quintana and Stroman and Norris are still question marks. The White Sox don't need more un-projectionable players when they have a great duo in Abreu and Sale to build around.

QUOTE (striker @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
I disagree. I think you could get Sanchez and one of Stroman/Norris for Quintana. Quintana is better than Samardzjia, is 25 vs. 29 and is controlled through 2018. Sox might have to throw in a low level pitching prospect to go back but I think the Jays make that move. If I'm Hahn I wouldn't do it. You know what you are going to get from Quintana and Stroman and Norris are still question marks. The White Sox don't need more un-projectionable players when they have a great duo in Abreu and Sale to build around.

I do not believe Quintana is better than Samardzija. He is more valuable and more of a guarantee going forward, but I do not believe he is better. Frankly, he may not be worse either, but I think it's crazy talk to say that Quintana is better than Samardzija.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)
I do not believe Quintana is better than Samardzija. He is more valuable and more of a guarantee going forward, but I do not believe he is better. Frankly, he may not be worse either, but I think it's crazy talk to say that Quintana is better than Samardzija.

I'll accept the argument if you factor in age and control, but not straight up. I think sox fans, annoyed with the Sale comparisons, have weirdly now convinced themselves that Samardzija is garbage

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 09:07 AM)
I'll accept the argument if you factor in age and control, but not straight up. I think sox fans, annoyed with the Sale comparisons, have weirdly now convinced themselves that Samardzija is garbage

Right, age and control isn't better, it's more valuable. Barry Bonds is still probably a better hitter than Adrian Nieto, but if you had both under contract, you're going to get more in return for Nieto.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)

fWAR the last 3 years including so far in 2014

Smarj

Q

I don't think it's crazy talk to say that based on the last 2 seasons Q has been the better pitcher. He's been worth 1.5 extra WAR over the past 1.5 seasons.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)
Q is a good pitcher who is signed for way below market rate for the forseeable future. If someone isn't willing to drastically overpay, there is zero reason to trade him.

Agreed, Q is realistically a player who can be on the Sox when they're contending and contribute considering his current contract. It would have to be a hell fo a deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)
fWAR the last 3 years including so far in 2014

Smarj

Q

I don't think it's crazy talk to say that based on the last 2 seasons Q has been the better pitcher. He's been worth 1.5 extra WAR over the past 1.5 seasons.

I will let you try and argue that case. I am going to maintain that they are, for all intents and purposes, equally good with neither pitcher being better or worse.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
So Samardzija has allowed less earned runs in more innings pitched, more ks, the same amount of walks and less hits, and obviously lower WHIP,

and he is worth .6 less fWar this year?

I'm sure a part of that is the fact that he's pitching in the NL.