It's Mid-August

ILMOU

Sept. will be overcrowded with all the guys we'll want to look at, on top of Paulie's farewell AB's. We're just not going to get the sufficient looks we should at guys like Wilkins, Semien and Sanchez particularly. ST basically provides bad data and tells little if anything. This is the chance to give guys looks at MLB pitchers who are actually competing - and we're blowing it. Beckham and Dunn needed to be gone already on Aug 1. Hell, Dunn has homered in back to back games and has a 828 OPS vs. righties, and is still, apparently, immovable. If it hasn't happened yet, why would it now? It would have been nice for us hardcore fans to get a look at possible pieces of the future, but no such luck. Patience is waning. This sucks.

Next year needed to begin on July 31st. It didn't, and the fail continues...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 06:18 PM)
Sept. will be overcrowded with all the guys we'll want to look at, on top of Paulie's farewell AB's. We're just not going to get the sufficient looks we should at guys like Wilkins, Semien and Sanchez particularly. ST basically provides bad data and tells little if anything. This is the chance to give guys looks at MLB pitchers who are actually competing - and we're blowing it. Beckham and Dunn needed to be gone already on Aug 1. Hell, Dunn has homered in back to back games and has a 828 OPS vs. righties, and is still, apparently, immovable. If it hasn't happened yet, why would it now? It would have been nice for us hardcore fans to get a look at possible pieces of the future, but no such luck. Patience is waning. This sucks.

Next year needed to begin on July 31st. It didn't, and the fail continues...

Great points. Don't know what Hahn can do except pay almost all their salaries for the rest of the season to the team that might take a flier on Dunn or Beckham.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 10:10 PM)
If the conventional wisdom is that all of these guys suck and need to be dumped, why is it assumed that somehow someone else wants them?

It definitely shouldn't be assumed. I was thinking the only possibility would be to pay almost all their remaining salaries.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 04:10 PM)
If the conventional wisdom is that all of these guys suck and need to be dumped, why is it assumed that somehow someone else wants them?

Dunn would actually be an upgrade for some teams at the DH spot. I'm really surprised he hasn't been moved yet. Beckham on the other hand...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)

No one does, or they'd be gone already, right? How about a couple of phantom injuries, or something? Anything.

Admittedly, just a venting rant here, but in a rare acknowledged rebuild season, we haven't yet moved forward or given a healthy audition to future pieces, for whatever reason, and it rather perturbs me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)

It's because they don't serve any purpose for us, since our window is a year or more into the future.

They could certainly serve a purpose for a team this year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
It's because they don't serve any purpose for us, since our window is a year or more into the future.

They could certainly serve a purpose for a team this year.

You would think, but yet...

I am shocked nobody wants Dunn. Can other teams really see absolutely no value in a guy who does pretty good work against RHP?

I'm honestly starting to think the price on him this offseason as an FA is going to be well below what he's worth. Combine that and our complete lack of options at DH going into 2015... I'm not opposed to a 2 year deal.

Maybe the Machado injury can make Baltimore interested in Dunn. He was a righty, but they had Chris Davis playing 3B again last night, so maybe they can use LHB in the DH/1B spot. Cruz/Pearce/Delmon are all righties.

Looking at the other contenders:

Toronto: Lind, E5 coming back soon

Yankees: Tex, Beltran can still only DH

KC: Hosmer is coming back soon, no room with him, Butler & Willingham

Detroit: Victor Martinez

Oakland: More in need of a RHB, not a lefty

Angels: Maybe? Brennan Boesch did just DH twice, but I think they like to give Pujols/Trout/Hamilton rest in the spot

Seattle: Just traded for Morales

In the NL maybe the Brewers could use him, but Lucroy plays a lot of first base and Reynolds is the same player as Dunn, just a righty. Or the Giants could be interested if Belt's concussion symptoms are serious.

Either way, given Dunn's positional limitations, there really don't seem to be that many places he could be traded.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 07:07 AM)
I still cannot believe Dunn is not gone from this roster yet. Seriously how on Earth is that possible? He's got what,

Hahn must be holding out for something other than pure garbage, because Dunn is a guy that should be extremely tradable if we eat enough money. The DH issue really holds back his value though. Maybe Hahn thinks a team could get desperate by the August 31st waiver deadline and give up a lottery ticket for Dunn. I'm ok waiting on that, but I still can't comprehend why Beckham remains on the team.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 09:36 AM)
Hahn must be holding out for something other than pure garbage, because Dunn is a guy that should be extremely tradable if we eat enough money. The DH issue really holds back his value though. Maybe Hahn thinks a team could get desperate by the August 31st waiver deadline and give up a lottery ticket for Dunn. I'm ok waiting on that, but I still can't comprehend why Beckham remains on the team.

If someone had offered any value at all for Adam Dunn, he'd be gone already.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)
If someone had offered any value at all for Adam Dunn, he'd be gone already.

That's the point I just made in the Avi thread. If there were a team offering value at all - either to eat the remainder of his salary or offering a prospect that has any upside whatsoever with the Sox eating his salary - the trade would have been made already.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
Away from what's best for the organization, I need reasons to watch this team in September. It's selfish but I want to see Semien, Taylor, Wilkins and perhaps even Beck to give me some moderate excitement.

All of this, of course, but practical reasons too.

Are we ever going to give Wilkins and Sanchez particularly a real legit look at being part of the future? Their best chance started August 1. Both could easily be squeezed out next year, and there's currently no good plan for DH, so that could be an area of offseason expenditure - would sure be nice to know if there's an internal option that could save, oh $50M or so - the kind of info a 200 PA audition would have provided. I guess we'll just assume Wilkins has no chance to be a big leaguer. That seems prudent.

If this goes another two weeks with no action, we get nothing, save nothing AND, most importantly, learn nothing.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 01:37 AM)
I am shocked nobody wants Dunn. Can other teams really see absolutely no value in a guy who does pretty good work against RHP?

I'm honestly starting to think the price on him this offseason as an FA is going to be well below what he's worth. Combine that and our complete lack of options at DH going into 2015... I'm not opposed to a 2 year deal.

This is what I mean about Dunn getting the benefit of the doubt in Internet-land (especially compared to my favorite, PK). Why oh why oh why would you want to continue the Adam era on the south side? I guess at 2 million a year you could keep anybody, but 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 million?

Edited by greg775

This is what I mean about Dunn getting the benefit of the doubt in Internet-land (especially compared to my favorite, PK). Why oh why oh why would you want to continue the Adam era on the south side? I guess at 2 million a year you could keep anybody, but 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 million?

If PK can get $2.5M to put up a .646 OPS then Dunn can be paid $5M to put up a .788 OPS.