Carlos Rodon prospect watch

Feeky Magee

Thought this post in the Rodon signs thread was a good idea:

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 06:24 PM)
I would be interested in clicking on a new Rodon thread at the top of PaleHose if it was there. Maybe the first post could continually update and add a line everytime he pitches, like a BR game log page, and then the discussion would be ongoing.

I only mention this because he's a special prospect and I feel like some people probably don't enter many minor league game thread discussions. He's gonna be fun to keep tabs on even for those here who have little interest in our minors.

August 13th:

3.2 IP, 3H, 1R, 0ER, 1BB, 7K

JJ Cooper @jjcoop36 · 24m

We're getting the top of the draft nasty Carlos Rodon tonight. 93-96 with a wicked slider.

JJ Cooper @jjcoop36 · 23m

Rodon's hardest sliders are 88-89 but better with a little less velo and more bite.

JJ Cooper @jjcoop36 · 3m

Rodon starts out third consistently at 95-96, gets k to start the inning with a freeze ya 87 slider.

JJ Cooper @jjcoop36 · 2m

And now we see 97 from Rodon. And then an 88 mph slider for another taken strike three. Fun to watch.

JJ Cooper @jjcoop36 · 59s

And ground out on a 90 mph slider ends a very easy inning for Rodon. 5 Ks through three.

JJ Cooper @jjcoop36 · 6m

Rodon back down to 93-95 in fourth. After three balls works back to 3-2 but misses outside with slider for a bb. Now at 52 pitches.

JJ Cooper @jjcoop36 · 1m

Rodon gives up a double and then a run on a wp. But Ks next batter, and the next one with three changeups to end his outing. 7 Ks in 4.2 ip

Total pro line:

12.2 IP, 10H, 5R, 4ER, 5BB, 18K. 6.00 ERA with AZL, 1.87 with WS, 2.95 overall.

Edited by Feeky Magee

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 09:53 PM)
1ip ,2 hits, 1er, k. Oh no, bust. lol. >96 , is that what he tops out at?

Generally sat 92-95 in college. Has been clocked as high as 98. Scouts were worried earlier this year when he was sitting 89-92 but he regained it as the year went on.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 04:47 AM)
:whip

Should probably be pushed down to 3rd or maybe even 4th on the Sox prospects list after tonight.

well WELCOME to the big league.

it was only if first start, I like everyone knows that this outing is not going to diminish his potential. btw

since we know he may be fast track to the majors, is there a way to post Sale innings pitch and w/l record

as a side by side count-down so to speak. since Sale was also fast track as well.

man I can't wait for the new top 20 prospect for the sox.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 05:17 AM)
well WELCOME to the big league. it was only if first start, I like everyone knows that this outing is not going to diminish his potential. btw since we know he may be fast track to the majors, is there a way to post Sale innings pitch and w/l record as a side by side count-down so to speak. since Sale was also fast track as well. man I can't wait for the new top 20 prospect for the sox.

I'm not sure how helpful that's going to be, because:

1) Sale signed much more quickly

2) The 2010 White Sox were in the heat of a pennant race and in desperate need of immediate bullpen help

3) Sale's contract stipulated he get a taste of the bigs right away

4) Rodon had an intense workload for NC State and they'll want to limit his innings until the spring

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 07:35 AM)
4) Rodon had an intense workload for NC State and they'll want to limit his innings until the spring

To stress...Rodon's intensive workout for NC State = fewer innings than Chris Sale had pitched in 2010 prior to the draft if you count the gulf coast league work.

I'm as excited as the next fan but its possible Rodon hits a bump here and there along the way. Im not going to allow myself to get caught up in high expectations that put some kind of a time frame. Rodon is not Sale, he is Rodon and however long it takes is fine because I do believe he will develope into the front line starter he's projected to become. Probably not a quick as Sale but still plenty quick enough.

The results in his AZL appearances should mean nearly zero to anyone. His velocity was good, he wasn't missing spots a lot, and the hits he gave up were not hard-hit either. This outing should have no relevance to evaluating him, at least statistically.

Once he gets going in W-S for a bit, the numbers may mean something.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 08:44 AM)
The results in his AZL appearances should mean nearly zero to anyone. His velocity was good, he wasn't missing spots a lot, and the hits he gave up were not hard-hit either. This outing should have no relevance to evaluating him, at least statistically.

Once he gets going in W-S for a bit, the numbers may mean something.

This is important. Guys in the AZL are generally young and raw players with it also being a place for players to rehab. This means they likely haven't developed the instincts or skills to quickly get to balls in the hole or necessarily make accurate throws. This is why K's, BB's, and velocity are much more important, especially in the low minors.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
This is important. Guys in the AZL are generally young and raw players with it also being a place for players to rehab. This means they likely haven't developed the instincts or skills to quickly get to balls in the hole or necessarily make accurate throws. This is why K's, BB's, and velocity are much more important, especially in the low minors.

I agree I think. Are you saying the AZL is really practice ----the good news is Rodon was surrounded by guys who are lousy fielders but the bad news he gave up hits to guys who are lousy hitters......................................................

Hahn on the Score...said Rodon's changeup has been impressive since he didn't use it much this year.

No timetable, but it sounds like he has a shot to make it up in September. If you go by Sale's path in 2010, he had four games in Winston-Salem and seven games in Charlotte over four weeks. So September 1st is about right.

Can someone explain how his arbitration clock would work if he came up in September? I don't know when time starts and what "super-2's" are and so on. That would be good to know before my opinion is "why start his clock so early, just wait till next year."

Can someone explain how his arbitration clock would work if he came up in September? I don't know when time starts and what "super-2's" are and so on. That would be good to know before my opinion is "why start his clock so early, just wait till next year."

Your "arb clock" starts the first day you are added to the 25-man roster. If he came up September 1 he would accumulate 28 days of service time. If he starts next season on the roster, those 28 days won't matter. If he starts next season back in AAA, then the cutoff to call him back up and avoid "Super-2" would be pushed back by 28 days.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
Your "arb clock" starts the first day you are added to the 25-man roster. If he came up September 1 he would accumulate 28 days of service time. If he starts next season on the roster, those 28 days won't matter. If he starts next season back in AAA, then the cutoff to call him back up and avoid "Super-2" would be pushed back by 28 days.

If he's up in September, he would not need to be on the 25 man roster.