Jordan Danks

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 10:04 PM)
Had an amazing game defensively. No surprise there. He's just a beast in CFer.

Hitting .333 with an ops over .800 since getting called up and getting regular playing time.

I still want him part of the team going forward. His defense is too good to pass up. lol at the haters.

I do want him to play every day the rest of the season, and let's see what he does with a good month or two of steady at bats. Defensively, no doubt, he's good but he's got to show up offensively to be that 4th OF.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 12:36 AM)
He's not as good as Adam Eaton defensively...there was a ball hit a night or two ago that tipped off Danks' glove that I'm sure Eaton would have gotten to.

That is, if he can actually stay on the field and stop trying to run through fences.

Yeah, I'm not qute sure that Eaton gets that ball. I didn't catch the jump that Danks got on it, but considering how much taller he is than Eaton, I'm not sure that if it tips off Danks stretched out body that Eaton doesn't get a glove on it at all. Hardly a catch you should count on ANY centerfielder in the game to make.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 01:33 AM)
Yeah, I'm not qute sure that Eaton gets that ball. I didn't catch the jump that Danks got on it, but considering how much taller he is than Eaton, I'm not sure that if it tips off Danks stretched out body that Eaton doesn't get a glove on it at all. Hardly a catch you should count on ANY centerfielder in the game to make.

Eaton is at least two steps faster than Danks, IMO.

Danks, once he gets going, makes up ground with his longer strides, but lacks explosive quickness. It's why he hasn't been much of a basestealer in his career. Players at that height rarely have the acceleration necessary to reach top speed in their first 2-3 steps.

If he learns to hit well whilst getting a part-time role then he'd be ideal for the cost. A Left Handed bat that can be brought in late defensively.

Assuming we are going with Tank LF, Eaton CF and Avi G at RF. Then Danksy would be ideal back up for this trio at a reasonable cost.

If we move Tank, then I would be uncomfortable with Danks as a starting outfielder and would assume that we would be scouring the market for a decent Left Fielder.

QUOTE (The Mighty Mite @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 07:48 AM)
Danks should have been on the roster from 2014 opening day with DeAza shown the door. We might have won a couple of more games from his defense alone not to mention better base running than DeAza who doesn't have a clue on the base paths.

That's pretty funny. And false.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 12:10 AM)
I do want him to play every day the rest of the season, and let's see what he does with a good month or two of steady at bats. Defensively, no doubt, he's good but he's got to show up offensively to be that 4th OF.

His bat doesn't even have to be that great to be a valuable 4th outfielder. With his defense, ff he can hit .220-.230 he would be a good 4th OF. He provides solid pop from the left side and would probably steal 20-25 bases if he played full time. If he could ever hit over .250 with a strikeout rate around 25% or less he'd even have a case to be a starter somewhere.

QUOTE (The Mighty Mite @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 08:28 AM)
Have you been away all summer and missed DeAza's escapades in the field and running the bases?

He's actually been pretty decent with both for the most part the last couple of months. Apparently you were the one away and missed the Jordan Danks Experience earlier this season. But overall he is hitting a solid .176. It is funny you mentioned opening day as well. Didn't De Aza go deep twice that day?

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
I guess Danks would be a solid fourth OF behind Tank, Eaton, and Avi but I'd like to pick one up in FA, maybe trade De Aza for a reliever

If De Aza had enough value to bring a return of an A-ball reliever at the start of this season and he wasn't dealt for one then Ricky made a mistake. De Aza will be even more expensive next year if he's even offered arbitration and he's coming off an even worse season with the bat. He isn't being traded for anything.

For him to be worth anything in a trade he'd have to get off to a really good start next season, which just like this year, seems extremely unlikely especially if he's stuck in a platoon role and not getting regular at bats.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 08:33 AM)
His bat doesn't even have to be that great to be a valuable 4th outfielder. With his defense, ff he can hit .220-.230 he would be a good 4th OF. He provides solid pop from the left side and would probably steal 20-25 bases if he played full time. If he could ever hit over .250 with a strikeout rate around 25% or less he'd even have a case to be a starter somewhere.

He can catch the ball and be a competent fill in a couple of days a week. He is a great 4th/5th OF.

Honestly I think we see NewLF/Eaton/Garcia/Sierra/Danks as our OF roster next year.

Danks is talented enough to have a few good games in a row, but he is nothing even close to "good." He can't hit at all, and while his defense is definitely good, it's not "elite."

I'm not going to argue if they non-tender ADA and move Viciedo to save some money, but even if they do, Danks should be a fallback option. He is not good enough to be a cog on a contender.

Danks has the same problem Gordon Beckham has, at least one of them.

Can't hit or lay off high fastballs. Just doesn't have the bat speed...more of a slider speed/AAAA bat. At the major league level, he quickly gets exposed with everyday playing time.

As the 4th outfielder and not getting 60-70% of the at-bats in a platoon situation, fine.

We don't need to pay DeAza $4.5-6.5 million to do that, certainly.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 10:04 PM)
Had an amazing game defensively. No surprise there. He's just a beast in CFer.

Hitting .333 with an ops over .800 since getting called up and getting regular playing time.

I still want him part of the team going forward. His defense is too good to pass up. lol at the haters.

We're using an 8-game sample in which he's hitting competently to "lol at the haters?"

You could take the worst hitters in the majors and find 8 games where they did well - toss in one homer, that's all you need. His defense is by no means too good to pass up and as others have said, a good team can't rely on a player like JorDanks.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 09:53 AM)
We're using an 8-game sample in which he's hitting competently to "lol at the haters?"

You could take the worst hitters in the majors and find 8 games where they did well - toss in one homer, that's all you need. His defense is by no means too good to pass up and as others have said, a good team can't rely on a player like JorDanks.

Except reality states that there are only so many starting OF's to go around. Most bench players are such because they aren't good enough to start. Danks is a fine 4th/5th OF in the majors.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)
Except reality states that there are only so many starting OF's to go around. Most bench players are such because they aren't good enough to start. Danks is a fine 4th/5th OF in the majors.

"Fine 4th OF" is his celing.

I have no problem with that assessment. In the 4th/5th OF role, he is going to be a PR, a defensive replacement, and somewhere around 150-200 ABs annually.

Right. Especially in the AL, when you are not double switching a lot, your 4th OF shouldn't be getting a lot of PAs. You need a guy on the roster who is good defensively at all three OF positions, can be used as a pinch runner, and is cheap. If that guy happens to be able to hit, that's just a bonus. I'm not paying DeAza $3M more than Danks to be the 4th OF just because DeAza's OPS will be 100 points higher.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)
Right. Especially in the AL, when you are not double switching a lot, your 4th OF shouldn't be getting a lot of PAs. You need a guy on the roster who is good defensively at all three OF positions, can be used as a pinch runner, and is cheap. If that guy happens to be able to hit, that's just a bonus. I'm not paying DeAza $3M more than Danks to be the 4th OF just because DeAza's OPS will be 100 points higher.

Especially when De Aza doesn't play RF, and doesn't like playing CF. Plus he is about as scary as PR as we could have on the bench.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 12:31 PM)
Eaton is at least two steps faster than Danks, IMO.

Danks, once he gets going, makes up ground with his longer strides, but lacks explosive quickness. It's why he hasn't been much of a basestealer in his career. Players at that height rarely have the acceleration necessary to reach top speed in their first 2-3 steps.

Eaton is shorter than Danks so he needs to be two steps quicker :lol: The reality though is you can never say that one guy will get to something the other guy didn't. That's just pure speculation. Danks and Eaton are both pretty good fielders. I don't think Danks needs to play every day the rest of the season to be evaluated by the management. They know what he can do and can't do by now. I personally am not sure Jordan Danks is an everyday player. He is a very good 4th OF'er though